• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to hear overtones?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an honest question. Is all this really necessary? Can't concentrated hearing and then subtle chop adjustment be all that's necessary? It eventually depends on a direct relationship with the chops and ear, anyway.

Maybe we're just wired differently, but I just don't understand all the additional (and to me, unnecessary) time and concentration spent on microanalysis, not just here but elsewhere, also. "Let the mind lead and the body will follow". Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
This is an honest question. Is all this really necessary? Can't concentrated hearing and then subtle chop adjustment be all that's necessary? It eventually depends on a direct relationship with the chops and ear, anyway.

Maybe we're just wired differently, but I just don't understand all the additional (and to me, unnecessary) time and concentration spent on microanalysis, not just here but elsewhere, also. "Let the mind lead and the body will follow". Thanks.

"Let the mind lead and the body will follow" maybe works for you but not for all of us, unfortunately...
To me it was a great help that my teacher showed with a garden hose with the same length as a lead pipe + mouthpiece that if the chops do what they have to do a sound was created with overtones. We discussed the overtones (just the best hearable; the 3th, 5th and the octave)
This was really an eye opener to me.

So it's not really necessary but it can be a great help for the less gifted people under us, like me

Again in a nutshell: The more overtones, the better* the sound, the better the projection, the easier the trumpet plays in all registers

*if you do not like this sound you'd better switch to play another instrument
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Quote:
The case is that to produce a good sound you'll have to produce as many overtones as possibel. The less overtones, the worse the sound: If you know a teacher in physics he should have a so called tonegenerator. That instrument produces sec tones, tones without overtones. Not very musical.

The harmonic pattern is due to a non-sinusoidal tone. There are not actual multiple standing waves in the instrument. A bad sound may not produce less "overtones" it just produces a tone that is less pleasing to the ear and the harmonic content could be observed.

The harmonic pattern can also vary DRASTICALLY with loudness. Good soft AND loud tones can sound pleasing, musically, and both with varying amounts of harmonics.

A pleasing tone on the trumpet is something to hear. It requires no special equipment to recognize if one can hear well.

Looking at spectral graphs can be interesting. But you must learn to recognize good tone aurally.

I have noticed that poor tone spectrum includes lots of non-harmonic frequencies. This indicates that the tone is a collection of "impulses" at the fundamental frequency. Indicative of the "forced-buzz" approach".
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
This is an honest question. Is all this really necessary?

Of course not. Neither are Irons, Clarke, or Gordon. It's just another tool to help a player understand what's going on. Nobody needs to understand it. But despite the old saw, analysis does not equal paralysis. Analysis can enhance understanding.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The production of overtones shouldn't be a mystery, but it is.

First, an individual's sound is determined by that person's palate. We all have a different sound and we can often recognize a performer within a few notes.

There must be a continuous, clean airflow. Without that, nothing happens.

One's lips must be free, supple, and be able to make the true vibrations to set the center of the pitch.

The player, mouthpiece, and horn must make a synergistic whole unit. Should the mouthpiece not fit either, you don't sound right.

A poor instrument will not allow the overtones to be produced, even in the hands of a fine, experienced player.

Mouthpiece safaris do not allow the embouchure to react and "learn" what the player is trying to accomplish. The result is a lack of pitch center and incomplete overtone production.

One does not have to hear the overtones produced. They can be felt (sensed) and in a good room the sound will come alive. A good quality recording of yourself is a very good tool.

Some of you may know of the great percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie. She is deaf, but can feel exactly what is occurring. True, her instruments produce vibrations, but so does a good trumpet.

Above all, one must know what sound they can produce the best. Chasing sound, accomplishes little. You are who you are.

Listen to players you admire. Plant that sound in your memory. Those sounds can help you find your own sound.

Practice and use a tuner to find the resonant center of the sound. Don't stare at a tuner. That does nothing but make a bad habit. Keep it to the side and when you hear something good, check the pitch.

Remember what you hear and what the audience hears are two different things. You want to sound good to them and we often are our own worst judge of what we wound like.

Books have been written on this subject, but try to keep it simple.

R. Tomasek
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of Bernstein's lecture on Musical Phonology, particularly his demonstration of the harmonic series, which may also help the OP in his quest.

Here is the lecture starting at the part on the harmonic series. The whole lecture is worth a listen, but this is the part germane to this discussion.

https://youtu.be/MB7ZOdp__gQ?t=1748
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an interesting point that the 'harmonics' that can be played with the same valve setting IS NOT the same as the harmonics that are created when a note (the tonic) is played.

e.g. open valves can play: low C, G in staff, C in staff, E in staff, etc.
but the harmonics that RESULT from playing a low C are the C in the staff, G above the staff, etc.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes. Example, The first harmonic or "overtone" of a 2nd line G is one octave above. The next is 1 octave plus a 5th, the next is 2 octaves, etc.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I think it's an interesting point that the 'harmonics' that can be played with the same valve setting IS NOT the same as the harmonics that are created when a note (the tonic) is played.

e.g. open valves can play: low C, G in staff, C in staff, E in staff, etc.
but the harmonics that RESULT from playing a low C are the C in the staff, G above the staff, etc.

Certainly true. Your example is correct. Some acoustics books use the term resonances to refer to the different notes playable with the same valve setting, though this usage isn't mainstream.

Most steady tones contain significant amounts of higher harmonics. Exceptions are a properly struck tuning fork, some whistles, and a synthesized sine wave. The metallic sound caused by a Harmon mute is due to its effect on the strength of harmonics. But most of us just think of this as a metallic sound, and don't think about the particular harmonic strengths.

The harmonics available with a single valve setting become less defined in the upper register, where slotting diminishes. Yet the harmonics composing a single steady tone behave the same as for low notes. For a steady tone, the very first harmonic beyond the fundamental is an octave up. If the tone is steady, it's exactly an octave up. These harmonics go well beyond the limit of human hearing, as can be seen by recording at a high data rate and viewing the spectrum with an app such as audacity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: