• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Considering starting a mouthpiece safari, looking for advice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Considering starting a mouthpiece safari, looking for advice Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have been playing Curry mouthpieces exclusively for nearly 12 years. I have been pleased with them, but I'm considering looking at other pieces now.

The reason for my interest in starting a safari is that over the last 2 years I've really made some significant improvements in my playing. As I started to improve I bought a new trumpet and the new horn jumped me up yet another notch.

After thinking about how my hard work and a new trumpet combined to boost my ability now I can't help but wonder if a different mouthpiece would also be of benefit.

I play both trumpet and cornet. I use a Curry 3BBC on cornet and I'm happy with that piece. For trumpet I play a 3C. 95% of the time for general work. Now I'm playing in a dance band and I need some zing to my sound (and any added ease of high range would be nice also).

I've looked at some Bob Reeves and GR and I'm stunned at how expensive they are, so buying a boatload of mouthpieces on a whim is not an option.

I have all the popular Curry trumpet pieces, here is what I experience with each:

3C. - great for quintet and concert band work

3M. - My current "Lead" piece, but I'm wondering if there is something better out there

3Z. - No doubt this is a bright piece with some zing to it, but it's so shallow that I bottom out on it.

3*. - This one is weird for me. I don't really get much of a boost from it, but it is bright.

One thing I really like about Curry is that every 3 rim feels the same on my face, so if I switch I would probably want to switch my cornet piece and replace my 3C as well so that everything felt consistent.

So, does anyone have some wisdom for me ? That wisdom could be a recommendation for a new piece, or to stick with what I have and keep working.

Thanks !!
atrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Curry DE? I play a 5de from time to time and like it a lot. Also works on my pic tpt and i don't bottom out. I also think to your question that Warburton pieces, which you can pick up 2nd hand on marketplace would be worthwhile to mess around on without too much $$ and see if a backbore/cup size would be more to your liking.

Mostly musicals and church gigs with the occasional jazz jam
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit up Doug at www.vennture.mp - don't do what I did and waste thousands on pieces which "might fit" - dial it in with Doug, VennCAD and get one of the best made mouthpieces today

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Mark Curry's 3 rim, stick with it and just experiment with the parameters of the cup, throat, and back bore.

By all accounts, Mark custom manufactures some great stuff.

A different mouthpiece would likely not improve your overall playing as much as upgrading your horn did, because you already have great equipment at the mouthpiece end.

Best strategy: add to your Curry 3-rim mouthpiece collection so that you can choose mouthpieces that suit the needs of the particular music you will perform.

As long as you stick with a Curry 3-rim, you will need to adjust only your "wind" mechanics (which most accomplished players do subconsciously anyway) rather than your entire embouchure (which can screw up your playing for months as you train a different area of your lips to vibrate sympathetically with the standing wave that resonates in the air column of your horn).
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is how long you gave each of these a try. It might take some period of time to acclimate to something sufficiently different from what you play, i.e. the Z piece. Also, it sounds like the star piece worked for you but perhaps you have too high of expectations on what a new mouthpiece should do?
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Curry 30M..... I have a 30C also that is a close second. What works for me might not work for you. I was just thinking the other day that of all the physical features that vary from one person to another, our mouths and associated parts are on par with fingerprints for uniqueness but win out on variance.

I'm a perpetual novice but I can knock my cornets into dog whistle territory with the 30 M and almost as simply as thinking it, rather than giving myself a hernia.

Apparently, according to the charts, the 30 M is 1/32 in smaller in diameter than the 3M. If you want to bet on a shallower piece, perhaps the 30S might be worth a try. I'm looking forward to acquiring a 3OM trumpet now. Tempted to try an S.

Another great thing about Mark Curry's MPCs is his customer service is really good for such a small operation and I know he was super busy moving to Pensacola from .... I think the midwest or some place with snow.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to contact me and I will help you figure out which GR's to try, then go through Thompson Music in Nebraska as they can ship to you, and they offer a return policy. Either that, or look up our consultants to see if any are in your area. Perhaps Reeves offers assistance as well.

GR Consultants:
https://www.grmouthpieces.com/category-s/249.htm

Thompson Music:
(402) 289-9699

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a problem contacting Curry for a consultation?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
Apparently, according to the charts, the 30 M is 1/32 in smaller in diameter than the 3M. If you want to bet on a shallower piece, perhaps the 30S might be worth a try.

I double-checked the Curry site and confirmed that the 30-series rim is MUCH smaller (smaller than a Schilke 6A4a) than any Bach 3-series rim. But there are several Curry 600-series sizes in between in case the OP wants something not quite as different.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider something a little less disruptive - a backbore safari.

Mouthpiece express has the Curry 3M threaded top (only) in stock. You can then confine your safari to just commercial backbores. Warburton has some interesting ones, Pickett, Ken Titmus has some. You might find some on TH Marketplace.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have something to work with already: a bunch of mouthpieces to try, a good grasp of what you want and how they work, and a potentially suitable candidate (the 3M). It'll save you some headaches and money obsessing over a potentially 'better' mouthpiece when you have so many nice ones already...

...however, trying new gear is fun, so I wish you much luck! My personal favorite brand, AR Resonance, is worth checking out imho (though see if you can try before you buy). Enjoy!
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:
Feel free to contact me and I will help you figure out which GR's to try, then go through Thompson Music in Nebraska as they can ship to you, and they offer a return policy. Either that, or look up our consultants to see if any are in your area.

This.

I too thought that GR mouthpieces were expensive until I played one. I also agree that if you start trying them haphazard it can get expensive. You can find one used for half the price of new. If you are patient the size you are looking for will show up either in the marketplace, ebay, Thompson, etc. I play mostly big band with a little community band thrown in and have played a lot of different 3Cs including Curry. I would recommend something in the GR 66 series. I personally like the 66MS. Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say to stick with Curry. Moving to another maker, GR, Warburton, Pickett will all add up to another large investment. You may gain something (musical) but you may lose something too.
You mentioned the one huge plus with Curry's pieces.. the rim is consistent within each series, less chop "confusiion" when swithcing from horn to horn, mouthpiece to mouthpiece.

If you're interested in a small safari, look into Curry's with different blanks, you may be surpised with the differences. I've settled into Curry's that have been cut into a 2 piece design, like Warburton's, which I get through MouthpieceExpress. To get the "cuts" the blanks are more standard in shape vs Curry's standard blank.. You would then also have the ability to mess with different backbores while keeping the same rim/cup.
I find them to have a tic more life in the sound, a bit free-er.

If you do want to experiment, I'd think the best bet would be to visit the store where you can play and compare, and receive some guidance from the makers - i.e. visit Pickett's or Warburton's shop. Or wait for one of the conferences NAMM, ITG where you'd have the chance to compare many.

BTW the 3* and 3M are both "medium" depth cups, differently shaped with different backbore flairs.. 3* more commercial, 3M more legit.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a 70m for about 20 years. This last year switched to a 70s #24 throat.

Switching to s cup from m cup was an easier transition than it seemed like it would be at first. After that I decided to open the throat a few sizes from 27 to 24 along with picking up a 70C #24 throat.

Lately I have been thinking about the Jens Lindemann article on mouthpieces and Allen Vizzutti’s perspective as well. Smaller diameters may be on the horizon in my own experimenting.

Some would say its too wide being equivilant to a 1.5 bach rim on the curry comparison chart. As I play I feel like I could still buzz on something smaller in width and gain some endurance.

The 50S & 50C is probably next up to try here.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Lately I have been thinking about the Jens Lindemann article on mouthpieces and Allen Vizzutti’s perspective as well. .

Do you have a link to those references ? Thanks.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Lately I have been thinking about the Jens Lindemann article on mouthpieces and Allen Vizzutti’s perspective as well. .

Do you have a link to those references ? Thanks.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157808
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the very helpful comments.

I'm going to start with the idea of changing up backbores to see what that does. I'm really hesitant to start messing with new rims after 10 or 12 years on the same rim.

I don't know much about backbores and throats and how if effects playing, but it looks like I'm going to start learning.

Thanks again for the good feedback !!
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Consider something a little less disruptive - a backbore safari.

Mouthpiece express has the Curry 3M threaded top (only) in stock. You can then confine your safari to just commercial backbores. Warburton has some interesting ones, Pickett, Ken Titmus has some. You might find some on TH Marketplace.

So excuse the Newbie question, but if I buy that Curry top, do all the backbores you mention fit ? In other words, is the thread size on tops and backbores standardized across all manufacturers ?
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Griego pieces I love them
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have lots of good advice. A couple of other ideas.
1. Identify what it is you are seeking to improve with a different mouthpiece -- better blow, tighter blow, different tone, etc.)
2. Start close and work outward in ever larger circles, always coming back home for a check. Like a scared kitten in a new environment.

3. ........ Have fun.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: