• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Professional Level Trumpets for HS and College

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiker74

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Professional Level Trumpets for HS and College Reply with quote

Hello
As i'm getting back into playing after about 20 yrs, I personally wasn't that concerned with having a trumpet that would "fit in" perfectly for an ensemble and I was more concerned with something I enjoyed playing. My new found interest is mainly due to my 12yr old son starting into playing for Jr High Band. He's gotten pretty good since starting to play in July of this year and I envision that a step up to a professional horn is something we will be looking at soon. The band director is super good and he is quickly developing quickly as a player. I like how they have kept the brass, woodwinds and percussion separate for 1st semester. For a Christmas/Holiday concert they will be playing mostly all brass songs with a couple combined with the other instruments.

What i'm after is what do you think is a good horn for him to step up to? He's playing a Olds trumpet that was made in Holland (I think in the 1960's) and it sounds ok and is probably better than some of the newer student instruments out there.

When I was in band the only pro level horns discussed were Bach Stradivarius and I ended up with one of those which was a fine instrument. My horizons have been broadened now after looking for my own trumpet so i'm considering the following brands now:

No real order of importance:
Bach Stradivarius 37 or 43 (I had a 43 and it fit in fine)
Schilke (Maybe i series possibly i32)
Adams A1 or A2
Yamaha Xeno or other Japan made Yamahas

Would like to stick to used or demo instruments under $1700 and he would need a case too at that price

I also don't think my son cares whether it's silver now. My wife has a silver Bach 37 and back in the day (80's and 90's) silver meant "better than student level" so everybody wanting a status thing got a silver trumpet (most being a Bach Strad). Today there's a lot of student trumpets in silver too. He understands that in terms of tone quality it does not matter.

Just starting the early stage of the process, so i'll probably take him to go try some or have him try my wife's and mine too. We will also not take this step just to encourage him to practice. A lot of nice horns end up on the used market because little johnny isn't practicing and needs encouragement to do so. We will not do that. Last night he started practicing without being told to do so and that's what we like to see for sure

Jon
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your price range buying used, I’d recommend a Yamaha 8335. A great horn, and in my experience, Yamaha’s are the most consistent on the used market. Your other options are not bad choices either!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to read that your son is enjoying playing the trumpet so much. He's also got great parents that go the extra mile to ensure his success and joy in making music.

Don't have much to add on particular instruments (the brands you listed are all fine). If he's progressing that well, then you're doing the right thing by involving him in the selection process. After all, he's gonna be the one playing it. Gonna be fun visiting stores together too, and a good educational experience for him as well. Normally, I'd suggest having his teacher tag along as well but given that you and your wife are both trumpet players yourselves (what a cool family!), you probably got that covered.

As for the blending bit, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it (but keep in mind, I may not be qualified to make such a statement). Your son's at an age where most kids find there's a whole lot more to music than playing in a school band, and for all you know he could either end up in a symphonic orchestra, a jazz band, or who knows what within the next few years (and he could always borrow your wife's Bach if it became an issue right )?

Last edited by deleted_user_687c31b on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Hiker74

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nltrumpet wrote:
In your price range buying used, I’d recommend a Yamaha 8335. A great horn, and in my experience, Yamaha’s are the most consistent on the used market. Your other options are not bad choices either!

Yeah, a number of the drum corps get new Yamaha instruments each year and end up selling Xenos for $1600 online to fund travel and other expenses. It's the .462 heavyweight version YTR-8345IIRS though and not the standard weight .459 bore model. I'm not sure "how heavy" of bell a Yamaha would be though. Bach Strad standard weight horns some people view as heavy compared to others such as compared to a standard Schilke bell which seem lighter. My understanding is Mt Vernon produced strads were lighter bells as a standard too.

Jon
Hiker74

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hibidogrulez"]
Don't have much to add on particular instruments (the brands you listed are all fine), but just a consideration: if he's progressing that well, then you may want to involve him in the selection process. After all, he's gonna be the one playing it. Could be fun visiting stores together too, and a good educational experience for him as well.

I certainly plan to include him in the process. My dad did with my strad purchase back in the late 1980's. I remember sitting in the seller's living room as a high school freshman playing the horn and at the same time my dad negotiating with the seller whose son played the trumpet for a year and dropped out of band. I remember the son being there acting disgusted
Jon
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiker74 wrote:
I certainly plan to include him in the process.

Apologies, I misread your post the first time around and updated it accordingly.

I think it's a very nice thing you're doing for your son, and I'm sure you're gonna find a great horn!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to know what will work for someone else, but there are some horns that meet the needs of a wider range of players than others. Bach offers many different models and variations on those models, but something like 80% of the professional model Bb trumpets are the 18037 with a standard 25 leadpipe.

Thus, I'd say that the Bach 18037 and similar Yamaha 8335 are a good place to start. Some other reputable horns along those same lines available used in your price range include the Adams A2, Getzen 3050, Shires Q10 (the Shires A, AF and AZ are terrific, but probably outside your price range).

From there, branch out to see if something different offers a better fit. For instance, the Schilke B5, S32 and S32HD have a bell taper similar to the Bach 37, but a different feel and sound concept -- with the S32 and the S32HD coming closer to the Bach sound. The B1 is quite a bit different.

The Bach 18043 is slightly brighter than the 18037 with a sound that spreads more. So, a little less core and a little more sparkle, but still a very similar feel to the Bach 18037.

I haven't played the remodeled Adams A1 so cannot comment on that.

Good luck!
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hiker74,
I think it is just great that you are encouraging your son's musical interest in the trumpet. However, he has only been playing for three or four months. I don't think he's ready for a pro horn yet and a student horn, with its greater resistance, might actually be more appropriate at this point in his development. Unless he is playing the Carnival of Venice variations already and is a prodigy, a pro horn might not do anything for his development as a player at all. Having a high C and a good sense of intonation might be indicators that he needs to move on to a pro horn, but I would guess that that is usually at two to four years of playing. Maybe some of the teachers here could weigh in with the benchmarks that they use.

Your son sounds like a gifted and advanced 12 year old, but I would still also assess how capable of taking care of a pro level horn he is before getting him one.

What would probably be a lot more helpful than a new pro horn at this point would be some lessons. Without the right tutelage, he could easily get stuck in habits that impede his progress as a player. Some players are naturals, but most of us benefit from instruction.

I would try to motivate my son with attention to his playing and praise. A new mute or a different mouthpiece, if teacher suggested, would also be a possibility. Since you are a player yourself, playing duets together would be a great way to foster interest and musicality.

If you take your son somewhere and he plays a bunch of shiny pro horns, he's likely to believe he sounds better on them and that they feel better to play, but there's no guarantee that this is not a placebo effect. It might affect you that way, too. A good teacher should assess whether a new horn works any better than the old one.

I think investing in your kid is great and I am not suggesting some kind of character-building hardship here. Spend as much as you like on him where it benefits him. I just don't know that a pro horn would be useful at this point. Lessons and time spent with him would seem to me to be a better investment right now.

In case someone asks, I'm a retired family and child psychologist, 30 years experience, if that means anything.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Hiker74

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="royjohn"]Hi Hiker74,
I think it is just great that you are encouraging your son's musical interest in the trumpet. However, he has only been playing for three or four months. I don't think he's ready for a pro horn yet and a student horn, with its greater resistance, might actually be more appropriate at this point in his development.

You are absolutely correct. The purchase if there is one won't happen for a while. I think the duets (as well as trios with my wife included) are something we are certainly considering. The mouthpiece idea is a good too.

Jon
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiker74 wrote:

Quote:
I think the duets (as well as trios with my wife included) are something we are certainly considering.

Oh, excellent! I forgot your wife plays, too!

I am glad that sanity reigns at your house and that the purchase of the pro horn is going to wait at least a little while. Looking ahead is good...I am getting rid of a lot of my collection of horns, but I think I will save a couple of cornets for my grandchildren, who are now in preschool...

Maybe a new horn could be a motivator, as in "when you get to such and such instruction book, we'll start looking at a new horn." Working on long term goals is a great thing to teach kids...

Good luck with yours and your son's playing!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Pro level trumpets Reply with quote

Hello Jon,
I think that all the info you have been given is great. $1700 will buy a decent horn, whatever you decide...So that being said, let your wallet be your guide. You might also consider an older Getzen Severinsen for hundreds less, to get him through middle school. If he continues, then something else. I played my dad's Olds special through JH, then got a Severinsen for HS. Side note, I bought my oldest a bari sax in MS, and she only played it a year. Zephyr with a Sterling neck...nice horn...fully overhauled...The Yamaha 6335's are great horns also, and cheaper than the 8335...The was a 6335MV on the marketplace not long ago...Those are great horns.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pro level trumpets Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
You might also consider an older Getzen Severinsen for hundreds less, to get him through middle school. If he continues, then something else. .

I played a Severinsen, professionally, in concert band, jazz band, soul band, classical ensembles and service band for years. Very versatile and a good price.

You might even consider its cousin, a Getzen Capri, IMO really under sung. I have a friend who has played one as first trp. in community band for decades. Great horn, and not to be condescending, I don't see how this horn (or one like it) can't carry him into college, depending on his interest and playing level.

At this stage IMO, considering top-line horns is like "killing a gnat with a sledge hammer".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Hiker74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question
I personally played a Bach Stradivarius 43 through HS, College and a little later, but now 20yrs after and getting back into playing i'm playing a Schilke S32HD and love it so far. It seems like a really good all around horn. Its responsive and is much less muffled than my Strad.

The Schilke seems much easier to pop the notes than my old Bach. It's also odd that even though its an HD series horn, it's still quite a bit lighter than my wife's Bach 37 and my old 43. I'm learning that Mt Vernon Bach's were what the new lightweights are so that may be what I should look at for my son or at least have him play one... I get it that the tone is really pretty on the regular Bach Stradivarius, but i'm finding that my Schilke is easier to play and has equally pretty tone..and that is just into a week of practicing each day consistently for a week. Yes, I know i'm still "new" at this and not an expert on what makes a good horn, but its surprising.

I think i'm going to open the options for my son. I know Bach's are easiest to find due to the much higher production rate as well as dealer network and access to schools, but another Schilke might be in the future. I'm really liking the valves and build quality (not downing Bach, but i'm becoming a believer). In terms of Schilke models would the i32 be a good horn to look at for my son? It seems like its similar to my S32HD, but maybe the heavy pieces are in different places? And yes nothing will be purchased sight unseen or without playing it and having my son play it.

In other news the 7th grade band was given the opportunity to join ensemble evaluations as well as solos and he is going to do it. It's extra curricular but he's going to do it. Pretty cool

Jon
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Schilke instruments almost exclusively (ignore my username) and the Schilke i32 is an excellent all-around trumpet.
If you are leaning towards Schilke and want a versatile trumpet for your son the i32 would be a great choice for a horn to take him through high school, college, and beyond.
Hiker74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F.E. Olds Nut wrote:
I play Schilke instruments almost exclusively (ignore my username) and the Schilke i32 is an excellent all-around trumpet.
If you are leaning towards Schilke and want a versatile trumpet for your son the i32 would be a great choice for a horn to take him through high school, college, and beyond.

Thanks
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Great trumpets at great price. Reply with quote

Look into Kessler Custom trumpets both student and pro lines. I had a great deal of input into the designs and they are being made for Kessler and Sons Music by Carol Brass. The intermediate line is around $800 and the top pro horn with sterling silver leadpipe and rose bell is around $1200. Both come with a beautiful case and I play test each one before shipping.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In terms of Schilke models would the i32 be a good horn to look at for my son? It seems like its similar to my S32HD, but maybe the heavy pieces are in different places? And yes nothing will be purchased sight unseen or without playing it and having my son play it.

No way to know what is a good match for your son, but I'd say that the i32 is a good starting point for a search in the Schilke family. It is a mix of traditional Schilke design elements and elements that might be appealing to someone comfortable with a Bach (18037). Not too different from your S32HD in that regard.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you can't go wrong with any you listed. All fantastic trumpets.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first pro quality horn was a early '70's Getzen Severinsen Eterna as well-I played it all the way through high school, college and gigs at the time. Excellent all around horn and you can find them at reasonable prices. All the suggestions above are good choices......
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, this is a resurrected thread. The op probably made the purchase last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: