• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

when to upgrade from student horn to pro horn?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LyonLover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: when to upgrade from student horn to pro horn? Reply with quote

It's been a long time since i've been on this site. I'm in college now, still play on my beginner Yamaha. I have tried a strad and xeno out but seems like i'd have to play them for longer to notice a difference. Kind of feel like my horn is holding me back because it seems like it won't take as much air as i'd like to put in it.

When is it usually appropriate to upgrade to a pro model? As a college student, should I have upgraded already?
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are not a music major. But I’d start here. Get an opinion from an OSU trumpet faculty member.. take a walk on campus to Hughes Hall. You attend a university with one of the best music departments in the nation. You will get not only good advice, but the right advice. I’m sure a phone call or email explaining your situation in a message to one of these educators listed below will get a response and an appointment to answer your questions. Regarding a horn taking more air. This could be a limitation of the throat of your mouthpiece, your embrouchure, and a few other things. But the horn would be the last thing I’d look at regarding how much air the horn can take. The leadpipe on student horns is definitely designed to have a higher resistance then most professional horns. This is because students need the resistance to push against to produce a quality of tone. This becomes a balancing act between mouthpiece, lead pipe, metal gauge, curvature of the slides and all the other factors that go into building and designing a trumpet. These elements combine to put the resistance where it’s wanted. Some players like it upfront others further down the horn. But again this is best assessed in person with qualified people. Fortunately you have access to several local pros who can help you. The right pro horn for you will sound better and make playing easier when matched with the proper mouthpiece assuming you have proper technique. I’m thinking a mouthpiece change to a larger throat could feel really good to you. A pro horn with a mouthpiece that doesn’t work for you will lead you back to this dead end. I’m not sure you want to put more air in the horn.. I think you want the horn to feel more open and have less resistance.

The Ohio State University Trumpet Studio contacts:
Timothy Leasure
Professor of Trumpet , The Ohio State University
Associate Director of Graduate Studies
leasure.13@osu.edu
614 292-2054
215 Hughes Hall
1899 N College Rd
Columbus, OH 43210

Ted Clark
Associated Faculty, Trumpet
clark.2913@osu.edu
614 292-2054
215 Hughes Hall
1899 College Rd
Columbus, OH 43210

Byron Stripling
Associated Faculty, Jazz Trumpet
stripling.4@osu.edu

Last edited by Tuningbell on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t have much to add to that. In person advice will likely be better than anyone on these forums can give you without hearing you play.

Trent Austin made video about when to upgrade your gear that you may find useful.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: when to upgrade from student horn to pro horn? Reply with quote

LyonLover wrote:
It's been a long time since i've been on this site. I'm in college now, still play on my beginner Yamaha. I have tried a strad and xeno out but seems like i'd have to play them for longer to notice a difference. Kind of feel like my horn is holding me back because it seems like it won't take as much air as i'd like to put in it.

When is it usually appropriate to upgrade to a pro model? As a college student, should I have upgraded already?

If you are a music major, then you probably should look to invest in an instrument that will take you further into a career. With that in mind, I'm not sure what to make of your statement above, particularly the part I highlighted in bold.

We don't actually put a lot of air through a horn - it's not like we blow straight through it - so what you're describing is that the horn feels stuffy or resistant, and there are a lot of different factors that contribute to why a trumpet will feel that way. I've played Bach Strads - THE ubiquitous "pro" horn - that felt really stuffy, particularly from about F and above.

What it sounds like to me is what I think of as unbalanced resistance. You have to have something to push against, but the ideal is when the horn pushes back just enough so that the energy you're putting into it is used efficiently. Student horns are not always known for being that way, and it sounds to me like the horn's resistance is unbalanced - it's not allowing for maximum efficiency.

The best way to determine if a better instrument would help you is to actually go to a music store that has a selection of professional level instruments and to play them, ideally side-by-side with your student model Yamaha as a direct comparison.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: when to upgrade from student horn to pro horn? Reply with quote

LyonLover wrote:
... Kind of feel like my horn is holding me back because it seems like it won't take as much air as i'd like to put in it. ...

----------------------
An important question is whether this is happening when you are playing notes that are well-within your 'performance playing range', or if it happens when you are trying to develop 'high notes'.

If it's related to high notes, then it might be that your lip adjustments or mouthpiece pressure is causing too much resistance to air flow.
1) your lip has to be able to vibrate at the desired pitch
2) air flow must be possible to activate the vibrations
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You need to upgrade when your student horn is holding you back. Many students upgrade before then, but that is often want versus need. Some student horns are quite well made. The Getzen 300/400 series horns are a good example. If you are just playing for fun you might be in no need of an upgrade.

If your horn has mechanical issues such as a third valve slide that doesn't move quickly and smoothly enough for you to use it properly, that is a key sign to upgrade (or at least look into repairs).

The other signs that it is time to upgrade are harder to tell until you play some pro level horns. You've done so. Did you notice improvements in your playing: Better intonation, better sound quality, more comfort in the upper register...? If you noticed differences, but aren't sure if they are actually improvements, then bring a more experienced friend or see if you can get a pro horn loaned for a lesson so that someone can listen and offer feedback.

Your playing abilities and your mouthpiece are part of the equation as well. If you aren't taking lessons do so if possible. Not sure how Ohio State works it, but at some universities you can take lessons as classes even if you are not a music major. Have your teacher help you figure out what your needs are right now.

Generally speaking, a pro level horn probably won't hurt your playing, even if it doesn't offer significant improvements, though some set ups will work better for you than others. So if you want to get a new horn go for it. Good luck!
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be shocked if someone told you that you may be using too much air?

Ever wondered if the real pros play differently than most all of us learn?

Specifically mentioning that the horn can’t handle all of the air you’re putting just begs the question if a person is over blowing the instrument and the standing wave inside.

College is a normal stage when a person upgrades from an amateur to higher level instrument though.

Last edited by Shaft on Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When is it usually appropriate to upgrade to a pro model?"

To paraphrase my parents' grousing, as soon as they paid off the student trumpet.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
LyonLover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention I feel like its very hard to play in tune on some notes on my horn, but I don't know if thats a me problem or an equipment problem. A in the staff is always out of tune and so are D and E in the staff.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timothy's suggestion, if you can, to use OSU studio advice is good, especially in having personal advice. Two additional questions that might be helpful:
*What are you presently playing and what is wrong with your present horn?
*What kind(s) of ensemble do you plan on playing in?
*What is your budget?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LyonLover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Timothy's suggestion, if you can, to use OSU studio advice is good, especially in having personal advice. Two additional questions that might be helpful:
*What are you presently playing and what is wrong with your present horn?
*What kind(s) of ensemble do you plan on playing in?
*What is your budget?

I currently play a YTR 2330, it feels tight and I think it had bad intonation, though that could be just me. I think i'd like something more free blowing.

Plan on being in my school's concert band program for my whole time here. Marching band, but my new horn wouldn't be used for that.

For budget I can go as high as 3000 or even more but i'd prefer to stay around the 2000-2500 range.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a used Yamaha YTR734. You will love it.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LyonLover wrote:
forgot to mention I feel like its very hard to play in tune on some notes on my horn, but I don't know if thats a me problem or an equipment problem. A in the staff is always out of tune and so are D and E in the staff.

This sounds to me that you do not play the notes right in the core. If that is the case every horn will feel stuffy no matter what ranking she has.
Take your mouthpiece and look through it, now compare this hole to the hole in your lead pipe.
Now put your mouthpiece aside and put your lips around the reciever of your lead pipe and blow as hard as possible through it.

This is free blowing and it leads to nothing

Now put your mouthpiece in the reciever and remove your tuning slide. Blow without ANY pressure through your lips and wait untill a note is coming, it should sound around low E that one is written in the staff . Now keep on blowing and search for as much overtones in the sound as possibel, if you hear at least one octave and a fifth THEN you blow in the core of this note, without any pressure, without strain.
Copy this feeling all over your realistic range and you will see that your Yamaha is good enough for the coming years (I presume that she is in good technical order!)
Dave_3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents, as a non-professional guitar player, and old comeback trumpet player.....

If you plan to keep on playing after college, even just for fun, then the only reason not to upgrade, is money. You will enjoy having a nice horn.

And if you ever do stop playing, you can sell that professional horn, and recoup some of your money.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: when to upgrade from student horn to pro horn? Reply with quote

LyonLover wrote:
When is it usually appropriate to upgrade to a pro model?

When you pick up the new horn and play and realize, wow, I sound the way I want to (or better) easier than ever before.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my own story about moving to a better horn - it's also a story about how unbelievably spoiled my older sister was.

When I was in 8th grade, I was still on a beater King cornet, and battling with another student for 1st chair. I did the same approach my older sister had taken 4 years before - I basically said that I needed a better instrument or I'd quit. When my sister did that, we traded my sax for a Yamaha 739T, and I switched instruments and took on the King Cornet she'd started on.

She did that and got a new trumpet. I did that....and SHE got a new trumpet! A Bach Strad 37. Grrrr... The 739T was handed down to me, and they bought me a brand new Bach 7C mouthpiece to go with it. (I did get the last laugh though - that Strad became mine when she stopped playing after HS, and that's the horn that went with me into the first 8 years of my Army band career.)

My spoiled sister aside, that Yamaha trumpet played so much better than the King cornet, and by the end of my 8th grade school year, I was easily outpacing my bandmate for 1st chair. Without a doubt that King cornet had been holding me back. By the end of my 9th grade year, I was nipping on the heels of my older sister, who was senior that year.

A good trumpet, if you can afford it, will never hold you back.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: when to upgrade from student horn to pro horn? Reply with quote

LyonLover wrote:

It's always appropriate. Get the best horn you can afford today.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First - humor an old trumpet player - what mouthpiece are you now playing on?

Easy answers to your question:
1. The best time to move to a better horn would have been a year or two ago.
2. If your present trumpet (and stock Strads and Xenos) feel restrictive you can
a. Switch to a mouthpiece with a slightly larger throat and or backbore.
b. Consider the large bore Xenos, or Strads with a different leadpipe or bell.
c. Look for a used Getzen 900 series trumpet, get a professional valve alignment and match it with a moderately deep mouthpiece for concert band. You then have a good quality, somewhat open blowing trumpet that can do concert band or, with a different mouthpiece, jazz band AND you have $2,000 or $3,000 toward your student loan debt or start-up costs after you graduate.

What ever your choice, unless you are a music major, your trumpet will spend most of its time in the case. Your Gen ED classes may not be too time consuming but your major classes will take considerable time. You will also want to join various student groups associated with your major and minor. You will need to consider a study abroad program and later an internship in your major.

A quick glance at the OSU website suggests that their marching band will take a serious and significant time commitment. You should probably have a talk with your college advisor about the time demands of your major.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of myself telling a story to the audience. I have to get the story from my head to their ears. If my brain tells me to put more air in the trumpet and I can't, my ability to tell the story is diminished.

There are trumpets out there that when played will make you winded and you will tire fast. There are trumpets out there that are so tight that your head will explode if you push. All trumpets are a little off on the notes you talk about and you have to constantly adjust anyway so, while you don't want to fight the trumpet, just keep in mind that there is no tuned at the factory trumpet.

Go to a music store and try a bunch. Bring someone with you that you trust to play and listen. Go home with a trumpet that fits you better or maybe not.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Now keep on blowing and search for as much overtones in the sound as possibel, if you hear at least one octave and a fifth THEN you blow in the core of this note

This may be a stupid question but it is an honest one (and I don’t want to hijack the thread): but how can you hear overtones (or how do you know that’s what you’re hearing)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: