• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to hear overtones?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you google fft plot (fast Fourier transform plot) you will find a nice iPhone app that shows you what is happening regarding the overtones in a sound.

Works great. A bright sound on a trumpet can have the 2nd harmonic (i guess gnat is the first overtone, one octave above the note being played) showing quite a bit louder than the fundamental (the nkte you think you are playing).

That is why some trumpet players sound like they are playing an octave higher than they are. The octave higher Overton=me is actually louder. By as much as 3db, and that is a lot. The plotting software also shows how you morph your balance of overtones as you play louder or softer, or change the intensity and resonance.

You can also compare horns, mouthpieces, backbores, throat sizes etc and see what is happening with the overtones.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I have a lot to work on. The advice given is much appreciated, even if I have no idea yet as to how to apply it.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Fast Fourier Transform (FFT), on Android phone you can get, for free, the Physics Toolbox Suite. It includes Spectrum Analyzer that will show in real time the frequency spectrum of the sound captured by the phone.

The issue with using the phone for sound analysis is that playing a trumpet can easily overpower the analog-digital converter (ADC) of the phone leading to digital clipping and severe distortion of the waveform as well as of FFT. For waveform, the recorded sound waves will have flat maxima and minima corresponding to 0 dB. In FFT, you would see artificial high-frequency components created by digital clipping. To avoid this, you may need to muffle the sound arriving at the microphone (play with the bell pointed into a closet full of winter clothes).

I would suggest first to sing a fixed pitch note into the microphone to get a hang of how do the waveforms and FFTs look like. Then, experiment with the trumpet.

Audacity has a static (post-recording) spectrum analyzer with many more options. Leave the sampling algorithm as default (Blackmann-Harris) and increase the sample size to 4K or more to see the peaks better resolved.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that you download a copy of TE Tuner, it has a spectral analyzer that will show the levelof the overtones on a graph. It shows some very interesting things that relate directly to this subject. You will see some very interesting things all of which I don’t understand. But the graph can show you when you are able to increase an overtone or reduce it by some change you’ve made. I try to see if changes increase the levels of all, some or none or reduce. It just a way to do a sound check of what’s coming out the big end.
I personally cannot hear individual overtones but I can hear a fullness to the sound when they are there and weaker tone when they aren’t. I have always assumed you wanted the overtones as high on the scale as possible.
Rod
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Alfred Tomatis' book 'The Ear And The Voice' for some insight into how your ability to hear overtones can affect tone production.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a, perhaps, simplistic question, but what's wrong with using your ears and adjusting accordingly? Isn't that what music's all about?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Just a, perhaps, simplistic question, but what's wrong with using your ears and adjusting accordingly? Isn't that what music's all about?

In my case it would be 68 year old ears. I can’t hear the highs like I used to😭
Rod
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
In my case it would be 68 year old ears. I can’t hear the highs like I used to.

You mean like the high ring of the cash register?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes for those hearing aids I’ll have to buy. I certainly haven’t figured out how to adjust anything via the graphs but they show me what I cant hear behind the horn. No harm in verifying what you think you hear.
Rod
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

-------------------
My understanding is that the discussion is about actually being able to hear the separate isolated INDIVIDUAL harmonics that make the overall sound. And perhaps being able to choose and control those individual harmonics to adjust the overall tone quality.

Perhaps similar to being able to see the individual colored pixels in what other people see as an overall undifferentiated shade. Or newspaper b/w 'dot-matrix' photos.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

-------------------
My understanding is that the discussion is about actually being able to hear the separate isolated INDIVIDUAL harmonics that make the overall sound. And perhaps being able to choose and control those individual harmonics to adjust the overall tone quality.

Perhaps similar to being able to see the individual colored pixels in what other people see as an overall undifferentiated shade. Or newspaper b/w 'dot-ma trix' photos.

No
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as JayKosta has nicely put, it is similar to isolating pixels from the image (or even, split the pixel into R, G and B). In this case, isolate harmonics from the sound.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overtones are why playing a Bb2 (116.5Hz) sounds different on trumpet and tuba. Here are two recordings. Both are in tune, Bb2, open fingering, on Bb instruments:

trumpet
tuba

Both have the same fundamental and overtones, though in different amounts. No surprise the tuba has a much stronger fundamental than the trumpet when playing a note this low.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really surprised about all the side paths in this thread. It seems like quite a lot of people here assume that overtones are some kind of fact, that they are built in the horn. But they are not!
(Disclaimer: not all horns are capable of producing lots of overtones).

Let's say, you can't hear overtones in your sound.
Now we have two possibilities:

You can't hear them (by different causes);
You are not able to produce them. (both is also possible but makes no difference for the following).

If you can't hear them there can be physical shortcomings and then you can close this chapter. Personally I don't believe that this is something that will occur often. I am 73 now and can't hear high sounds at all. In fact I may be a little deaf (I have been a commercial rock bass guitar player for some years). But if I play in a small room the overtones can be very loud for me, sometimes unpleasant, almost painfully loud.
Another possibility is that you can't hear them because your hearing is not developed in that way. I can imagine that in case of a beginning player but I can't even imagine a teacher who is not pointing a student to resonance and overtones as a necessary goal. A good teacher will give priority to that and stop you every time you go off the path (at least I hope so).

Then possibility two: you can't produce them. If you play trumpet there will always be overtones, without them there is no sound that you could recognize as a trumpetsound. But to develop a rich, professional (Billy B.) sound with a lot of overtones so that you can hear them seperately and clear, that demands (and I use here the Bhuddist meaning of 'right') the right air flow, the right embouchure and the right playing in the sweet spot.
The bottom line is: relaxation is the trick, give the the horn the opportunity to do it. With any tension in your playing it is impossible to produce these rich overtones, impossible to create a good sound.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

-------------------

No, well, maybe you got this impression but the discussion should be about the connection between playing the trumpet with as much as possibel overtones in the sound and playing the trumpet as easy as possibel.

For example, the orchestra is pitched A = 440 Hz and you tune your trumpet A = 430 Hz.
With this setting you can play in tune by lipping up all the notes forced to play above the core of every note. But the sound will be dull and weak + the trumpet will be hard to play simply because of now you'll have to fight the instrument.
Now tune the instrument A = 440 Hz. and you'll see and hear that your sound will become better* and the instrument will be easier to play and that is what we want

*better = with more overtones so a bigger sound without increasing the volume
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Another possibility is that you can't hear them because your hearing is not developed in that way. I can imagine that in case of a beginning player but I can't even imagine a teacher who is not pointing a student to resonance and overtones as a necessary goal. A good teacher will give priority to that and stop you every time you go off the path (at least I hope so).

Can only speak for myself, but the various teachers I've had throughout the decades have of course spent time teaching on proper playing, producing a nice tone/sound, playing 'in the core of the note' etc. but never specifically through the concept of overtones. It's certainly possible my technique simply wasn't advanced enough to warrant trying to incorporate them (I was a very, very, lousy player up until a few years ago). Or maybe they used different methods to improve their student's sound than overtones.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:

Can only speak for myself, but the various teachers I've had throughout the decades have of course spent time teaching on proper playing, producing a nice tone/sound, playing 'in the core of the note' etc. but never specifically through the concept of overtones. It's certainly possible my technique simply wasn't advanced enough to warrant trying to incorporate them (I was a very, very, lousy player up until a few years ago). Or maybe they used different methods to improve their student's sound than overtones.

The case is that to produce a good sound you'll have to produce as many overtones as possibel. The less overtones, the worse the sound: If you know a teacher in physics he should have a so called tonegenerator. That instrument produces sec tones, tones without overtones. Not very musical.

I have had a few teachers as well, no one but one mentioned the overtones; he was my best teacher
But it is not absolutely nessecary to mention them, when your teacher tries to convince you to produce a fat brassy nice musical sound he actually tries to make you aware that you have to play in the core of the note so you produce as much a possibel overtones. As simple as that
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are absolutely other ways to achieve this without listening specifically for the overtones. Lip bends, where you bend the note down, crescendo, and come back up also work well. There's a point where the sound jumps out of the horn. Memorize that sound (which could sound harsh behind the bell).

I teach my students to listen for and focus on each overtone individually (as high as they can hear them) as a very small part of their daily practice. The act of focusing the attention this way helps them subconsciously find a full, well-projecting sound. It opens up their ears to what their instrument can sound like. It gives them a specific way to conceive of their sound beyond the more ambiguous bright/dark or clear/airy that seems to be the default. In the end, it's the color of the whole sound that matters, but listening for the small parts and amplifying them in your imagination can transform a musician over time.

I'm never thinking, "x partial needs to be y dBs higher for this phrase," but I will play a long tone and listen for the presence of each individual harmonic. I'll listen harmonic by harmonic, making them louder in my imagination as I go until it's too high for my ears. By the time I'm done, my sound is fuller and more resonant and playing is easier, which is the goal.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
There are absolutely other ways to achieve this without listening specifically for the overtones. Lip bends, where you bend the note down, crescendo, and come back up also work well. There's a point where the sound jumps out of the horn. Memorize that sound (which could sound harsh behind the bell).

I teach my students to listen for and focus on each overtone individually (as high as they can hear them) as a very small part of their daily practice. The act of focusing the attention this way helps them subconsciously find a full, well-projecting sound. It opens up their ears to what their instrument can sound like. It gives them a specific way to conceive of their sound beyond the more ambiguous bright/dark or clear/airy that seems to be the default. In the end, it's the color of the whole sound that matters, but listening for the small parts and amplifying them in your imagination can transform a musician over time.

I'm never thinking, "x partial needs to be y dBs higher for this phrase," but I will play a long tone and listen for the presence of each individual harmonic. I'll listen harmonic by harmonic, making them louder in my imagination as I go until it's too high for my ears. By the time I'm done, my sound is fuller and more resonant and playing is easier, which is the goal.

I have done something similar, with only the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th harmonic. How high in the harmonic series do you go?

I find that hearing the 2nd harmonic is most useful to me. I used to have access to some very sophisticate acoustic analysis tools, which helped me see the harmonics as I heard them, but since retirement, I don't have that lab equipment any more.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
I have done something similar, with only the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th harmonic. How high in the harmonic series do you go?

I find that hearing the 2nd harmonic is most useful to me. I used to have access to some very sophisticate acoustic analysis tools, which helped me see the harmonics as I heard them, but since retirement, I don't have that lab equipment any more.

In my own practice, I go as high as I think I can hear it clearly, which tops out by the 12th harmonic. For a second-line G, this conveniently works out to be the top C on the piano. At a certain point, it can start to feel like an audiologist's test, which probably has diminishing returns, so I don't make a big fuss about the top end. Some of the perceived upper partials are probably undiagnosed tinnitus anyway, but it's a fun challenge to see how intently I can listen.

In lessons, I usually teach up to about the 5th harmonic. It can sometimes be easier to hear the pitches that are different notes than the fundamental -- so for a second line G, hearing the D a 12th above and the B 2+ octaves up might be clearer than the octave G. Hearing those two notes (D and B) can be good confirmation that it's real and you aren't imagining it. Those first 4 or 5 are the loudest anyway. The hall that I sometimes teach in really likes the D above high C, so if someone plays a really resonant second line G, they'll hear the high D ringing after everything else. It's great confirmation that everything is working right. It helps that it's a different note since it's easier to differential vs. just a different octave.

I'm sure expensive lab equipment can do a wonderful job of showing this, but many phone tuners will do something similar. The Tonal Energy Tuner has an analysis option that visually shows you what's happening in real-time. It's fun to demonstrate what a beginner sound looks and sounds like vs. a resonant sound. Imagining the visual of lighting up upper harmonics can be a great bit of mental imagery and motivation provided the player knows what it sounds like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: