• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Photo of Doc's Office in Philly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Photo of Doc's Office in Philly Reply with quote

For those of you who never got there and wonder what it looked like, and for those of you who did get there and would like a fond memory, here’s a photo of Doc’s office at 1720 Chestnut Street in Philly that I took in October of 1975. There was nothing more exciting than to climb the stairs to the second floor and know that Doc was waiting to sort you out and make you a better player and person!

BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for submitting this, Bob!

I started with Doc in June of 1978, so this was three years before I ever saw the place.

He really was quite the character. Halfway up the stairs you could smell the cigar smoke. Did he send you out for coffee at some point during every lesson and then let it sit until it got cold? I suspect he preferred it cold.

That office was a mess, but it was a beautiful mess! All that gorgeous chaos and disorganization, but by George he knew right where everything was!

I remember the statue of Louis Armstrong in the outer office. I remember the paint falling off the ceiling. I remember the street noise during lessons and on my tapes.

Yes, a flood of memories for sure. Thanks again, Bob!
LowerSlower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that! Maybe '76-78?

He used to talk about the Native American iron workers building a nearby skyscraper.
Said that the back of Maynard's "MF Horn 3", with the b & w pic of Maynard playing was the "perfect embouchure". Had it prominently displayed in the studio.

My trumpet teacher in college was completely useless. The music faculty HATED the jazz "department", and used to tell us "jazz is not legitimate music".
I don't know if that was from racism, ignorance, jealousy (the jazz bands attracted students from all over the country, while the hideous orchestra had to use ringers), or all three.

I learned a lot from Doc. Still do his "Warm Up # 57" some 44 years later.
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he'd sit on the couch and hold forth. His trombone sat on shelf off to his right, and occasionally he'd grab it, place, inhale, and play , and pop a high F or double Bb and give that lovely, gruff laugh. He was always on my case about playing too loud. "Can't you get near a microphone or something? Dave Sheetz knows how to play loud. He can play so loud he'll deafen you. But you don't know how yet!" Man, how fortunate I was!
umum_cypher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder about that piano and organ dealership next door - in the 50s the famous Music City store was at 1035 Chestnut.

This was of course where people like Lee Morgan got their start at jams with visiting stars like Miles, Cannonball etc.

Music City was a Wurlitzer dealer. Did they move? Perhaps there was more than one instrument shop on the street. Hard to imagine these days but it was different then.
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I treasure this photo is I know that Doc was sitting behind that window when I took it. I was about to go in for my lesson. My biggest regret is that I didn't take any photos during my lessons. I can't imagine now why I didn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: