• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

unable to change pitch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxTb2gEaTU4

Original Poster,

watch this and nothing else 5 times a day and do what is says to do, save yourself years of time "trying" to figure it out. the answer is in this video. Watch it, learn it, do it, repeat !!

all the best!

tom
chucalim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I watched it, and I tried the whole exercice from scratch, following the steps on the video. Only C goes out, nothing more without putting so much energy.
I gave my wife the instrument today, with some advice I received day one : she naturally played a G, and a few minutes later lower C and 3rd space C... She explained to me that she had the feeling that she may change something or adapt in a way, but she can't tell me what she does.

Here a recording of me in which you will see that I am not so relax when I tried to get to G. But if I don't do this, nothing gets out.
And you must understand that : when I try G, if I stay relax, singing in my head the note, playing the note on the piano, straight back on the chair, etc... nothing happens, because, basically nothing changes in my mouth or throat or lips or whatever.
The trumpet is a yamaha 2330, and the MP Bach 1 1/2 C, for what it's worth.

https://youtu.be/xo1loB5g5vU
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Billy B's video, I believe he recommends setting the lips by pronouncing 'mom' (American style) - and that is fine.

I suggest that after doing the 'mom' bit, you add a little tension (while keeping the 'mom' setting) to your lips by positioning them as if you were going to say 'pee' with tightened lips - do not 'pout' your lips outward, the 'pee' should give a slight feeling of tension to the lip tissue.

By adjusting the pitch that the 'pee' sound would have, you might be able to adjust the pitch that you play on the trumpet - or just the leadpipe, as in the Bill B video.

Perhaps have your wife try the 'pee' method - if might be different for her, but it might help her describe what she feels.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonSoir!

Just watched your video - I admire you for posting that - loads of experts in this forum. Wilktone is a great resource here - and hopefully now that you have posted a video he will come back to you.

I am like you in in that I started the trumpet late, in my case aged 53, 4.9 years ago. Before that my main hobby was Running/Triathlons.
I have no musical experience and I am self taught. (correction - I think i have 100+ teachers on the internet, you tube , this forum etc) I love learning the trumpet and play it 2 to 4 hours a day - but usually not more than 10/15 minutes at a time.

I am starting to feel like I am "on the way" now as a Player.. (c above the staff now starting to feel easy)

So LOTS OF PEOPLE with heaps more expertise and experience than me but my advice./ things I wish I had worked out quicker!

MORE EFFORT is never the answer (for Me!) - I used to blow until red in the face - you are not making this mistake - on the video you look very relaxed and calm - despite these frustrations - you're more mature than me in this respect!) If you feel tired take a break. you mention "abs" but I was playng c above staff to day and didn't think at all about compression - I'm sure I could get kicked out of any Trumpet school for writing that but c'est vrai! Having said that the cheeks of my bottom are compressed together when I play.

TINY imperceptible changes can make a difference. This might just be a "thought" change. So to give you an example - I might be playing an e in the staff - then just imagine the note moving from inside my mouth to the top of my head and a g top of the staff would pop out - I didn't consciously change anything. It take me about 2 years learning to understand how minute/imperceptibly small adjustments need to be. Changing pitch gets a lot easier as you get higher (notes closer together) so I just might think about my air passing under top teeth and the pitch will change..)

FORGET "blowing" all you need to do is excite the air already in the trumpet.
Again it took me 2 or 3 years to get that. (you have read to the opposite here but for me the whole concept of blowing balloons was a step in the wrong direction..)

1. Play with as closed an embouchure as you can, whilst staying relaxed. Aim to put as much of both lips into you mouthpiece as possible.
(On your video do I notice you lips seperating a touch as they kiss the mouthpiece)

or 2. Try rolling in the lips (the way you wife does when she puts on lip stick)

3 Without a mouthpiece place lips together and then see how you need to move you lips to change the air stream so that you feel it on your nose and then on your chin - now try the same with the trumpet. (received wisdom is that one lip needs to be more dominant but this is Wilktone's bread and butter)

4 Your throat area - Don't try and understand how it does it but imagine, as you play, something is happening at the back of your mouth/throat area to change pitch - this might be the idea of an elevator /lift going up and down. Experiment - it might be when you though the lift was going down the pitch went up..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the first two years I spent too much time worrying about "Air" "Tongue arch" "Air speed" I have nothing to back this up but from the start I should have worked out that tiny tiny stress changes on your face, muscles around your mouth, wrinkling your nose, jaw position, moving your eye brows can help you change pitch.

I have never taught anyone on the trumpet but if I did I would encourage a set up when the first note they could play would be an e near the top of the staff or a g at the top of the staff. Because at this stage you have nothing to lose you can try almost anything...

Hopefully something here helps - 75% of replies here are going to be about getting a teacher but mais à la fin de la journée tu es toi-même le meilleur professeur... (editor's note - Thank you Google translate)

cheers for now and stay safe - Steve in Helsinki

PS I have but one secret from my Number 1 supporter.. she thinks I speak fluent French...

Last edited by steve0930 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
In Billy B's video, I believe he recommends setting the lips by pronouncing 'mom' (American style) - and that is fine.

I suggest that after doing the 'mom' bit, you add a little tension (while keeping the 'mom' setting) to your lips by positioning them as if you were going to say 'pee' with tightened lips - do not 'pout' your lips outward, the 'pee' should give a slight feeling of tension to the lip tissue.

By adjusting the pitch that the 'pee' sound would have, you might be able to adjust the pitch that you play on the trumpet - or just the leadpipe, as in the Bill B video.

Perhaps have your wife try the 'pee' method - if might be different for her, but it might help her describe what she feels.

NO The EEE vowel is all wrong.

Last edited by Billy B on Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chucalim wrote:
yes, I watched it, and I tried the whole exercice from scratch, following the steps on the video. Only C goes out, nothing more without putting so much energy.
I gave my wife the instrument today, with some advice I received day one : she naturally played a G, and a few minutes later lower C and 3rd space C... She explained to me that she had the feeling that she may change something or adapt in a way, but she can't tell me what she does.

Here a recording of me in which you will see that I am not so relax when I tried to get to G. But if I don't do this, nothing gets out.
And you must understand that : when I try G, if I stay relax, singing in my head the note, playing the note on the piano, straight back on the chair, etc... nothing happens, because, basically nothing changes in my mouth or throat or lips or whatever.

STOP BUZZING THE MOUTHPIECE!

You have an incredible amount of tension that is preventing your lips from vibrating freely. This is what we commonly refer to as "constipated turd tone". I have heard this literally hundreds of times.

I can fix your problem IF you do exactly as I say.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some preliminary thoughts for you, chucalim. It's much easier to help in person, or at least in real time over a video chat, but here are some things to try out and see how they work for you.

Do recognize that it will take some effort to play higher. Building embouchure strength and control will make it feel like it takes less energy. I don't think that you're keeping things too loose, but if you're trying to make it feel effortless you might be.

While at the beginner stage I don't think it's very helpful to try to mess around with your mouthpiece placement too much, allow your mouthpiece to go wherever it works best. The placement looks fine for how most brass musicians play best, but that's not ideal for others. It's ok to place the mouthpiece higher, lower, or even to one side.

Likewise your horn angle looks common, but you might actually play better with your horn angle a little lower or even a little higher. If bringing your lower jaw forward seems to help maybe your need to also bring your horn angle up more. If that shows promise I'd also experiment by placing the mouthpiece low enough so that there's more lower lip inside the mouthpiece than upper lip, maybe even so much that there's 80-90% lower lip inside. But again, at your stage it might not be the best thing for you to mess around with placement and horn angle too much.

Generally speaking, I think it might be better for you to think about overall embouchure form first. When you go to play higher it appears as if you're trying to do that by squeezing your lips up and down against each other. Instead, try drawing them back against the teeth more firmly. It's hard to say in the short clip you posted, but you might also be pinning your lips open somewhat with the mouthpiece. Try firming your lips up before placing the mouthpiece, then set the mouthpiece on the lips, then breathe through your nose without disturbing your embouchure formation. See if that helps you get up higher.

I would also experiment some by having your buzz your lips without the mouthpiece (very soft and mosquito-like sound) and bring the instrument up to your lips while buzzing. For some players this can be both a good exercise to develop the muscular strength and control where it should be focused (at the mouth corners and chin) and also help with learning how to draw the lips back against the teeth, rather than clamping them together.

See about a more closed jaw position. Rather than thinking of how open you can have your jaw, see how closed you can keep it and still play.

I would agree that mouthpiece buzzing isn't doing you much good, so try avoiding that and see what happens.

A lot of the above suggestions to try might be best considered as experiments. My follow through advice depend on what the results are and also watching what you're physically doing while trying them out. As I mentioned above, this is best done in real time, if possible, which is why we meet with teachers.

Keep us posted as to how things go and what advice any of us gives you that does the trick for you.

Dave
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chucalim wrote:

i am not an expert, but offer advice based on "my" experience. learning to correctly blow the lead pipe and acquire the correct buzzing sound will help you relax into your sound. I hear lots of tension in your low C. The tension sounds like its coming from your buzzing of the mouthpiece. Try this: Say the Letter "M", with lips in "M" position, place mouthpiece to lips, than blow air through your mouthpiece after saying "POOHH". Remember don't buzz your lips, just blow air. Only a small hole should be opening in your lips when you blow. Where is young tongue ? the tip of it should be somewhere around the gum line and tooth line of your bottom teeth. Where is the air coming from, it should be flowing out of your throat easily but fully. Do this a few times to establish airflow. Now holding you mouthpiece and trumpet, start the the air as above and insert your mouthpiece into your lead pipe with the tuning slide out of your horn.
If your doing it correctly the lead pipe will resonate instantly, if your not, your lips are probably too far apart or to tightly squeezing together. I have done this with many people and all have produced a buzzing lead pipe. It's a "feel" thing, its not technical. I know i'll get clobbered for offering advice, but it help me, and when done correctly it will help you achieve a sound without "tension". Don't even say that word.

all the best.

tom
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krell1960 wrote:
chucalim wrote:

i am not an expert, but offer advice based on "my" experience. learning to correctly blow the lead pipe and acquire the correct buzzing sound will help you relax into your sound. I hear lots of tension in your low C. The tension sounds like its coming from your buzzing of the mouthpiece. Try this: Say the Letter "M", with lips in "M" position, place mouthpiece to lips, than blow air through your mouthpiece after saying "POOHH". Remember don't buzz your lips, just blow air. Only a small hole should be opening in your lips when you blow. Where is young tongue ? the tip of it should be somewhere around the gum line and tooth line of your bottom teeth. Where is the air coming from, it should be flowing out of your throat easily but fully. Do this a few times to establish airflow. Now holding you mouthpiece and trumpet, start the the air as above and insert your mouthpiece into your lead pipe with the tuning slide out of your horn.
If your doing it correctly the lead pipe will resonate instantly, if your not, your lips are probably too far apart or to tightly squeezing together. I have done this with many people and all have produced a buzzing lead pipe. It's a "feel" thing, its not technical. I know i'll get clobbered for offering advice, but it help me, and when done correctly it will help you achieve a sound without "tension". Don't even say that word.

all the best.

tom

EXCELLENT!

The only thing I would change would be to use the AH vowel. There is a reason the doctor has you say AH.
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
krell1960 wrote:
chucalim wrote:

i am not an expert, but offer advice based on "my" experience. learning to correctly blow the lead pipe and acquire the correct buzzing sound will help you relax into your sound. I hear lots of tension in your low C. The tension sounds like its coming from your buzzing of the mouthpiece. Try this: Say the Letter "M", with lips in "M" position, place mouthpiece to lips, than blow air through your mouthpiece after saying "POOHH". Remember don't buzz your lips, just blow air. Only a small hole should be opening in your lips when you blow. Where is your tongue ? the tip of it should be somewhere around the gum line and tooth line of your bottom teeth. Where is the air coming from, it should be flowing out of your throat easily but fully. Do this a few times to establish airflow. Now holding you mouthpiece and trumpet, start the the air as above and insert your mouthpiece into your lead pipe with the tuning slide out of your horn.

all the best.

tom

EXCELLENT!

The only thing I would change would be to use the AH vowel. There is a reason the doctor has you say AH.

yes i agree, just said AH a few times. tongue is out of the way and in better position, said "poohh" as a means to start airflow. But thanks for putting out that video.

tom
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick thought for chucalim: What do your lips do when you place the mouthpiece? They should stay together lightly, not part. (I had that problem.)
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: unable to change pitch Reply with quote

chucalim wrote:
Hi,

[please excuse my english, I am french]

I just started the trumpet three weeks ago, and among the usual difficulties, this one puzzles me and my teacher : I am unable to change pitch.

I am not talking about high C or above, but just the first G is out of reach. Sometimes I got it for just a sec with a lot of pressure and abdominal strength.

For now : I can perform a quite stable first C with the trumpet, and a D with much less stability, and… that's it.

Okay I see you posted video - excellent. Taking a look.

Your English is better than that of a *lot* of Americans I see online!
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He already did.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having watched your video I would say to begin with your situation isn't as dysfunctional as your original post would suggest given the short period you've been playing. I'd say what you're going through is pretty normal. And guess what - as you get better the horn going to continue to fight you - lol.

Welcome to the trumpet! 🎺

Your placement looks good. You *can* get to a G and even touch on a C.

To improve from where you are in that video two things that I believe need to happen - use more air and use your facial muscles differently than you're currently using them. The first is easier to get to than the second.

Play that C and open the sound more. Not blatty but bigger. Then the D, the F etc. up to the G. Play all of them with more gusto than how you're currently doing it.

When you do that, subtle changes will happen with everything you're doing - facial muscles, tongue placement, teeth opening. When playing a nice fat G try to be aware of how it feels because that's how it needs to feel to play it that way. The idea is to train yourself to get used to making the subtle changes needed.

To go from low C to G as an interval jump requires a change, I'd say when you're trying to make that interval jump besides not using enough air you're squeezing the muscles the wrong way.

Now here's the catch - the muscles do have to squeeze a bit but it has to be the right way. Miracle of nature that they are, the muscles are extremely complex and will alter in endless subtle ways. You have to find the way that gives you the sound and functionality you want to achieve.

As far as my flippant comment above about the horn fighting you - what it boils down to is that trumpet has lots of potential - you have to meet the requirements of the instrument to utilize that potential. A pro would pick up that same instrument and play the stew out of it.

Work on that sound from low C to G for now. When you really think you've got it, add an A. Then a B. Then a C. Blow, go for a solid sound.

1. Push more air
2. Do what you need to do to get a solid sound on every note

As a suggestion - if your current teacher is truly baffled by your situation you might contemplate finding another teacher.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's been (almost) a week. How's it going, chucalim? Any progression?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chucalim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for now, not really...

I've got a lot of information to process, thanks to all.
My 8y old son is learning the clarinet - 1st year also, and we both have the same homework and simple sheets to play. I think for the next two weeks I will make some tests and mainly seek joy playing our two staff pieces together.
First session yesterday : lot of fun, not so much frustration ("et dis donc papa, tu t'améliores !")

Next update in two weeks !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: