• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What horns have you picked up during the pandemic?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theshinytrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: What horns have you picked up during the pandemic? Reply with quote

Hello trumpet hive mind!

What new instruments have you picked up during the pandemic? What do you like/dislike about your new acquisitions? What horns are you considering for your next purchase?

I've picked up the following horns:

Schilke P7-4: A really fantastic piccolo trumpet. I love the feedback and overall tone quality. I have also found that playing it in tune is easier than the P5-4 I had before it. It might seem stupid, but I don't like the slide action. I might look into installing triggers for the 1st & 3rd.

Thane Performance C and Bb: These are some incredible horns. I still own the Bb but sold the C to fund another C trumpet project. The build quality is second to none. Playability is on par with some of the nicest instruments I have ever had the privilege to play. There isn't much to dislike about these horns, if anything, the throw on the valves feels a tad longer than a standard Bach.

Larsen Bach Conversion Eb/D: Great horn. Just got it last week. I need to spend more time with it.

Corporation Bach 229/25A: Early 70's Bach C trumpet with Dr. Valve's A pipe. It's still being finished up but in my opinion, this is one of the best c trumpet combinations available in today's market. I can't wait to finally have my own and play it with some local ensembles!

Schagerl Ganschhorn: Killer horn, just wasn't for me. Austin Custom Brass made the process of purchasing the instrument super easy. I also sold it to tackle some other trumpet related projects.

Getzen 800: I'm in $650 on this horn, and that's after sending it for a cleaning and dent removal. Sounds great. Plays Great. I can't wait to take it out of the practice room and play with some brass bands! I don't think you can find a better value than these old Getzens.

In terms of my next purchase, I am considering an Adams Cornet. I love the tone color you can hear in the videos posted by Adams. I'd also love to hear from anyone with experience with these cornets.
Soulo Mutes
www.rockfordtrumpetstudio.com
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought five instruments since early 2020, and really need to stop.

A Mauriat dealer had a sale on their first gen "new old stock" instruments, so I bought:
-Mauriat 655x, which is my first large bore instrument. It came with the antique lacquer, which is already flaking a little where I hold it, but I like the blow on it.
-I actually bought two of the 600g trumpets, which I quite like. One is lacquer and the other silver. They have the twin tube leadpipe with a larger receiver and nice engraving. I love the mechanics and sound and valves.

-90s Bach 18072. It's in good mechanical condition except for circular scrapes in the bell (from a mute or stand), and a valve bottom that is stuck where someone tried to use pliers. The case also was very mildewed and is probably unsalvageable. I like the trumpet a lot and one of my kids will probably play it.

-Used Jupiter mellophone. I had to get a french horn mouthpiece adapter removed and bought a Hammond mouthpiece used. Jupiter actually could not sell me a new mouthpiece. I do like it and am hoping it will help me with transposition, and maybe just be something fun to play with.

All of the instruments were <$1000, and the mellophone was only $200. I'll probably keep a couple at the office.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief - you guys must have more money than you know what to do with.

I've acquired 2 horns since all of this started:

1.) Shires Model B Bb trumpet - I didn't pay for this one. This one was issued to me by the National Guard band, so it's not technically "mine," I'm just privileged enough to get to use it until I finally hit my 20 and can bail out in another year or so.

2.) Brasspire Unicorn C trumpet - I picked this up because as the pandemic lockdowns have unwound a bit, I had the opportunity to play in a local regional orchestra, so I needed a C trumpet to do that. I picked it up for less than a grand, and It's an astonishingly good trumpet for no more than it cost.

Those are my two.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve unloaded about 6 horns since this started - 2 trumpets and 4 cornets. Mostly good instruments, but ones I never played.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adams F1 Flugelhorn
- was looking for a Cuesnon-sounding flugelhorn which could produce a sound similar to that found on Art Farmer's To Sweden With Love era. Right attitude and mpc choice can give me that, as well as other versatility.

Getzen Eterna Classic Trumpet
- this was actually bought on a lark. Bret Getzen had a number of show room/demo instruments and it was selling at a discount. There was a lacquer and a silver Eterna on the list. I Had a Severinsen in the past and liked it but always wondered if one in lacquer would have a slightly darkened sound, so snapped it up. Kind of an expensive way to satisfy one's curiosity, but . .

I have a Yamaha Shew and a Schilkke B-1 but, ironically, the Getzen has become my go-to horn.

If aanyome's interested, Bret says there is no sound difference etween the silver and lacquered horns but I hear a slightly darker sound. Could be my imagination could be YMMV.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
If anyone's interested, Bret says there is no sound difference between the silver and lacquered horns but I hear a slightly darker sound. Could be my imagination could be YMMV.

These days I actually prefer lacquered horns, not because of any kind of sonic difference, but because the finish actually holds up better for me over time. Today's lacquer isn't the same as lacquer from yesteryear - it's thinner and much tougher, so there's very little difference sonically.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Getzen 907 Proteus from the same Reverb sale Kehaulani got the Eterna Classic from. A great deal and a great horn.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul 991 trumpet - basically a clone of the Conn Connstellation 38B, with very slight differences (I think the Kanstul bell is 1/4" larger, it has Monel valves and not the Conn's stainless steel, it has a copper leadpipe, and it is silver plated, not nickel plated). Fabulous horn, very mouthpiece sensitive, and very very easy upper range. .439" bore but doesn't feel stuffy or constricting at all. There have been some ferocious deals on Kanstuls of late, save for the 1525 flagship flugelhorn that Arturo and Doc play(ed?); that still commands a lot of money. I've played a 38B once or twice and I prefer the Kanstul. It's quite a bit lighter than the Conn and the upper register slotting isn't as smooshed quite as tightly as the 38B.

Manchester Brass flugelhorn. A Carolbrass 6200 gold brass bell flugelhorn but sold under a different name. Yamaha 631-style flugelhorn. Very nice, very easy to play. One quirky note in the staff intonation-wise but alternate fingering worked it right out.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Bach Lr180s72 back that I had to take a loan out on back several years ago from a friend. and I am picking up a HN white King Super 20 Silver sonic symphony with a trigger fro the White company website.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Olds Super cornet that I kinda love, but have no use for, partly because right after I got a flugelhorn I never expected to own. I love the aesthetics of the Olds Super and the cornet in particular, but it’s so close in sound to my trumpet that it’s basically redundant. I was getting ready to sell it, but a recent recording of my own noodling got me doubting again .

I also got my AR Resonance classical and lead mouthpieces early last year, and a deep V one around christmas. It’s still a little unbelievable how well they suit my playing. Still very happy with them and I can’t imagine playing anything else.

Other than that I’ve mostly been scouting for some instruments for friends. A 70’s Olds Ambassador that was just a steal for how good it was, and a quaint but cool C trumpet (through a TH contact no less) for a younger player that wanted to play duets with their parent without needing to transpose.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swore to myself that I was going to resist adding to my collection after my retirement, but then two horns popped up on eBay (almost simultaneously) that I couldn't resist.

The first is a Noblet flugelhorn on which I unfortunately had to pay a premium because the seller (a music store) had done an "economy" restoration and epoxy lacquer job (not bad, but not to the standards I prefer). I sent it to Elkhart, Indiana, where Mark Metzler did a valve rebuild and Tom Green did a cosmetic restoration that included a complete new lacquer job. Now the horn is practically like new, and plays really well. This horn is fundamentally a stencil of a Leblanc flugelhorn which in turn is a stencil of an older Courtois model (before they developed the "direct air column" valve block). These horns take a really unique mouthpiece that is almost as long as a trumpet mouthpiece but with a very narrow shank. The receiver that accepts this mouthpiece is way too small for any of the usual flugelhorn mouthpiece tapers, but I discovered that Charlie Melk's replacement leadpipe for Couesnons fits the horn (and plays perfectly) apart from being 9/16" too long. I was able to order a custom leadpipe from Charlie cut to the correct length.

The second is a Kanstul-made French Besson Laureate (Model 30-FB) in mint condition. This is basically identical to the later Kanstul 1025 "Chicago" model. The seller inherited it from a professional musician who either rarely played it or took incredibly good care of it. It plays like a dream, with a gorgeous compact tone and great intonation (for a flugelhorn). The only downside is that the trigger mounting has some rough edges that affect comfort. Brian Douglas (shofarguy) shared a few ideas on how to fix that (the Wild Thing flugelhorn uses the same exact trigger mechanism).

I guess I didn't get my money's worth though -- despite the fact that the Noblet is Mike Metheny's horn of choice and the Laureate is Marvin Stamm's, I still don't play anywhere near as well as either of them.

Last edited by Halflip on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my Wild Thing trumpet and flugelhorn. To practice.

Okay, not what you asked for, I know...

I've been able to visit Flip once since the lock-down, last June. I was able to play the last Inspiration and the little ML "Inspiration" that Kanstul originally wanted to make as a Signature model for Arturo Sandoval (who wasn't interested). They asked if Flip wanted it, then assembled it and put his brand logo on the bell. I think it's the single most beautiful and elegant trumpet Kanstul ever produced. It plays well, too, though it's a definite "mood" horn.

I keep asking Flip to give me first right of refusal, if he ever decides to sell it. I feel like it wraps up all the elements of my personal experience with Kanstul, et al, in one instrument.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned it before but this past December I was gifted a decidedly uncommon Benge C trumpet. Haven't previously tried to share links to my Google photos but here goes.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gzi7NwSFgssMywvo9
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked a Getzen 940 piccolo trumpet from the Reverb demo sale and a CarolBrass 5000L-YLT G-Bb trumpet to replace my Kanstul soprano bugle.

The CarolBrass trumpet actually plays very well in G. My alumni drum corps is now a concert group and there is no need for an instrument that will withstand the rigors of a drum corps season. The 72 style bell gets the sound needed to blend and the .460 ml bore makes it easier to play.

On the Bb side, it is a fine trumpet and has now replaced my well worn early Elkhart Bach 72*, although I know it needs to be rebuild and could be the reason.

The CarolBrass is an amazing value and more horn than one could reasonably expect for the price.

https://www.carolbrass.com/show_products.aspx?getId=9A464C339A24D76A&getId1=9A464C339A24D76A1&getId2=&nID2&getId3=&nID3&getId4=CA9DC5D347D13284

Last edited by JeffM729 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I've mentioned it before but this past December I was gifted a decidedly uncommon Benge C trumpet. Haven't previously tried to share links to my Google photos but here goes.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gzi7NwSFgssMywvo9

That's the 1C, isn't it? I've only seen one. The current band director at my high school has one. Weirdest bell on any trumpet. It looks like something out of a Dr. Seuss book!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... A Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt CX4 to match my Bb. That will make legit/orchestral work easier.
A B&S Challenger II Eb/D. Plays like a dream, and will also be very nice if/when I get calls for that kind of work.
A Benge 6. I'm looking into having it perfected (according to my ideas of perfect), and I love the way it blows.
And a rotary C trumpet that had been hanging on a wall for 35 years, and took a lot of work to make functional, but which is very nice.
40cal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 43 with a reverse lead pipe, and a Courtois cornet.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

This exact horn, from Trent's collection! He had removed it from the web store, but when talking to Trent (complaining about what I wasn't happy with in my own setup), he suggested I buy this horn as it ought to fit my needs - I always trust Trent's advice... this horn knocks my socks off - I absolutely love it!!

ACB - absolutely a class act to deal with start to finish, and Trent is a gem!!

Here's a clip I recorded on it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSe_xuvDvch/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

From classical and jazz to... well... that! Such a versatile and beautiful instrument.

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 8A.... the pea shooter version of the 80 A. Longer by about 2 inches and tighter wrap. Hard to believe it's a cornet. Like it very much.

Olds Standard, I think about a '47. LOVE it. I finally get to play a real "Pro" trumpet and understand the true meaning of the word. I'm looking forward to getting a couple mpcs for it as I have been playing cornets for the last little while and only had the usual 7C and I think a Blessing 6. Almost certainly going to buy a Curry 30m. Not sure what else. Maybe a Bach 10 1/2 CW or a Heavy Yamaha if I could get some model number recommendations on the latter ?

I might also ask for a deep V cup suggestion for my Cornets as I've been playing them bright with Curry 30M and 30 C. time to get soft.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my horn-buying spree the year before the pandemic started. Too bad my budget was already exhausted because some great deals came up in the marketplace and on eBay when gigs started drying up.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: