• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3D Printing a Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Marta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: 3D Printing a Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
I have been using VennCAD to design some ideas, but I would like to print them myself. Since I am still testing, I don't think it would be smart to spend $200 on a design that I have no clue if it will work.

I would like to make several plastic/metal hybrids with a 3d printer before I spent a lot on a full metal high quality one. VennCAD unfortunately does not does not have the ability to save files so you can print or access them yourself. Would anyone know a program that has the ease of VennCAD, but where I can download the files to print myself?
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way I can think of is to import a screenshot of the profile from venncad and trace it in fusion360 and them revolve it.

Printing won't be nearly as accurate as the metal one. FDM printing isn't even worth trying. SLA is better.
Either way, the feel and sound will be quite different than a metal mouthpiece.
Is your time learning to model and then printing worth more or less than the cost to have someone else do it in metal ?
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug told me awhile back that he might add an export feature to VennCAD, guess not yet though.

I also do 3D printing. I just design the profile in Excel and import into a 3D modeling program (Rhino in my case), rotate 360 degrees, and export as stl.

When I finally wanted one in metal I sent a 3D print I made to Doug and he scanned it and then "printed" it in metal with his lathe. 3D prints have a large amount of shrinkage (.15mm is the average for me) so you can't just send your design file.
dsmcvey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it just so happens, this beta version of VennCAD (v3.1.0) includes the ability to export STL files for 3D printing. Hopefully you find it helpful.

Again, it is a beta version in active development, but we are definitely getting close to a full release. This version also supports low brass, pointwise backbore design, and some other goodies.
Our preliminary Classiq designs and all production Lede designs are built in as well.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZ2DXOXZoKobzMy8KQjtM79gsWMoyF7DzjX0
doug@vennture.mp
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really impressive that you would open it up like that to allow exporting!
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsmcvey wrote:
Well, it just so happens, this beta version of VennCAD (v3.1.0) includes the ability to export STL files for 3D printing. Hopefully you find it helpful.

Again, it is a beta version in active development, but we are definitely getting close to a full release. This version also supports low brass, pointwise backbore design, and some other goodies.
Our preliminary Classiq designs and all production Lede designs are built in as well.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZ2DXOXZoKobzMy8KQjtM79gsWMoyF7DzjX0

Any plans for a Mac version?
dsmcvey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started testing the first Mac version. Here are the latest betas (note that the Windows one fixes a possible language/localization error during install that may have been present in the version posted above):

v3.1.6 for Mac:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZOzdOXZGxXMKXtu2uXetRlImHtF0m8fK5JX

v3.1.6 for Windows:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZF4dOXZ0kHWY1YHoubchT8Ncm71VBNvIguX

Let me know if you have any issues, feedback, or suggestions.

-Doug
doug@vennture.mp
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linux?
kittenshark134

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, big thanks to the VennCAD team, I actually downloaded it for this exact purpose.
Now a few notes on printing mouthpieces:
- If you have access to an SLA printer, excellent. Look up Reaper Mouthpieces, he does a lot of the hybrid metal/printed stuff you mentioned
- If you're just using FDM like most of us, you're in for a bit of a rough time. Print in as small a layer height as you can, and be prepared to sand down the layer lines on the rim to make it playable.
- Use 100% infill, or just bump up your perimeters so high that it's all perimeters. Gotta take all the mass you can get.
- Even with my university's dialed in Prusas, I've still encountered some stringing and z bands in the backbore that I think have an effect on playing quality. Still really fun project though.

There are probably online services that do SLA printing, might be cheaper than machining for a test design.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kittenshark134 wrote:

- Even with my university's dialed in Prusas, I've still encountered some stringing and z bands in the backbore that I think have an effect on playing quality.

I always file the backbore smooth with a round file.. either that or sandpaper on a narrow rod. So, along with the rim the backbore needs a little touch-up.

I print my mouthpieces standing up (on the shank) and with a base I add to the design. So I also need to remove this base. Here is a thread I started here a few years ago showing some of these stand-up prints: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1438030 (scroll down to see the stand-up ones, I started upside-down and learned that didn't make a good rim).

I thought about getting an SLA printer but I have the FDM routine down now and it would not add a whole lot. Starting over SLA would be the way to go.

It is great to hear VennCAD has a Mac version coming, that plus exporting makes it very useful for me.
kittenshark134

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
kittenshark134 wrote:

- Even with my university's dialed in Prusas, I've still encountered some stringing and z bands in the backbore that I think have an effect on playing quality.

I always file the backbore smooth with a round file.. either that or sandpaper on a narrow rod. So, along with the rim the backbore needs a little touch-up.

I print my mouthpieces standing up (on the shank) and with a base I add to the design. So I also need to remove this base. Here is a thread I started here a few years ago showing some of these stand-up prints: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1438030 (scroll down to see the stand-up ones, I started upside-down and learned that didn't make a good rim).

Wow that's some impressive work, I haven't been brave enough to try my own measurements. I'm gonna need to start messing around with these again now that VennCAD supports stls. I do have access to SLA as well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: