• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

when to upgrade from student horn to pro horn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Now keep on blowing and search for as much overtones in the sound as possibel, if you hear at least one octave and a fifth THEN you blow in the core of this note

This may be a stupid question but it is an honest one (and I don’t want to hijack the thread): but how can you hear overtones (or how do you know that’s what you’re hearing)?

This should be a new thread = because its a good question. I can hear overtone spectra, but I honestly don't know how to explain it.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LyonLover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
First - humor an old trumpet player - what mouthpiece are you now playing on?

Easy answers to your question:
1. The best time to move to a better horn would have been a year or two ago.
2. If your present trumpet (and stock Strads and Xenos) feel restrictive you can
a. Switch to a mouthpiece with a slightly larger throat and or backbore.
b. Consider the large bore Xenos, or Strads with a different leadpipe or bell.
c. Look for a used Getzen 900 series trumpet, get a professional valve alignment and match it with a moderately deep mouthpiece for concert band. You then have a good quality, somewhat open blowing trumpet that can do concert band or, with a different mouthpiece, jazz band AND you have $2,000 or $3,000 toward your student loan debt or start-up costs after you graduate.

What ever your choice, unless you are a music major, your trumpet will spend most of its time in the case. Your Gen ED classes may not be too time consuming but your major classes will take considerable time. You will also want to join various student groups associated with your major and minor. You will need to consider a study abroad program and later an internship in your major.

A quick glance at the OSU website suggests that their marching band will take a serious and significant time commitment. You should probably have a talk with your college advisor about the time demands of your major.

My schedule isn't too terrible. I still find some time to play every day outside of band rehearsal. And i'm playing on a 1.5C
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're playing a decent horn in good working condition it is not "holding you back." In that case it is your ability, and only your ability, that is "holding you back." The expression that "my horn is holding me back" is an old chestnut people use to blame for their lack of progress in their own personal ability to play. I've been hearing that excuse for over 60 years from players who, in reality, are just not very accomplished players. If you're playing a decent horn in good working condition then the problem with major progress is you and not your horn.

I guarantee the OP that if Sergei Nakariakov picks up your horn, it is a decent horn in good working condition and he plays it you will hear instantly that your horn isn't preventing you from being the player you hope you can be someday and that, in fact, virtually anything imaginable can be played fluently on your existing horn.

That's not to say that you wouldn't like a different horn better or that a different horn may make what you already do a little easier or subjectively better. It is to say that if you're already playing a decent horn in good working condition you're not going to have a major change with a different horn. Maybe a few tweaks but nothing even close to a night and day difference in immediate results or ease of improvement in your technical abilities.

So, any time you want to move up to a professional horn that you like better than your current horn is a good time to do that. Just don't expect a significant change in your ultimate results without an equally significant change in your abilities.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Now keep on blowing and search for as much overtones in the sound as possibel, if you hear at least one octave and a fifth THEN you blow in the core of this note

This may be a stupid question but it is an honest one (and I don’t want to hijack the thread): but how can you hear overtones (or how do you know that’s what you’re hearing)?

The so called 'leadpipe buzz' https://www.trumpetworx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/271430394-Bill-Adams-Daily-Routine.pdf you can also perform on a garden hose cut in the lenght of your leadpipe (true story).

If you sound like E you have to open your ears and blow without any strain, vary the pitch till the moment you hear IN de sound not only an E but also a B, maybe a G# as well and the E one octave higher.
Than your sound is brassy, resonant and colorfull. If you blow too high in the core the sound will become dull and high in pitch, if you blow too high in the core the instrument will play stuffy.
Allways search for the core, this I learned from Bob Findley chapter 2 page 8 in Bob Findley on trumpet, a method book
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The so called 'leadpipe buzz' https://www.trumpetworx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/271430394-Bill-Adams-Daily-Routine.pdf you can also perform on a garden hose cut in the lenght of your leadpipe (true story).

If you sound like E you have to open your ears and blow without any strain, vary the pitch till the moment you hear IN de sound not only an E but also a B, maybe a G# as well and the E one octave higher.
Than your sound is brassy, resonant and colorfull. If you blow too high in the core the sound will become dull and high in pitch, if you blow too high in the core the instrument will play stuffy.
Allways search for the core, this I learned from Bob Findley chapter 2 page 8 in Bob Findley on trumpet, a method book

Thanks for the explanation. I started a new thread about it though, to avoid hijacking this one.
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8 yr old daughter joined her 6th grade band a while back and I was looking for a horn for her and me as a come back player. I had not touched a horn since 1971. My first ebay purchase ever was a Kanstul French Besson Classic b flat. It was listed as a Besson Trumpet, in excellent condition, with photos. I could tell it was a Kanstul French Besson because I had researched the Besson Loyalist site before hand. I got it for $499! The Kanstul is a Bach Strad clone, but better. When I got it it had not dents, no scratches, outrageous compression. a double horn case, certification signed by Dennis Najoon, extra set of heavy bottom valve caps. A little later, I got a matching Kanstul French Besson Classic C trumpet, mint, unused condition for $750. It took me about 10 seconds to pull the trigger. There are good deals to be had if you know what to look for. I studied several trumpet sites before hand so I could ID a good deal when it popped. i.e the Conn Loyalist, Besson Loyalist. There are good deals to be had if you research before hand. I also picked my 1947 Conn 22b for $110 and my Olds Custom Crafted lightweight Mendez for $125. You got to be lucky to get them that low. If you do some research ahead of time, you will have a big edge. I just picked up my Chicago Benge for $1000. Good hunting.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: when to upgrade from student to pro horn? Reply with quote

Young man, you have received some sage guidance here. If you are a Buckeye use the people there as a resource. I can only tell you having grown up and gone through those stages of playing that when you start trying pro level horns you will notice the difference immediately. The player still has to be willing to put the time in to improve but a "pro" level horn will also give you a sound that you can count on and enhance yourself. Best of Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: