• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Recording restoration pictures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Olds Recording restoration pictures Reply with quote

I have left most my horns unrestored, except for dent removal. An exception is this Olds Recording trumpet. Of two I owned, this one had the best valves. I sold the other one. This one had bad pitting in the hand areas. Because this model isn't plated, removing the pitting is possible. The bell was scratched right on top of the engraving, so those scratches had to be left. The original shopgoodwill pictures are here. Close up of the pitting:

To remove the pitting, I wet sanded with 400 grit paper. I like to buy American (3M). But I found some Japanese made paper (see pics) that is both more durable and lower cost than 3M. Here are pictures after the 400 grit. The difficult part was removing pitting from the serial number area without affecting the digits:

All the real pitting removal work was done with the 400 paper. Next is 800 grit:

Next is 1500 grit. The engraving was not sanded until the next step:

Next is 2500 grit. 2500 grit is about as fine as polish. Going directly from 1500 to polishing works well too. The 2500 paper leaves a pretty good shine:

Red rouge was used for final polish. Polishing was done by hand, using strips of cloth (from twilltape.com) with red rouge rubbed on:

Some scratches had to be left to preserve the engraving:

The pitting is completely gone from the second valve slide, and pretty much everywhere else:

I had planned to lacquer this horn. But the lacquer I bought was for medium temperature and dried too fast when I tested it this summer. So I decided to keep it raw brass. Imagine messing up the lacquer and having to redo it. That would be a huge mess. In addition, I wanted to get the vintage look back, just without the pitting. I left it out in the open in the garage all summer. Here is what it looks like now:

Surprising that high copper bell held its shine. A fingerprint becomes permanent unless wiped off immediately. I actually bought a bunch of chemicals to make patina with. I haven't tried them out yet.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent work
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive!! I can’t wait to see the pics on my computer, but the phone sized pics look great!

I feel like I can clean a horn quite well, but beyond that, my skills make me dangerous. I’d love to have a nice, big electric buffer with the attachments for horn… But work like yours might be better for me.

My .02, but as nice as it looks, I’d have it lacquered.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!!
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond 16: This is so cool! Thanks for taking the time and care to photograph and describe each step of the pitting-removal process, and specifying the materials you used.
taylordiving

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man do you know what you're doing, that axe looks awesome!
1941 & 1942 Olds Supers
Getzen Eterna Cornet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: