• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BE - Roll In and Teeth Alignment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject: BE - Roll In and Teeth Alignment Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to share something here I've worked out last year with regards to a rolled in embouchure that might be helpful for others - or not. I'd be interested to know either way.

I have had a long interest in BE and I do very much believe the Jeff has worked something fundamental out here that separates those that play with ease from those that don't. I've been able to roll in, squeak etc for a long time, but always found some difficulty applying it to the instrument in a way that was useful beyond the squeaks. The reason being that when I roll in both lips, my jaw automatically comes forward to assist that process. That setting is like a triple C emboouchure, and I could never really relax it in a way that brought me into the low register or could really get too much by way of volume up there.

Even using a quite mild roll gets my jaw involved. A milder roll in does definitely work, but because of the jaw involvement, it gave me issues *I think* with connect registers because in the lower register I was playing downstream, as I moved into the upper register, I'd end up in a situation where small changes in jaw position and mouthpiece pressure distribution would change the airstream direction and that would cause all sort of issues. Then for the extreme upper register, I was all upstream (I think).

What I realised is if I really just focus mostly on rolling just the bottom lip, I could go from low to G over Double C with startling ease. When rolling just the bottom lip, the jaw doesn't want to help out, but the top lip still rolls in some, but not nearly as much. This works much better for me and, and interestingly, I can feel my lower lip automatically rolling a little as I change registers. Feels very natural and intuitive.

Strange that it took me so long to notice, I guess I'm a trumpet player and not a rocket scientist for a reason. Nevertheless, perhaps this personal observation will be of help to someone else...
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that you have (apparently) discovered a way to have a more successful roll-in experience.

That said, do you own the BE book? Have you done the Roll In exercises as written in the book?

My experience is, if you do the exercises properly, all of the problems you mentioned fall away very quickly.

Players on the forum hear the term "roll-in," and start fooling around with trying to roll in their lips to see what happens. Usually, it results in something that is not useful or repeatable. They then decide that BE is not for them.

Of course, their problem is 1) there is more than one way to roll in the lips, and 2) they are not doing the BE exercises. BE gives instructions for how to roll in the lips correctly and provides specific constraints which steer the player into a useful RI experience.

In short, there is a world of difference between the hit-and-miss of playing around with rolling in your lips, and following a complete program specifically designed to resolve issues related to rolling in.

And of course, RI exercises are just part of the BE program.

Jeff
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
. . there is a world of difference between the hit-and-miss of playing around with rolling in your lips, and following a complete program specifically designed to resolve issues related to rolling in.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trumpetingbynurture

Thanks for posting and stimulating the discussion - always nice when the BE forum gets some oxygen.

I saw that your last BE post was about 4 years ago - an interesting thread on "Full Time RI" One of my personal BE heroes Bert talked about a direct change with higher mouthpiece placement and how this changed his whole RI set up. But as Bert was quick to point out - his was the exception that proved the rule - which is that BE advocates embouchure development on "autopilot" as opposed to manual override or as Jeff would write "cold turkey." Bert went on to say:
Quote:
I play RO everyday! You MUST do that to balance things. When everything works, I feel a lot of RO in my RI setup, however strange that may sound

which I personally agree with.

On the High Note forum I have been stressing out much more professional players than me by arguing that could notes above the staff be the easy notes. This for me is testimony to the power of BE and the results it can achieve with relative beginner players like me (5 years ago i picked up the horn)

Yesterday I was playing long tone easy Cs above the staff (A note I could not play 6 months ago) but if you asked me what was my RI versus RO set up I would reply "no idea."

I was interested about your point about upstream versus downstream - after a year in with BE I was not happy with my progress - something did not feel right. I tried experimenting and went for a more upstream (I think!) positioning - air hitting the nose as opposed to the chin and horn more parallel to the ground - and this seemed to take the brakes off considerably.

cheers for now and stay safe Steve in Helsinki

Last edited by steve0930 on Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

I have the book, have had it for probably ten years, and have used both roll in and roll out exercises for most of that time. I think you've interpreted what I wrote as some sort of criticism which is a shame because it wasn't.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone can see that I interpreted your post based on what information was given to me. That is why I asked you for more information.

It is also curious that you sent me a message a couple of years ago, saying that it was probably time for you to start exploring BE. I interpreted that as meaning that you didn't have the book.

Finally, it really does surprise me that players sometimes struggle with BE because of misconceptions, and yet never contact me to ask for advice. I don't charge for this. I will work with anyone. All I ask is that a player be sincere.

Jeff
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
Hi Trumpetingbynurture

Thanks for posting and stimulating the discussion - always nice when the BE forum gets some oxygen.

The BE forum is not as active these days, because years ago I stopped recommending that players that I was working with post here. To be clear, I do not tell them to "not" post. I simply don't bring up the topic.

If I did ask them to post, this forum would still be very busy. But that in itself wouldn't really mean anything, except that a lot of people would be posting. For me, restoring progress and helping players achieve success is much easier via private communication, away from the noise of the forum.

steve0930 wrote:
I was interested about your point about upstream versus downstream - after a year in with BE I was not happy with my progress - something did not feel right. I tried experimenting and went for a more upstream (I think!) positioning - air hitting the nose as opposed to the chin and horn more parallel to the ground - and this seemed to take the breaks off considerably.

Ah, I assume that you got this from page 144.

Jeff
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,
Quote:
Ah, I assume that you got this from page 144.

My first reaction when I read this was a slightly indignant "No I didn't" then I opened the book to page 144 to check and lo and behold that exact paragraph was lined in the margin in pencil in triplicate! All roads lead to BE..
In my lesson with Ko I confessed already then to this feeling that air was not going directly enough in to the horn which meant my face was swelling up as I ascended (as a fairly vain person this was not the look I wanted.. not good for my self confidence) - the raising of the bell of the horn and a more forward tongue position has sorted this - so much so that now together with my more balanced embouchure when I now play a C in the staff to a C above the staff I can detect zero sign of increased effort in my face - something some Gentlemen on the High Note forum find difficult to believe...

Thanks for the reply and best wishes, stay safe Steve

PS I was back last week from visiting one of my boys who has just started at Uni in Amsterdam.... it was on the stroke of Midnight.. we were deep underground in this vast relatively new metro station and we had 8 minutes before the train.. the acoustics looked too tempting and I couldn't resist so I pulled the Trumpet from my bag in the certain knowledge that I had at least 1 Supporter on the platform..
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve!

Jeff
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:

It is also curious that you sent me a message a couple of years ago, saying that it was probably time for you to start exploring BE. I interpreted that as meaning that you didn't have the book.

I don't have any recollection of that, but will take your word for it. I would assume what I meant is that it was time for me to take it more seriously.
I own pretty much every pedagogical text and tend to revisit them periodically in case things that didn't seem helpful at an earlier point in time now are the spoonful of medicine that I need. Usually they aren't but I keep an open mind, and have a portion of my routine which is always experimentation, while the rest is meat and potatoes stuff, flexibility, pedals, scales and chord studies, etudes and repertoire.

I have done elements of BE since pretty much forever, and use it in my teaching as well when I can see students' embouchures are "locked" or pinned and they're playing by arm pressure. Incidentally, that's pretty much what I see from any student that started learning from a low brass player or any sort of Arnold Jacobs "just use more air" type teacher. There's nothing I love more than that moment when a student finds with some guidance that if they just hold their lips slightly differently playing feels 50-100% easier. There's that look of surprise and their entire body relaxes a heap etc. Obviously that's just the beginning of the journey but I think just knowing first hand that it *can* feel pretty easy to play is one of those things that goes into their brain and gets them heading in an upwards direction.

With regards to my own BE use, I do some RI and RO every day, usually right at the very start as a warm and just to kind of recalibrate things. I have gone through periods of using it more deliberately / developmentally for several months at a time but didn't really notice any improvement beyond just doing a little roll in and roll out at the start of the day. Which is not to say it didn't help but that it seemed like I was probably more or less in balance already so focused on other technical work instead. Indeed I could go from double pedals up to the double high range, albeit with an annoying break around high F# & G and was lacking some ompf above high D.

I'm not really interested in being a Lead player though so I just put it down to a matter of priorities.

My more recent observation was that my jaw is probably to blame with a lot of persistent subtle problems. I know you talk about a bottom lip tuck on page 144 of the book. For me with emphasis on the bottom lip roll, it *feels* like there's an overlap, but if I look with a visualiser it looks normal, no obvious overlap, and my pivot is actually slightly upwards as I ascend.
I think it's a case of the idea /concept of 'the lips shouldn't overlap' (which is correct in principle) interacts with my own playing sensations to lead me astray from my optimal setup.

Anyway, I was not aware that you did consultations. I was actually somewhat under the opposite impression for whatever reason. I plan to revisit the BE exercises more deliberately with this slight tweak and see what happens, but I'll reach out for sure in the not too distant future to discuss. I'd be interested to chat with you anyway just from a pedagogical point of view.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Trumpetingbynurtue

A jolly nice reply from you and sounds like you are / can be a resource for many. You wrote
Quote:
There's nothing I love more than that moment when a student finds with some guidance that if they just hold their lips slightly differently playing feels 50-100% easier. There's that look of surprise and their entire body relaxes a heap etc.

Nice to read this kind of feedback in black and white. Makes me feel more confident that I am on the right track.

Best wishes and stay safe, Steve in Helsinki.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
trumpetteacher1 wrote:

I don't have any recollection of that, but will take your word for it. I would assume what I meant is that it was time for me to take it more seriously.

Fair enough!

I'm glad that you have had positive experiences with BE, both in playing and in teaching. Thanks for the good words.

My approach to consultations is this:

I will work with anyone as long as they are sincere. Players send videos. I send feedback via email.

Over the years I have learned to not trust any claims (in email or on TH) regarding playing level and self-diagnostics. This includes claims about BE, pro and con. Many believe that they are doing BE exercises correctly, when they are actually doing them in a way that keeps them stuck at the same level. That is why I ask players to send videos to illustrate an issue. One video is worth a thousand analytical comments on the forum.

Players who work with me also get extra "tweaks." After 20 years, I have discovered some ways to tweak progress, and specific tweaks are assigned if the player needs them. None of these tweaks are a magic bullet. The core of the method is still in the book.

I don't charge for consultations, unless the players wants weekly feedback and sends video of a dozen or more exercises each week. In that case, we enter into a payment agreement.

All of this is conditional on how much time I have. I am a slow typist, but so far, keeping up has not been an issue.

I hope this is helpful!

Jeff
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that information about consultation. I will be in touch in the not too distant future.

Knowing you do offer consultations then people really should just forget my post and contact you directly if they are having issues with applying BE.

I personally have always thought that BE was really onto something fundamental.
Other than normal fundamentals, it's really the only thing I have come back to again and again, usually because something has gone a bit haywire, and it does always put me back in equallibrium.

The reason I have never really posted much is I didn't have anything much to add to the conversation. I still don't!
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that information about consultation. I will be in touch in the not too distant future.

Knowing you do offer consultations then people really should just forget my post and contact you directly if they are having issues with applying BE.

It is not my intent to shut off comments. There is value in posting positive tips for improvement. My reaction was to the idea that you didn't have the book. That was not the case. And even though my assumption was incorrect, it led to a worthwhile discussion, I hope you agree.

The bigger question here, I think, is what to do when you hit a plateau.

A common path for players who get the book, is that they start getting better. BE forces them out of their comfort zone (a bit) and causes them to push the envelope by doing exaggerated exercises. And range improves to the point where they are hitting higher notes that they previously could only dream about. The problem is, these new notes tend to be thin. Rather than continuing to push the envelope with snaps and zips, the player becomes merely content with being able to hit higher notes.

When you say that you are "not interested in being a lead player," I think that you are missing the point. Every player needs to become stronger. The minute that you let your foot off the gas in practice, you will become stuck at a particular level. Without pushing the envelope, thin high notes stay thin.

I assume that you are familiar with Earl Irons 27 Groups of Exercises? Many use it for daily practice, but few actually read the text. On page 20 he writes, "If the student pinches or squeezes the high tones and cannot play them clearly at a stinging forte, he is merely deceiving himself as to his ability to play high tones."

For the record, Irons was not a commercial player or a screaming jazzer. He was a concert band guy.

My main role in helping players stuck on a plateau is to get them to begin pushing the envelope again, and to play the exercises as written (as played on the CD).

Again, I hope this helps. My expectations are low, however, because players have funny ideas about work and progress. It may be worthwhile going into player psychology in a future post.

Jeff
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your post above.

I think the tricky thing is walking the line in the practice room between pushing the envelope vs forcing. I haven't been through the irons books in a few years, but am going through the Colin lip flex book for a 3rd time. I usually stop around a concert high D/Eb as after that I start to feel a bit like I'm forcing, although some of the exercises I have taken up to Double A as they were a bit easier to extend.

In any case, I'm doing the BE exercises properly again and will see what happens over the next 6 months or so.

The hardest exercise in the book for me is the Roll In + TOL exercise. I pretty much can't do it, at least not currently. It's really hard to get that top lip down below the teeth edges when rolled in past a certain point. This probably explains why it's easier for me to K tongue an entry in the upper register than to tongue it with the tip.

The standard TOL exercise (which I assume is supposed to be done without RI or RO unless I missed something) are fine until about the D in the staff then that top lip's slow creep upwards starts to make it hard to contact it with the tongue ... Which just means I have to keep working at it until it gets better I expect.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I appreciate your honesty.

I guess that we are going to get into psychology.

What exactly is "forcing?"

To me, it is not tangible. Rather it is a quality that players have assigned in their mind. Saying that you are "forcing" is very much like saying that you are using "too much pressure."

The fact is, no player actually knows how much force or pressure is too much, especially when they are at a particular development stage, or not yet developed at a very high level. Studies have shown that pro players at times use a lot more pressure than amateurs. For them this is a normal part of the playing experience.

EDIT - the following is an example of a particular issue. To be clear, I am NOT saying that you have this issue.

One of the biggest challenges for me (after writing BE) was to learn how to deal with players who carry around the "too much pressure" baggage. I encounter these players all the time. Once you start thinking about mouthpiece pressure, and believe that it is a limiting factor, you are lost. It becomes ingrained in your way of thinking.

Prior to BE, I only had one student who somehow picked up that belief (in high school). Twenty-five years ago, I remember giving him a lesson in his living room. I asked him to play a two octave D scale, up and down. He did it, and sounded great. But immediately afterward, he shook his head, and said "too much pressure." At that time, I really didn't know how to respond, so I let it drop. A big mistake. He later went to college, and studied with every teacher he could find, in hopes of solving the pressure problem. All that happened was that he got more and more screwed up, until he could barely play anything at all.

Years later, he noticed that I had written BE, so he contacted me about resuming lessons. I spent a lot of time convincing him that pressure was not his problem. Even so, it took about 6 months to resolve the issue.

Regarding the pressure issue, it is better to learn how to play with abandon. Push the envelope, rest when tired, and let the pressure take care of itself.

Regarding your difficulty with TOL while rolled in - this is not an option. You need to learn how to do it. And that goes double for being able to spit on the top lip during the regular TOL exercise. In your case, you are doing the exercise precisely to learn how to pull down the top lip into the airstream. A lot of players hit the wall about D in the staff. Getting higher than D requires shifting your setup downwards. Most players eventually figure out how to pull their corners down a bit.

What I've written so far are general comments. Specific comments are reserved for players who I work with, after more clearly understanding their individual situations.

As always, hope this helps!

Jeff

Last edited by trumpetteacher1 on Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff, we would love to read about the psychology of trumpet students or types of students. We already have some things about the types of trumpet teachers in the BE book, it would be good to read about the other side of the coin, the students.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpjerele, everyone is biased. My attempt in the BE book to categorize teachers was to show how teacher bias will affect how a lesson is taught.

With students, it is more about uncovering what kind of fear they bring into a lesson. Fear is the great multiplier of embouchure problems. Fears can be deeply ingrained, and quite powerful. Sometimes a teacher can address a fear directly, but more often it is necessary to address it indirectly (kind of like immersion therapy). Otherwise, you run the risk of shutting down progress completely.

Students tend to justify their fears, or barely be aware they exist. Common fears, and student rationalizations for those fears include:

Fear of mouthpiece pressure (it should be effortless).

Fear of high notes (high notes are difficult or painful)

Fear of playing loud (it is too ugly)

Fear of playing with abandon (I might lose control)

Fear of appearance (I look terrible with puffed cheeks or playing to one side)

Fear of experimenting (It doesn't feel natural)

There are many more. And each would deserve a long commentary explaining why each fear is unnecessary, and how to overcome it via the BE exercises and get back on the path to progress.

Teaching is not easy.

PS - I edited my post above this one to make it clearer. Trying to stay ahead of the curve.

Jeff
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for another great post, Jeff.

I'm tempted to keep responding in the hopes you'll keep replying with such great stuff.

Thanks for the push to persist at the TOL. I'll keep at it and see what happens and let you know and I'll be less complacent about working the upper register more assertively.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of what you've said in the last two posts really rings true with my own experiences. Ideas about playing get in your head and set limits on you, and you seldom realise it's even happening. Often it's not that the idea itself is wrong, it just might be "wrong for now" or "was right 2 years ago and no longer relevant". Or often it's invisible confusion over linguistics. One person says something about playing, the other person or student thinks they get what is meant, but it's wrong in subtle way that would take a lot of words to uncover and correct. And because it's 90% right, it's helpful to some extent until it isn't, at which point you run into a roadblock and can't work out why you have a limitation that just won't resolve itself. And on it goes.

I have had this happen to me with probably every aspect of playing I think, and it will probably happen over and over I expect. Unfortunately, it can take months or years to realise what random little piece of code in the brain is throwing up an error. It's usually completely invisible to ourselves and can take months for even the most perceptive teacher to realise what is really happening.

All this is to say that not only is there so much information out there of varying degrees of usefulness that it's hard to know which ones to take in, it's also hard to know which ones to toss out.

The funny thing to me is that old adage "trumpet playing is 95% mental". Usually said as though having 95% of what makes for success be an invisible process is somehow supposed to make things easier not harder...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: