• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need some recommendations for cleaning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Need some recommendations for cleaning Reply with quote

Looking for some products to use to clean the inside of my trumpet. I use the hw brass saver for my slides to get the light gunk out but there’s still some light greenish blue hard gunk in my slides. What products should I use to get this out? I know I could send it to a pro to get it cleaned but I really would rather do it on my own.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked what you need: A plastic-coated snake, small and large casing brushes, small and large microfiber cloths, and dawn dishwashing liquid. You can use your bath tub, or get a large a Rubbermaid/Tupperware container to soak your horn (less likely to scratch your horn). You can also use a water snake to flush the horn.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NVTJ5X
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050R68LS/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVY2SKG/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8XLYYU/

Here's what I do: I flush the horn, either by simply running water through it or by using the horn flush snake. Then I disassemble and soak the horn in the plastic container or bath tub with warm water and dawn dishwashing liquid for 30 minutes. Don't get the valve felts wet. Then use the snake and brushes to clean out the horn, rinse, use the small microfiber cloth to wipe down the valves and insides of the valve casings, oil and lube, reassemble, use the large micofiber cloth to dry down the horn.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small amounts of 'hard gunk' in the tubing is unlikely to make a noticeable
sound or function difference.

DIY projects always have some danger because of 'learning the hard way'.

If you insist on the DIY route, then use some sort of 'pull through' or flexible 'snake'. Cleaning material that I might try is small pieces of green fabric cleaning pads that are used for scrubbing pots & pans.
You could also investigate the various brass, and nylon gun cleaning bore brushes used for cleaning barrels - they would work on straight tubes, but not curves.

If a cloth patch can be pushed or pulled through the tube without excessive drag, then I recommend to NOT try DIY further cleaning.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, stay away from DIY stuff... chemicals, etc. Damage done cost money to repair, and sometimes not repairable. Don't use abrasives.

My answer is keep it clean, before you need to do a bunch of work to get it clean. Brass Saver snake is a good one. There are plenty of care kits, swabs, snakes, on the market - Ultra Pure Oils, Monster Oils, Yamaha, SuperSlick, etc all sell good ones.

Soak in warm water with Dawn dishwashing liquid.. If more cleaning need maybe a soak (30 min. or more) with a cup of vinegar in the warm water before washing with Dawn.

Discoloring of brass will happen, it is not damage, nor does it affect play. Slime, mold, gunk build up, should be relatively easy to clean out.
Scab like texture that won't scrub off is likely "red rot" or some corrosion - if so, then time for the next step.
If you're not satisfied, take it to a shop for chemical or ultra-sonic cleaning.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you already have what you need to do good at home maintenance cleanings. (3-4 times a year probably...) A good set of brushes and a good bath with a bunch of Dawn in the water (use really hot water, as the soap will work better, unless your horn is lacquered - hot water can damage lacquer finishes.) This will get out most of the gunky stuff that accumulates.

The green or white deposits will not come off with soap and water. That is dissolved during a chem-clean at a reputable repair shop.
twoforks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello -

I usually soak a horn in warm water with dish soap and then snake, rinse and dry.

Has anyone had experience using the Dawn Powerspray for trumpet internal cleaning?

the Powerspray seems to de-grease pots and pans really well, and would probably work well on a horn, but unsure of the safety on a horn lacquer.

thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: