• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

unable to change pitch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Are you a teacher or do you just play one on TH?

-
delano wrote:
Mr. JK just likes to post.

---------------------------------
If you think my suggestions or information is incorrect or not helpful, then feel free to make your own comments about the content of my posts.

The OP in this thread seems to have a basic misunderstanding of how pitch is produced and controlled, and perhaps does not have experience or training on embouchure use (inability to whistle).

And Billy B's videos for beginners might be very helpful if the OP can produce the necessary lip functions - which I think the OP is doing when playing a middle C.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

delano wrote:

Am I missing something? Why the animosity towards JK? I thought what he posted had some value - not the direction I would have gone with it, but there's more than one way to approach this instrument.

For what it's worth, I'm not a teacher, but I do have a lot of experience, and I learned much of what I know by doing it incorrectly first, then fixing it later. I don't know if that qualifies me or not, but I'm not going to stop offering advice that I think might be relevant.

Delano, JK has considerably fewer posts on TH than you do, so I'm not sure what kind of a comment that could be about how "Mr. JK just likes to post."

Gentlemen, that bully mentality and attitude has got to go - there's no place for that here on the TH.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Billy B wrote:

delano wrote:

Am I missing something? Why the animosity towards JK? I thought what he posted had some value - not the direction I would have gone with it, but there's more than one way to approach this instrument.

For what it's worth, I'm not a teacher, but I do have a lot of experience, and I learned much of what I know by doing it incorrectly first, then fixing it later. I don't know if that qualifies me or not, but I'm not going to stop offering advice that I think might be relevant.

Delano, JK has considerably fewer posts on TH than you do, so I'm not sure what kind of a comment that could be about how "Mr. JK just likes to post."

Gentlemen, that bully mentality and attitude has got to go - there's no place for that here on the TH.

I absolutely, totally agree. Those two posts demonstrate arrogance, pettiness and incredible bad taste. If you don't like what someone posts here there are polite and constructive ways to disagree such as posting what you think is a better and more accurate response to the topic being discussed.

Knowing something about playing trumpet that you can impart to others doesn't require a teaching degree or even having been a music major. Do these two posters really feel so threatened by Jay that they have to post defensive comments like the comments they posted here? Who appointed them the "qualification committee?" I agree with trickg that the bully mentality and attitude has got to go - there's no place for that here on TH.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summer I have spent time with my son teaching him to play the trumpet. He is 7 years old and had the same problem. After 4 or 5 days he got bored and stopped showing up in the room when he listened to me practice. I don't think what happens to him is something so strange. I can think of some things that you can try, but I'm not a trumpet teacher, nothing like that.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Play a note.
2. Blow lots of free and easy air (while maintaining sound)
3. Wiggle your fingers on the valves and make nonsense noises

As non-children learners, we often have preconceptions about how things work, how the embouchure is "supposed" to be, how we change notes, what things are supposed to sound like behind the horn, etc. We have to learn how to "play" (in the child sense of the word). Through play comes quicker learning and coordination.

Spend a week on the above and I think you'll subconsciously get over your plateau.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the rumble here. I posted something as an answer to mr. Billy B. who I see as one of the few (last?) posters around with knowledge about the things he's posting. For some reason other members here felt the need to intervene, why? And my post was in perspective a mildly relativating defence of mr. JK, believe it or not.
I think this post is necessary to place this topic in a wider perspective.

I don't blame mr. JK, he seems to like posting about embouchure things with obviously very limited knowledge of that kind of stuff. That's legal but on the other hand, don't be upset then, when somebody with better papers is criticizing you.
And trickg and Hermokiwi are behaving irresponsible by attacking that critic. As far as I know both don't have trumpet teachers' qualifications but both seem not to consider that as a hindrance to act like one (I do). But if somebody gives on this forum a, let's say, questionable advice about embouchure to a beginner then there is ample reason, maybe even an moral obligation, for somebody with more knowledge to correct that. Let's be happy with that especially for the person with the problem!

About some criple reasoning:
mr. JK is a member for 2 1/2 years and has 1189 posts which make for 1.86 per day.
I am a member for 12 1/2 years and have 2480 posts which make 0.53 per day.

And about arrogance, let's take a hypothetical situation:

A beginner has after three weeks of playing problems with playing more than one note on his horn and asks for help.
The answer:
On day 1, hour 1, I learned a one-octave Bb concert scale, one octave up and down, and "Mary Had a Little Lamb," starting on A.

Yes, very empathic indeed.

BTW, I am no way afraid to be banned from this forum. If I am not friendly enough to American standards, it is the way it is. I despise people who openly beg in their posts for banning people from this forum, like running to your mom or dad yelling that your little brother has stolen a cookie.

Last edited by delano on Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:23 am; edited 4 times in total
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

When I saw the original question from the OP my first though was: How is it possible that 3 weeks beginner does not trust his teacher and ask such a question to Internet ? There is something wrong somewhere.
That is why I asked who is the teacher and were she teaches ?
After this, the only serious answer would have been: you are a kid in trumpet playing, follow you teacher. If you already don’t trust her, find another because no one without knowing you, seeing you playing, can give you any serious advice.
Don’t forget the OP knows nothing to trumpet playing so we have to be very careful with any advice: can be harmful.
The difference between a good teacher and a player even experimented and full of goodwill is the teacher has taught tenths or hundreds of students. So he teaches what he think will work for the student in front of him, no system, when the experimented player teaches in the best case what worked for him.
Sorry if it not correct.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said mr. Voltrane.
I have been a teacher of law on University and High Business School for over 40 years but everytime we got people with knowledge (like lawyers) as beginning teachers, (who really believed that that knowledge was enough for teaching), they left behind groups of students in total dispair. Not out of lack of knowledge but out of missing teaching perspective and teaching insight.
For teaching you need a mindset for teaching, probably also for teaching the trumpet.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I don't understand the rumble here. I posted something as an answer to mr. Billy B. who I see as one of the few (last?) posters around with knowledge about the things he's posting. For some reason other members here felt the need to intervene, why? And my post was in perspective a mildly relativating defence of mr. JK, believe it or not.
I think this post is necessary to place this topic in a wider perspective.

I don't blame mr. JK, he seems to like posting about embouchure things with obviously very limited knowledge of that kind of stuff. That's legal but on the other hand, don't be upset then, when somebody with better papers is criticizing you.

And trickg and Hermokiwi are behaving irresponsible by attacking that critic. As far as I know both don't have trumpet teachers' qualifications but both seem not to consider that as a hindrance to act like one (I do). But if somebody gives on this forum a, let's say, questionable advice about embouchure to a beginner then there is ample reason, maybe even an moral obligation, for somebody with more knowledge to correct that. Let's be happy with that especially for the person with the problem!

About some criple reasoning:
mr. JK is a member for 2 1/2 years and has 1189 posts which make for 1.86 per day.
I am a member for 12 1/2 years and have 2480 posts which make 0.53 per day.

And about arrogance, let's take a hypothetical situation:

A beginner has after three weeks of playing problems with playing more than one note on his horn and asks for help.
The answer:
On day 1, hour 1, I learned a one-octave Bb concert scale, one octave up and down, and "Mary Had a Little Lamb," starting on A.

Yes, very empathic indeed.

BTW, I am no way afraid to be banned from this forum. If I am not friendly enough to American standards, it is the way it is. I despise people who openly beg in their posts for banning people from this forum, like running to your mom or dad yelling that your little brother has stolen a cookie.

Wow - there's so much absolute bull in the post above, it's hard to know where to start. I was well aware of the respective start dates of both you and JK. Nevertheless, you have posted more. To effect, what I've seen from JK actually seems to bear more relevance than what you post. I could care less what the numerical statistics are. A better statistic would be who has more posts full of useful information and who has more posts full of garbage. That one is pretty easy to answer.

Regarding my quote about my first day on the horn, you've conveniently taken that out of context - I specifically said regarding it, that although over the years I've developed insight about how to play and how to teach others to play this instrument, I don't know what it's like to struggle at the beginning. You also conveniently disregarded the three posts I made prior to that where I did offer advice, suggesting among other things:

-- Long tones
-- Articulation
-- Not worrying about the G, and working to develop what they currently have - it will come in time
-- Patience
-- Mouthpiece buzzing
-- Leadpipe buzzing

I also offered some words of encouragement to the OP with the idea that this stuggle at the beginning is temporary, and once they get past it they'll be able to move forward.

You, on the other hand, chose these fine words of wisdom as your first two posts in this thread.

delano wrote:
You're spoiling the party Voltrane.

delano wrote:

Not only did you not offer any advice, you didn't address the OP at all. I'm not sure what you actually contribute here except you seem to be pretty adept in your efforts to tear others down.

I'll submit again that this kind of mentality and attitude - a bullying mentality and attitude - has no place here on this board, and if that's the way you are going to post, maybe you should take some time off of the board until you can learn to do that. We're here to lift each other up, not tear each other down.

Regarding my qualifications to teach, what exactly is that? I've got 40 years on the horn, over 30 of which I have played at a professional level. I played regularly at the White House for the President of the United States. I played in a premier US Military Band. I've gotten paid to play trumpet since I was 17. I've given lessons and taught high school kids. In what way am I not qualified to give advice to a beginning player? What more credentials do I need?

Let's not forget that one of the most highly regarded brass instructors did not (to my knowledge) have a music degree, and actually never played brass - he played piano, violin and saxophone.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. trickg, normally I don't react on your posts, you belong to a group of people I see no benefit in to disagree about opinions, but I make now one tiny exception. I know what made you furious about me and I'm sure you know, but to make such a noise about my two simple posts of which you don't understand the irony for even one bit and which are NOT AT ALL aimed at you, using criple reasoning only to get your gram towards me is an abuse of this forum. And there is a big difference between playing abilities and teaching abilties. For example, being a very good football player (I mean European football, you may call that soccer) makes very seldom a good coach. Though they may have more experience, more playing skills and so on, they still are lousy or, if lucky, mediocre coaches.
You don't understand it but your opinion on teaching is de facto an insult.
And go of my back, find a job, do something useful.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back to something that's actually worthwhile to this thread, to our Original Poster, chucalim, keep us posted on your progress. Hopefully in a couple of weeks this will be just a bump in the road and your embouchure will start to develop.
- ACB Doubler

Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote « To point a point on it, I didn't criticize any of what Voltrane posted that was on topic. I criticized the fact that he wanted to tear down another member who was trying to offer advice, regardless of their pedigree. « 
No offense intended but are you sure you don’t confuse me with someone else? I never wanted to tear down another member and do not read something like that in my 2 posts.
Where do you think I did this?
Thanks.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
Patrick wrote « To point a point on it, I didn't criticize any of what Voltrane posted that was on topic. I criticized the fact that he wanted to tear down another member who was trying to offer advice, regardless of their pedigree. « 
No offense intended but are you sure you don’t confuse me with someone else? I never wanted to tear down another member and do not read something like that in my 2 posts.
Where do you think I did this?
Thanks.

I did - my mistake. Clearly I hadn't fueled myself with enough caffeine when I posted that. I'll go back and amend it. My apologies on that - I was wrong.
- ACB Doubler

Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! I feared that my English was even worse than I thought!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
As far as I know both don't have trumpet teachers' qualifications but both seem not to consider that as a hindrance to act like one (I do).

What is your complete definition of "trumpet teachers' qualifications"?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
delano wrote:
As far as I know both don't have trumpet teachers' qualifications but both seem not to consider that as a hindrance to act like one (I do).

What is your complete definition of "trumpet teachers' qualifications"?

At this point I'm going to stop feeding the trolls. I myself was curious about that very thing, but decided not to pursue it further.
- ACB Doubler

chucalim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your advices, exercices, video link, personal opinion... and passionate debate (didn't expect to have it going that way).

Regarding my teacher, having posted here is not a lack of trust, but since she had never had this issue with a student, I was searching for similar experience. She has a music teaching degree and teaching is her job. I fully trust her, even if she hasn't succeed to "click" me yet. She refers to me as "the phenomenon", ahah, I'd rather be the "high extended pitch phenomenon". She works in the local music school where I studied the piano, violin and drums. Full confidence in the institution.
(Btw, a work colleague - trumpet player for years - thought I was laughing at him not be able to make a low G and tried 2h long to have me doing it. Exercices, test, explanation,... Final conclusion "you must have something wrong with your anatomy")

For now, we explore the low pitch area (below low C), to find some confidence and relaxation that we could use for higher notes. Maybe also something to work on the position of the MP on the lips... we'll see.

Today, just after my course, a 14 year old beginner started his course with a full scale warm up, easily. Soooo frustrating

Thanks again to all, teachers or not.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chucalim, without being able to see how you're playing everything you get from a forum topic is just a guess. Some may be educated guesses, but it's sort of like trying to get a medical doctor to give you treatment without an examination. Similar symptoms can be caused by a wide variety of issues both in health and brass playing.

It is unusual to not be able to get up to a third space C in the amount of time that you've been playing. Keep in mind that different anatomical characteristics can make a musician's embouchure function sometimes in the exact opposite way from another player. Unfortunately, these things are not widely recognized in the field and many fine teachers aren't sure of how to teach some of the less common embouchure types or even are aware that there are different ways to play.

Hypothetically, if I was working with you in a lesson I would experiment with trying to start playing on the third space C from the beginning rather than on the low C and bringing it up. My first step would be to try to get you to have a firmed embouchure formation where the muscular effort is concentrated at and just under your mouth corners and your chin would be held flat. Getting your lip formation in place could get you moving forward by itself.

I would also test some different mouthpiece placements (higher, lower, even to one side) and see how far up, down, and to either side of your lips you could place the mouthpiece and see what works. Everyone's anatomy is different and it's not always obvious where the mouthpiece placement is going to work best. Some players have very unusual looking placements. It's important to go after where it sounds and works best, not how it looks.

As a beginner, I would also be spending some time to make sure that you're holding the trumpet consistently in a correct way and also that your posture is good. This helps in other areas, but the way you hold your instrument and sit or stand is going to affect the way the mouthpiece is placed on the lips and how it is held there. It's important for beginners to establish good habits early and to be consistent with that.

It's OK to seek the advice of other teachers too, if you have other options. Your current teacher can be a very fine one but sometimes it takes hearing the same advice put a little differently to make things click for you. There are some excellent teachers who are teaching online through video chats now, so there are plenty of options for a one-shot lesson too.

Dave
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, how's he going to play a Middle C if he can't play above a Low C?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dave, how's he going to play a Middle C if he can't play above a Low C?

I think it's possible for almost everyone to play a 3rd space C in the first lesson or three. If a beginning student can't get above a low C I suspect that there's something that the student is doing (or not doing) that is setting them up to be stuck in that range. For example, pinning the lips open with the rim when they set the mouthpiece on the lips or having the jaw too open. I can think of several other things that might result in a player being stuck in the low register like this.

Again, seeing what it looks like is the way to go. We really can't say what chucalim needs to be doing unless we get the chance to see it.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: