• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions from a comeback player after a LONG layoff

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
All my memories of how good I was were a major impediment to coming back after a 20-year layoff. All my worst old habits returned very quickly, and some new ones developed, in the effort to push myself too hard, too fast.

As I have said many times, the best thing I ever did was to find a good teacher. The worst thing I did was to wait too long. Should have done it on day one, or maybe -1.

FWIWFM - Don

cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwood66 wrote:
6 steps of a trumpet comeback:

1. Excitement (I don't need lessons, I'm going to be playing like a pro in no time)
2. Disillusionment (this is a lot more work than I remember)
3. Panic (I must be doing something wrong because I am not making rapid progress)
4. The new mouthpiece (it has to be the problem)
5. The new horn (the new mouthpiece didn't fix things)
6. Realization (There really is no shortcut to this process, I better get some lessons)

Where is the like button?

Welcome back. Have fun. Form a concept of the sound you like by listening a lot. Make sound that you love. A teacher can really help.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Get in touch with Dan Reed for lessons ASAP.

PM me for contact info

Seconded and approved

—Denny
thickeyjr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent. Thanks!
RGGPhnx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this thread's not too old - I have a similar backstory but I'm 3 years into my comeback after 37 years off. Also in Phoenix!

It took me 2-3 years but I regained and surpassed where I was when I laid off playing in college. I think (with the perspective of time, and not having to rush the process) that I was able to eliminate/avoid a lot of bad habits, even change my embouchure from what I used as a kid. I don't think I needed instruction, because I had six years of that in days of yore. That knowledge, together with watching smart people on YouTube and reading these pages on TF was enough for me to put it back together. MOSTLY.

Yearning for a place to play outside of my house, and finding our local community bands inconvenient, uninteresting (to me), or exclusive (full up with good players) I started the Phoenix Pioneer Band - just about the time of your original post! Take a look at www.phxpioneerband.org. I'd say about half of the players we have gathered so far (all instruments) are fairly recent comebackers, and the other half pretty good experienced players. We'll be starting back up in March 2022 now that the Omicron spike is on the way down. You're welcome to join - we need more trumpets and cornets!

At this point, I AM looking for private instruction. Fact is, I've topped out on my old knowledge and I think now I could really benefit from an experienced outside perspective. So, if anyone has a lead on (or is) a good private instructor in Phoenix that might be a good fit (tending toward classical, not Jazz), let me know!

_____
Bob Graham
Phoenix, AZ
1905 Boston*** Cornet
1995 Wild Thing Cornet
etc...

Last edited by RGGPhnx on Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGGPhnx wrote:
... I started the Phoenix Pioneer Band ...

----------------------------------
another source of music is -
https://chatfieldband.lib.mn.us/
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
RGGPhnx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
RGGPhnx wrote:
... I started the Phoenix Pioneer Band - just about the time of your original post! Take a look at www.phxpioneerband.com. ...

----------------------------------
seems to be .org not .com

Right you are! I'll correct that
Bob
ErikA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m like the OP, played from elementary school through college. I was never fantastic. Decent marching band, high school orchestra, boy scout bugler level. I started up again when Covid started and am really enjoying it again. I highly recommend getting a teacher. Not just because a teacher knows how to teach but also because regular classes provides a structure and keeps you honest. If you’ve got a lesson coming up you tend to practice every day. I take lessons over Zoom and it works well for me. In fact my teacher and I have yet to meet in person.

I feel that my progress is slow but I don’t care. What is wonderful about taking lessons is that I’m filling in gaps I ignored when I was younger. I have the patience now to focus on technique. Lip slurs and flexibility, long tones, playing pianissimo, articulation, tonguing, fingering, intervals, pedal tones, maintaining the same embouchure throughout my range, I do exercises for all that. And with the teacher’s help I’m also working on jazz standards a few bars at a time, making sure I pay attention to rhythm, intonation, phrasing, dynamics, tone. And we do a bit of improv too. Hmm...now that I list it out like that I see it’s a lot to work on simultaneously. No wonder my progress is slow.

Other than my regular practice I also have some Dixieland, pop, and jazz books with downloaded or CD backing tracks. There are days when just for fun I blast out Basin Street Blues or Do You Know The Way To San Jose or Play That Funky Music. I’d love to join a group but they aren’t easy to find, at least not where I am.

This doesn’t really answer your question, “how long?” But for me it’s the journey. I have no destination. I’m just enjoying the ride.

Erik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: