• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Define "Walk in"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Define "Walk in"? Reply with quote

Don't want anyone to do my work for me, (can't seem to get an effective search going), so I'm just asking to be pointed in the right direction.

I have seen "Walk in" referred to and would like to know what it is. Not looking for micro-analysis, just so I know what they're talking about. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding:

Buzz a pitch, and present the horn to your embouchure, continuing the same pitch through the horn.

I was taught this by Rich way back and again by Chris Labarbera - if I have misunderstood/remembered, Rich will set me straight.

It helps focus the chops - for me, the "flabby bottom lip" issue was addressed by this.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. Makes sense in the context it was used in.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
My understanding:

Buzz a pitch, and present the horn to your embouchure, continuing the same pitch through the horn. ...

-----------------------------------
Is there more to it than just 'present the horn to your embouchure' ?
That doesn't seem to imply or include anything I'd associate with the term 'walk in', or somehow finding / adjusting a particular setting position.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
bach_again wrote:
My understanding:

Buzz a pitch, and present the horn to your embouchure, continuing the same pitch through the horn. ...

-----------------------------------
Is there more to it than just 'present the horn to your embouchure' ?
That doesn't seem to imply or include anything I'd associate with the term 'walk in', or somehow finding / adjusting a particular setting position.

What do you associate with the term, and if you don't mind - I am interested where it was learned.

I didn't go into detail, but you do this on a wet embouchure to allow you to move a little should you misplace.

It helps you engage and become aware of the corners and establish the legs of the embouchure. For me it helps with the flabby bottom lip. I rarely do this now, but I was taught to do this at a time where I needed to do this. It's now in the toolkit for myself and my students should it be necessary.

It is important that you buzz as per Reinhardt's instructions. "a high mosquito like tone"

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend Mike pretty well summed it up. I would emphasize the fact that the buzz is uninterrupted . . . the buzz turns into a sound once contact is made with the mouthpiece. This way you know that you’re producing the sound on your horn the same way that you were producing a buzz with your lips. If the sound stops even for an instant then you have not correctly buzzed and walked into the mouthpiece (horn).

And yes, wet lips, although Doc told me that even if I didn’t think the mouthpiece landed exactly where I play to go ahead and let it turn into a sound and play the note anyway.

When I was a low placement IIIB it was easy to place the mouthpiece too high and I remember having some trouble with that 40 years ago. Now that I’m a IIIA it’s fine for me to place the mouthpiece “too high” because it’s almost impossible for me to place too high.

JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
What do you associate with the term, and if you don't mind - I am interested where it was learned.

I didn't go into detail, but you do this on a wet embouchure to allow you to move a little should you misplace. ...

-----------------------
I was thinking of the words 'walk in' as 'common language' with more movement than just 'present' or 'place'. I have not done any real studying of Reinhardt's methods, and could not find an explanation of 'walk in' in the limited material that I did find.

Your mention of having wet lips and allowing movement is useful.

BeboppinFool wrote:
... I would emphasize the fact that the buzz is uninterrupted . . . the buzz turns into a sound once contact is made with the mouthpiece. This way you know that you’re producing the sound on your horn the same way that you were producing a buzz with your lips. If the sound stops even for an instant then you have not correctly buzzed and walked into the mouthpiece (horn). ...

------------------
Thanks to both - I think I now have a better understanding of the process and its use.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: