• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: A question Reply with quote

a simple question, why don't we do like trombonists and call the notes by their name?

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: A question Reply with quote

Trumpjerele wrote:
a simple question, why don't we do like trombonists and call the notes by their name?

I don't understand the question. Do we not refer to notes by their names?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: A question Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Trumpjerele wrote:

I think he's asking why a Bb Trumpet is considered a "transposing" instrument, and a Bb Trombone is not and reads notes in the concert pitch.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: A question Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
trickg wrote:
Trumpjerele wrote:

I think he's asking why a Bb Trumpet is considered a "transposing" instrument, and a Bb Trombone is not and reads notes in the concert pitch.

Mike

Ok - so clearly you guys know more about this than I do. I'd always assumed that the trombone was a concert pitched instrument. Apparently it isn't.

And it is a good question.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: A question Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Ok - so clearly you guys know more about this than I do. I'd always assumed that the trombone was a concert pitched instrument. Apparently it isn't.

I know nothing. But it's my understanding that a tuba, euphonium, baritone, and trombone are all Bb instruments. And for some reason, it was decided that they would be non-transposing instruments and read in concert pitch. There are some exceptions (treble clef baritone, for example, is a transposing instrument).

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: A question Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
trickg wrote:

I know nothing. But it's my understanding that a tuba, euphonium, baritone, and trombone are all Bb instruments. And for some reason, it was decided that they would be non-transposing instruments and read in concert pitch. There are some exceptions (treble clef baritone, for example, is a transposing instrument).

Mike

So ultimately what's the difference? Is it a simple matter of shifting fingerings? For example, if we played a Bb concert scale but read it in concert pitch, we'd still play the same pitches with the same fingerings, just read them a step lower?
- ACB Doubler

Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there is the double french horn. You play an F part but the main horn in the double is in Bb. The other being in F. So you learn all kinds of new fingerings to do that. Then of course they hand you a part for Eb horn. So new fingerings plus transposing. Ain't music fun?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
supercow216

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I begin to learn trombone just now.

I have been playing without reading for a while, by connecting slide position with valve combination. So playing by ear is alright.

But reading bass clef plus transposing at the same time really hurt my brain. If I see a Bb or F, I instinctively reach for 3rd slide position even if I should not. Or when I see a Eb, my brain switch off

I am still learning!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In traditional British Brass Bands I think it's typical for all the instruments (tuba, baritone, t-bone?, alto horn?, trumpet / cornet) to all have the music written in treble clef - and the parts are written as 'transposed' - i.e. Bb cornet, Eb alto horn, Bb tuba, Bb t-bone.

The size of a tenor t-bone makes it a Bb instrument, but it is usual practice for the music to be written in bass clef at concert pitch - so the player needs to know the proper slide positions. That is also the case for euphonium - it's size makes it a Bb instrument.

A music historian might be able to give a better answer, but my guess is that the physical size of the various instruments evolved to provide the most acceptable sound quality, and ergonomics (handling). And the transposing is done to provide good function for reading the music, and fingering.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Wolfgang Winkler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is because when there were no valves available for trumpets and horns their music was written in C major and a minor always. They were transposing using the tuning loops accordingly. With the valves introduced Bb trumpets and F horns became most common. Trombones were able to play chromatically always. They had no need for being transposing. Baritons, tubas, tenor horns etc came later and are written in different keys depending on the region and tradition. Just my understanding...

Last edited by Wolfgang Winkler on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll try to clear up a little. In general when people learn to play the trumpet they learn that a C is open, a low D is 13, and so on. Technically speaking this is wrong because (thinking concert pitch), the respective notes are Bb and C, when you play open and 13, respectively. The same is true for baritone horns in German oompah bands and British brass bands, I think. So call a note something yet p,as something else when you think concert pitch. That’s why the trumpet is called a transposing instrument.

In contrast, a trombone or tuba player will see a C in the music and also play a concert C, so a Bb tuba player will play 13 and refer to this as a C.

Now, if you live in the part of Germany where I live, there are also trombone choirs (i.e. brass groups associated with a church). These will read the same way a tuba player does, that is, they will say C and refer to the note that is played 13 on a regular Bb trumpet.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had that discussion once in Holland and as a former trombone player for 28 years I found it next to impossible to explain that kind of stuff to trumpet players (and probably sax players). There are trumpets in different keys and for that reason the real world chose for a system in which the notation is coupled to the fingering of the instrument, so that you have on ALL trumpets in different keys a C played open. But playing that C, what comes out of the horns differs, it can be a C (C trumpet) , a Bflat (Bflat trumpet) a D (D trumpet) and so on, all written as C. It's easier for the player who plays more than one trumpet, a little more difficult for the arranger. Though a slide trombone is tuned in Bflat it behaves as a C instrument because from a musical theoretical point of view the (slide) trombone is a C instrument.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Simply, when the trombone plays 1st position the notes Bb and F can be played. These are the same notes in concert pitch that a trumpet plays as open, no valves (C and G). Both instruments "sound" concert Bb when played 1st position (slide all the way in) or open (0 valves) on the trumpet. The trombone slide positions greatly predate valve positions on a Bb trumpet and I think everything else has already been explained.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mind might be a little slow today, but concisely and logically, this makes the most sense to me.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, Simply, when the trombone plays 1st position the notes Bb and F can be played. These are the same notes in concert pitch that a trumpet plays as open, no valves (C and G). Both instruments "sound" concert Bb when played 1st position (slide all the way in) or open (0 valves) on the trumpet. The trombone slide positions greatly predate valve positions on a Bb trumpet and I think everything else has already been explained.

Dave

Funny, this is exactly what I meant as the impossibility to explain this stuff to trumpet players. The only thing Falado explains is that the trumpet and the trombone have both the Bflat as their root tone. It says nothing about the transposing problem. And I have no idea what he means with 'predate'. Might be that both instruments use a lengthening of the tube to produce the different notes. But that's it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if open C on trumpet is a concert Bb, doesn't that automatically imply that the trumpet part has to be transposed?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfgang Winkler wrote:
I think it is because when there were no valves available for trumpets and horns their music was written in C major and a minor always. They were transposing using the tuning loops accordingly. With the valves introduced Bb trumpets and F horns became most common. Trombones were able to play chromatically always. They had no need for being transposing. Baritons, tubas, tenor horns etc came later and are written in different keys depending on the region and tradition. Just my understanding...

Agreed. It all has to do with the history and development of each instrument. Trombones (sackbuts) have always been able to play chromatically. Trumpets and horns go back to antiquity with no valves until the early 1800s.

Baroque and some Renaissance parts were written for the harmonic series available for that pitched instrument. With crooks the player could play in lower keys than the "crook-less" for that pitched instrument.

In the very late 1700s, Anton Weidinger, trumpeter for Haydn and his successor Hummel in the Austrian-Hungarian Esterhazy Court, had an artisan first build a keyed trumpet in Eb, which allowed low chromatic possibilities. He approached both composers to write for it, which they did, and are recognized as two of the most important solo pieces in our rep. Valves were not invented and applied to horn and trumpet for another 10 years or so in the 1810s.

The tuba and euphonium did not first appear until the 1830s/40s and which have always had valves, so they have always been able to play chromatically. As builders created tubas in BBb, CC, Eb, F, composers continued to just write in bass clef (with no "transposition, per se), and just left it up to players to "learn new fingerings," which is how they think about it. We have to transpose, as do horn players (and btw, horn players don't like to be called French horn players...google it...which ads more confusion when we watch old movies like, "Young Man With a Horn"), and it all has to do with having a history and tradition of parts being written for transposing instruments. What this means for trumpet, particularly, is that we see a C and play an open C, whenever the part matches the pitched trumpet in hand. We may be playing an Eb tpt part on an Eb tpt, playing an open C on the horn, but it then is sounding a concert Eb. Ugh, this stuff is difficult to explain, but hopefully, it answers the basic question here.

I personally labored over understanding this for years...and then graduate studies finally revealed it to me...as I did some due diligence in the music library. It has got to be confusing for the rest of the music world, though, including most trumpet players that have never had orchestral training and spending hours in the practice room learning how to transpose to different keys from different pitched horns. Good question!

Correction: Weidinger had a keyed tpt then built in E for which Hummel composed his concerto. I'm guessing that Anton felt if he could get two insts that close in pitch, then he could conveniently play any piece, going back and forth between the two, without having to use a lot of weird fingerings.

Last edited by dstpt on Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kehaulani: yes exactly. I play with people who come from a trombone choir background and read concert pitch. Makes for odd sounds in the orchestra when I play 0 and they play 13 but we mean the same note
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the question is more than answered. It is a pleasure to read to people with so much knowledge about our instrument.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be too difficult to understand that it’s only a matter of agreement that we have transposing instruments and not a nature thing. We can change tomorrow a Bflat trumpet in a C instrument by changing the notation to concert pitch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: