• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is it possible to remove the 3rd valve stop rod from Bach?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Is it possible to remove the 3rd valve stop rod from Bach? Reply with quote

A friend asked me if you can remove the stop rod on his 37 and replace it with a Yamaha stop screw?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible with a blowtorch, a bracket and some solder. Whether it's a genius idea or an idiot idea is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe taking 3 weeks off and then quitting would be a more logical solution.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to remove the 3rd valve stop rod from Bac Reply with quote

improver wrote:
A friend asked me if you can remove the stop rod on his 37 and replace it with a Yamaha stop screw?

Stop screws require an enlarged bead at the rear of the third slide sleeve which is what the extended screw then catches to prevent the slide falling off. You would have to have that as well as a screw block installed, but yes, it can be done.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ hermokiwi: I don’t think the question is stupid. As much as I like my Bach, the stop rod is unpractical and a stop screw would be easier. Not sayin‘ I’m doing it but worth considering.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Anything is possible with a blowtorch, a bracket and some solder. Whether it's a genius idea or an idiot idea is in the eye of the beholder.

That's a bit uncalled for.

It is a reasonable question. For routine maintenance a stop screw is far more convenient. However, some folks like to have the throw land at a precise distance, and for that, the stop rod is essential. So, what's the "smart" idea, is whatever makes the horn most useful for the person playing on it.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

An odd response to a very reasonable question. I have had this done as well as many of my professional colleagues. A good repair tech can easily make this modification. Since Bach C trumpets already use this set up (and all Yamaha trpts) parts are readily available.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a right to an opinion the same as everyone else. This is much ado about nothing. My opinion. No one has to agree with it.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't change the playability on the horn would it?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:

It would make it very hard to play above 'G' above the staff.

(Just kidding.)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:

-----------------------------------
If the change was done 'well', then probably little affect on playability.
But if the player is very sensitive to the feel of the instrument, then some difference might be noticed.

Any time 'mechanical changes' are done, there will be 'some amount' of functional change - it all depends on how precisely the function can be detected.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least a couple of problems with the standard Bach stop rod. First, it is pretty easy to bend it with a slight knock of the horn against a stand, etc. in the wrong place, resulting in binding of the threads against the rod guide pillars, which can in turn give an annoying rasp and enough additional friction on the slide to interfere with the speed of your throw. Second, the standard Bach rod is too short to allow the slide to be thrown far enough to reach a low F with 1-2-3 fingering without lipping the tone down. Certain Bach models come with a longer rod which fixes this problem, and that rod is available as a replacement part which can easily be installed by a tech (maybe even by most players themselves, though I've never done it). But I have heard that the longer rod is even more vulnerable to misalignment/bending/ binding problems.

So replacing the rod with a stop screw is a possible solution to both of these issues. I had an e-mail exchange this past week with a friend who said she had had this done on her Strad, and that she liked it much better. I have a stop screw on my Thane, and like it much better than the rod on my Bachs. You do give up the ability to adjust the rod nuts for a specific throw distance, though.

EDIT: corrected "difference" to "distance" above. Also, while I'm at it, I forgot to comment on the issue about playability differences. My friend didn't comment on any change she noticed after the alteration. But it's certainly well known that small changes can sometimes have large impacts on the way a horn plays/ resonates. Supposedly Yamaha got some major improvements to their Chicago models when they went from Gen II to Gen III by changing the weight and length of the water key, for example. Maybe someone else has first-hand experience with changes after a stop rod/ screw modification on a Bach.

Ray
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she said she liked the change so its sounds like she likes the way it plays. It certainly would look better.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to read it all worked out well for your friend. It’s no longer of interest to you, but I was going to suggest something like the Getzen slide stop:

https://www.amazon.com/Getzen-Trumpet-Black-Slide-Models/dp/B06XK69P9Y

My old Getzen came with one of those and it seemed to work pretty well. Not sure if it’d fit on a Bach, but if you’re handy with 3D printers you can customize one that fits (at the max length you’d need too). And it doesn’t require altering the horn itself, which can be useful in some cases.

My personal preference are spring-loaded triggers, but they’re more complex mechanisms (more expensive and more things to go wrong) and they’re bulky enough that they’re more likely to affect a horns sound. But when they work, they’re great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: