• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lets talk cornets..

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 38A Connstellation accepts modern cornet mouthpieces. The oddball Conn shanks stopped sometime in the late 1950s.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Yes, the 38A accepts modern cornet mouthpieces. The oddball Conn shanks stopped sometime in the later 1950s.

Ok great. I'm thinking a 38a with a Curry 1.5bbc would be a pretty good sounding cornet. Should have a classic cornet sound.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:
Yes, the 38A accepts modern cornet mouthpieces. The oddball Conn shanks stopped sometime in the later 1950s.

Ok great. I'm thinking a 38a with a Curry 1.5bbc would be a pretty good sounding cornet. Should have a classic cornet sound.

Yes. I use a Curry 3BBC on my 1962 Conn 9A Victor cornet and it fits perfectly and sounds great.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Sounds great! And like the others said, the 38A takes a modern mouthpiece shank, although I will add it handles short shank cornet mouthpieces just as well. Two of the mouthpieces I use with it are modern shank (Schilke 14A4x, Bach 1C) and two are short shank (Monette B11, Yamaha David King). The intonation is pretty similar across the board. Monette is the most in tune for me but that might be because I've had a Monette B11 for trumpet since high school so that particular rim/cup fits me like a glove.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Let's talk cornets Reply with quote

I love the Getzen Eterna of all cornets I have played much. I used a school supplied horn for symphonic winds and they got me a Schilke mpc. that was deep, like my trumpet 1C. Both Bach short and long cornets were very nice and enjoyable to play. The sweetest cornet sound I believe I ever produced was through a Schilke A1 long cornet. Wonderful stuff. I agree with whoever said playing a cornet in a section full of trumpets isn't very good. I played for years in a municipal band and we would switch horns alot in practice. A couple younger players wanted to try my Benge. My sound on their cornets was kind of absorbed into the section. I was used to the Benge standing out front with sound. Have fun, the cornet is a magnificent instrument.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get a 38a with serial number 976xxx but unsure if has coprion bell. I don't know when exactly they switched from electro d plated coprion to brand.

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
I can get a 38a with serial number 976xxx but unsure if has coprion bell. I don't know when exactly they switched from electro d plated coprion to brand.

On The Conn Loyalist website, it says that the Conn 38A Connstellation transitioned from a Coprion bell to a brass bell sometime within the 1963-1965 time frame. A horn with serial number 976xxx would have been produced in 1962, so the horn you are looking at likely has a coprion bell.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play New Orleans early Jazz music from time to time. I was using a Courtois Cornet with a Shepherds crook but it was really not a loud instrument . I believe the American wrap fits the style of the music a bit better because of the brightness and projection. I sold the Courtois and I am expecting the Conn Connstellation 38A short model cornet next week. I found it at a price too good to pass on and then later came across this thread. After reading these posts about the 38A I am really excited to see what it brings to the music. Its a 1965 serial number.
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds7 wrote:
I play New Orleans early Jazz music from time to time. I was using a Courtois Cornet with a Shepherds crook but it was really not a loud instrument . I believe the American wrap fits the style of the music a bit better because of the brightness and projection. I sold the Courtois and I am expecting the Conn Connstellation 38A short model cornet next week. I found it at a price too good to pass on and then later came across this thread. After reading these posts about the 38A I am really excited to see what it brings to the music. Its a 1965 serial number.

Congrats on your horn. Let us know how it is. I hear they are very mouthpiece sensitive with the sound. You throw a British style piece on them and you can get am amazing dark rich sound on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: