• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Botti on a Bach

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmanner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Botti on a Bach Reply with quote

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/242124352_2260209790788663_3588965155132483481_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=VAeL3p-etQYAX9Gpp2Y&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=405a93f89329d803a1452b5ce8ce23f8&oe=618E6FD3
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if he's going to be a Bach Artist, but many great and awesome players have been switching to Bach or endorsing them lately, most recently Ryan Kisor.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason for Botti to endorse/play Bach unless they pay him a ton of money to do that. In his live performances his sound is so engineered that he could play anything and they could adjust it through the sound board to sound however he wants it to sound to the point that it doesn't matter what horn he plays, at least in terms of the sound coming from the speakers.

I saw Ryan Kisor live in Omaha a few months ago. He played a New York Bach cornet when he played cornet, so it was a really old horn. I looked at the trademark close up when he left it on a stand during a break so I know for certain what the horn was. I didn't get a close look at his trumpet. Does it matter though? Ryan would sound great on any decent horn in good working condition. I know that Ryan has played a lot of different trumpets and he sounds like himself on all of them.

I wonder these days whether a pro's endorsement of a particular trumpet is really worth much. Back in my day Doc endorsing the Getzen Eterna Severinsen was a big deal. They sold a lot of them because Doc was very famous as a trumpet player on the Tonight Show and lots of kids were familiar with him and wanted to play that horn. Today, there's no trumpet player with that magnitude of public exposure. You'd be surprised at how many kids today say they've never heard of Doc or even of Louis Armstrong.

As I've said many times, "If you're planning to be famous don't count on being famous for very long."
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocker!

He sounds better on a Bach just like everyone else!

😎

DB
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be as simple as his Committee is in for work or a valve rebuild, or even a Dizzy whoops while on stage??.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI-

Interesting comments about Botti's sound, but have you considered that Chris may be playing a Bach because he likes the way it feels, plays and responds? Bach trumpets are wonderful and top professional players do not need a nefarious reason to play them.

And Botti becoming a Bach endorsing artist is pure speculation at this point, so why are you opening that can of worms?

I do not currently play a Bach myself (except for my large-bore C), but have played many in the past and there are a myriad of reasons for professionals and students alike to choose them. Even when a new "latest and greatest" horn is introduced, Bachs are still chosen so many times.

When a well-known player switches to a Bach instrument, it seems like some people want to suggest it is for some reason other than preferring the brand.

I don't get it.

Steve
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Bach Reply with quote

When asked about his Martin, Botti said described it as a balance: as much as he loved the sound, he described the intonation issues as a constant struggle.

Maybe he got tired dealing with that.

Brent S
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
HERMOKIWI-

Interesting comments about Botti's sound, but have you considered that Chris may be playing a Bach because he likes the way it feels, plays and responds? Bach trumpets are wonderful and top professional players do not need a nefarious reason to play them.

And Botti becoming a Bach endorsing artist is pure speculation at this point, so why are you opening that can of worms?

I do not currently play a Bach myself (except for my large-bore C), but have played many in the past and there are a myriad of reasons for professionals and students alike to choose them. Even when a new "latest and greatest" horn is introduced, Bachs are still chosen so many times.

When a well-known player switches to a Bach instrument, it seems like some people want to suggest it is for some reason other than preferring the brand.

I don't get it.

Steve

I admit that I have some of my own bias in my post. Specifically, I'm a "pick it up and play it player." That means that if it's a decent trumpet in good working condition I'll get a good result with it. So I don't really have strong brand or model preferences for my own playing (which is entirely small group jazz/improvisation).

I happen to play a 1953 Martin Committee Large Bore most of the time right now but I also play an Adams A8 in this type of setting. They are very different horns. However, if I didn't have either horn I'd just play something else. I have 50+ trumpets in my collection so I have lots of choices and I can make any of them work, even my 1913 Conn .484 bore, and sound like what people expect jazz to sound like on a trumpet.

That being said I acknowledge that many players claim to notice even the tiniest differences in horns and have very particular preferences which would result in them dramatically preferring one horn over another. So, certainly Chris Botti or anyone might switch horns because they like one more than what they're currently playing and Chris might do that whether he's paid to do it or not. So you are definitely correct on that point. You are also correct that what Chris does in terms of switching horns or endorsing something is pure speculation. I have no idea. I was just responding to Bryant Jordan's comment pertaining to not knowing if Chris is going to be a Bach Artist but raising the topic.

I've heard Chris live and he sounds fine on his Committee although his sound is engineered a lot through the sound board. Could there be intonation, response or mechanical issues he thinks would be resolved by playing something else? Who knows? We'll all just have to wait and see. If someone thinks one horn is better for them than another then more power to them. The mental part of playing trumpet is a big part of playing trumpet.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
They sold a lot of them because Doc was very famous as a trumpet player on the Tonight Show and lots of kids were familiar with him and wanted to play that horn. Today, there's no trumpet player with that magnitude of public exposure. You'd be surprised at how many kids today say they've never heard of Doc or even of Louis Armstrong.

I doubt many kids today have ever heard of any real musician....Not a pop or rap artist, but someone who actually plays an instrument!

delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Botti 1 month ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z40v0HV7kw&ab_channel=AnthonyStephen
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I have 50+ trumpets in my collection so I have lots of choices and I can make any of them work, even my 1913 Conn .484 bore, and sound like what people expect jazz to sound like on a trumpet.

Supposedly the .484" bore Conn Symphony was a C/Bb "Vocal" model trumpet, and built only in 1914, so this would be an interesting horn. Horn-u-copia does not have any photo or details on it, so I am sure a lot of folks would appreciate you sending some pics to Kenton Scott to post.

The regular 1913 Conn Symphony Trumpet (there was only 1 model in 1913 as they were still building the plant and very space and capital constrained after the fire that ultimately broke CG Conn forcing him to sell everything to avoid bankruptcy) was a .453" bore and the words "real trumpet tone" are repeated a few times in advertisements. The meaning of that according to Conn was also included: "a cutting, piercing, strident tone" - and I have to agree with that characterization based on how mine plays. (not what I expect in jazz trumpet sound....)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just a matter of time. The new Bachs are awesome
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold Chris a NY Bach earlier this year. Over the past few months I have been working with him and Andy Lott at Bach on a trumpet. He has a few Bach prototypes that he is trying out but is still currently playing his Martins. I see Chris frequently and can give you real answers instead of speculations that many are posting.

Josh
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Landress Brass wrote:
I see Chris frequently and can give you real answers instead of speculations that many are posting.

Josh

But where's the fun in that?

Thanks for the authoritative scoop, Josh.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
I have 50+ trumpets in my collection so I have lots of choices and I can make any of them work, even my 1913 Conn .484 bore, and sound like what people expect jazz to sound like on a trumpet.

Supposedly the .484" bore Conn Symphony was a C/Bb "Vocal" model trumpet, and built only in 1914, so this would be an interesting horn. Horn-u-copia does not have any photo or details on it, so I am sure a lot of folks would appreciate you sending some pics to Kenton Scott to post.

The regular 1913 Conn Symphony Trumpet (there was only 1 model in 1913 as they were still building the plant and very space and capital constrained after the fire that ultimately broke CG Conn forcing him to sell everything to avoid bankruptcy) was a .453" bore and the words "real trumpet tone" are repeated a few times in advertisements. The meaning of that according to Conn was also included: "a cutting, piercing, strident tone" - and I have to agree with that characterization based on how mine plays. (not what I expect in jazz trumpet sound....)

I don't know how to take a photo and post it here but here's a link to the Conn Loyalist website that shows what this model looks like:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnUnk1914_Lrg_BbC_HiLo.html

According to the website they were made from 1911 to 1914. Technically it's a .485 bore. Mine is a trumpet model but they made a cornet model, too. A cornet mouthpiece falls into mine. A trumpet mouthpiece fits but sticks out a ways. A flugelhorn mouthpiece (Morse taper) fits almost all the way in and gives you sort of a "flumpet" sound.

Mine is gold plated with engraving half way way up the bell and it includes the whole kit: Alternate slides, trumpet mouthpiece, cornet mouthpiece adapter, cleaning rod and mute. A very cool horn and very rare.
Dave_3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:
The new Bachs are awesome

I sure do like my 190S37. I'm hardly an expert, but it sounds great, to me.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
here's a link to the Conn Loyalist website that shows what this model looks like:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnUnk1914_Lrg_BbC_HiLo.html

According to the website they were made from 1911 to 1914. Technically it's a .485 bore. ...Mine is gold plated with engraving half way way up the bell and it includes the whole kit: Alternate slides, trumpet mouthpiece, cornet mouthpiece adapter, cleaning rod and mute. A very cool horn and very rare.

Wow! Great collector piece to have as it is super-rare. The horn has all the elements of construction in common with the regular Symphony models - the handful built before the May 1910 fire that knocked Conn out until 1912... And they were still rebuilding through 1914, so, other than multiple cornet models that were prioritized (cornets still being king in Conn's mind), most other offerings were minimal until 1914/1915 - at which time Conn ran out of credit and sold the place to Carl Greenleaf (who created the ##-Letter model codes). Very very few of these would have been made!

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:
The new Bachs are awesome

I'll say it again: I think one day this period will be looked back on as when Bach was building its best.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the new horns are without a doubt the best we have seen, horn to horn. I can play 10 37MLs and get ten great horns now! It makes student horn shopping a breeze.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Botti on a Bach Reply with quote

cmanner wrote:
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/242124352_2260209790788663_3588965155132483481_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=VAeL3p-etQYAX9Gpp2Y&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=405a93f89329d803a1452b5ce8ce23f8&oe=618E6FD3

Frankly, I'm much more interested in the IWC Big Pilot on his wrist.

The man makes music, and it's the music that's important - not the instrument he's using to achieve it.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions so many aspiring musicians have is thinking that they need to play the same instrument, or at the very least the same brand of instrument, as their favorite artist in order to achieve the sound they are going for, and they miss the fact that the instrument itself is just the tool - I doubt if other sculptors would have been successful with Michelangelo's chisels.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: