• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I don’t have a consistent embouchure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J0AP23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: I don’t have a consistent embouchure Reply with quote

I’ve been playing trumpet for about 3-4 years now and I’ve had this same problem. My embouchure is not consistent. When I play it’s like figuring out how to play all over again. I pick up my trumpet mess around for a minute and when a note comes out I’m doing something right. This doesn’t last very long and my chops get really fatigued.

This also started lots of really bad habits. The main ones are breathing and pressure. I cannot last long when I play and it sucks. I have to practice so much because I got to an arts school and I’ve never gotten through a full day without feeling like crap. My band director doesn’t know what to do and I’ve been trying to figure stuff out but nothings working. He says it’s a mental problem which I’m kind of starting to believe.

The pressure problem is starting to go away but I need an embouchure that I can practice on and I feel like starting is the best way to do that. It’s really hard to do because I still have to practice for all of these classes and I can’t find time to focus on both things. It’s especially hard in the beginning of those classes because I want to play in class but I also would like to practice when I get home and improve.

I know I need to develop the embouchure that I didn’t when I first started playing so I can play without having to go through this every single day. I just don’t know how.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at any of the online youtube videos about 'basic trumpet embouchure'?
Are you trying to emulate a method that you've seen - what is the LINK to that video?

Does your mouthpiece seem to 'fit' on your lips and teeth in a consistent position that doesn't cause pain or injury?
Does the mouthpiece seem 'about the right size' - not overly large or small? And what brand and model # mouthpiece are you using?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Trumpetgas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Greg Spence Mystery to Mastery. Even contacting him for a few online lessons will help or connect with a qualified teacher in your area who understands chop problems and development.
J0AP23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve looked at tons of videos and looked at some pictures of trumpet players. My current band director showed me a method for creating a embouchure that’s sort of works but my tone is weird and I can only play in the low register. He also gave me a contact for his band director who told me to buy a 5C mouthpiece (which is what I’m using) and see if that works. It’s helped but I’m still having trouble with figuring this out. I’ve noticed that lots of player have both their lips in the mouthpiece and I haven’t been doing that.

I want to try another mouthpiece but I also want to figure this out on the 5C because compared to the 7C I was using it’s way better. I can’t seem to find anything on developing an embouchure. I know I have to play more but everyone seems to just figure it out on there own. It could just be me being impatient.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0AP23 wrote:
... I’ve noticed that lots of player have both their lips in the mouthpiece and I haven’t been doing that. ...

-------------------
What have you been doing?

In very general terms, the rim of the mouthpiece is somewhat centered left-and-right, and up-and-down on the lips, and the lips are supported from behind by the upper and lower teeth. There should be an up/down gap between the upper and lower teeth (at least 1/8 inch for the front teeth) - the upper and lower teeth should never touch each other.

There should be some pressure on the mouthpiece rim by BOTH the upper and lower lips, you might have to press slightly forward with your lower teeth/jaw.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
J0AP23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top lip is partially outside of the mouthpiece but I feel more pressure on my bottom lip. When I try putting more of my top lip in it’s either just air or really weird sounds.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being redundant, I have to ask -

Is it really that mystical a thing to find and use a GOOD teacher to help you, first hand and "up close"?

What is so beneficial about looking for answers when you post no video and ask a bunch of internet strangers who are just making this a guessing game?

You have been playing several years and are still having fundamental problems? What's the popular definition of "insanity" - "Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results"?

This may seem blunt, but come on, man. You've got more potential than this. If you tell us where you live, maybe a Forum member knows of a good teacher in your area.

I don't think it was illogical to come here for advice and we welcome you, but I would suggest that advice be more philosophical and not technical. You need in-person help.

Best of luck. We're with you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate these threads because we have a struggling player who needs serious help and attention and the only person that can help them is a proper teacher. I know I owe my playing career to my mentor who changed my whole approach to trumpet and gave me the embouchure I never had before. What's your location OP and we can probably recommend someone to reach out to.
J0AP23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Washington D.C.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0AP23 wrote:
I live in Washington D.C.

Oh man, you shouldn't have any problem at all. DC is a mecca. With players from five of the major service bands in the area, faculty at CUA, American, Howard universities, National and Arlington symphonies not to mention other secondary and free-lance teachers, the sky's the limit.

(BTW, don't let the "Catholic" in Catholic University mean anything. Many people who are multi/non religious go there-even me, LOL. It's excellent and ecumenical.)

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned that you are attending and arts school so if you are not taking lessons from a trumpet player you should be. I would ask your band director for some suggestions. As mentioned above there probably is an abundance of trumpet teachers in your area. Things that may help you while you are getting a teacher:

Establish a consistent warmup routine if you do not already have one.

Rest frequently. Do not play long stretches without taking the horn off you face. Do not play for more that five or ten minutes with out taking a break. Stop playing before you get tired and your mechanics start to break down. Easy to say and hard to do sometimes.

Rest between each exercise or line with the horn off your face. If you play 8 bars, rest for 8 bars minimum.

As much as you may not want to, you may have set the horn down for a day or two. There are things you can do to practice without playing such as fingering while you are singing the tune.

Excessive mouthpiece pressure is often caused by overblowing. Back off the volume and see if that helps. Practice softly as possible while still getting good tone. Overblowing also causes fatigue because your embouchure muscle have to work hard to hold your embouchure in place.

This problem wasnt caused overnight and it will not be fixed overnight. It may take weeks/months to correct. It will take even longer if you try to do it without proper help.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JayKosta"]Have you looked at any of the online youtube videos about 'basic trumpet embouchure'?

NOOOOO!!

That's the absolute worst thing you could do.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Bill Dunn for lessons.

PM me for his contact info.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0AP23 wrote:
I’ve looked at tons of videos and looked at some pictures of trumpet players. My current band director showed me a method for creating a embouchure that’s sort of works but my tone is weird and I can only play in the low register. He also gave me a contact for his band director who told me to buy a 5C mouthpiece (which is what I’m using) and see if that works. It’s helped but I’m still having trouble with figuring this out. I’ve noticed that lots of player have both their lips in the mouthpiece and I haven’t been doing that.

I want to try another mouthpiece but I also want to figure this out on the 5C because compared to the 7C I was using it’s way better. I can’t seem to find anything on developing an embouchure. I know I have to play more but everyone seems to just figure it out on there own. It could just be me being impatient.

Very few "figure it out on their own". The odds are way against you.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B.
Well said. All three.
OP, get a teacher!!!
R. Tomasek
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to take a break from the classes to focus on getting things right? I'm sure the added pressure isn't helping.

I would echo finding help. I'm a comeback player who floundered for quite a while on my own to get my embuocher set.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a second thought about seeking a teacher. Be completely up front with whoever you speak to. You need someone good at diagnosing and solving problems. Maybe the person you talk to really doesn't want to mess with that but, t the same time, knows somebody that does.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unpopular opinion, but as a high schooler I studied with some very well respected teachers in the Los Angeles area and they did not help me solve what I have discovered in later years was a fundamental problem with my embouchure. None of them even identified it as an issue I needed to fix. They had me go through the normal routines - Schlossberg, Clarke, etc. But it wasn’t helpful because I was struggling to play it on a broken setup. I ended up feeling like they didn’t really care. And these guys are teachers who are regularly lauded on this site and in the trumpet community as great teachers.

This is not to say that all teachers are like this. But you do need to be honest and demanding - define what you want, and determine for yourself what is not working. If you can find a teacher you vibe with and who really wants to help you, jackpot! That’s definitely the way to go. But trust your instincts too. Generally speaking too much pressure and uneven mouthpiece placement are the main culprits of poor endurance, range, and tone. It’s actually not rocket science. Your lips need to vibrate and you need good air flow to support them. The difficulty is in finding the right placement for your facial structure that allows your lips to vibrate freely. Once you’ve identified it, then it’s just a matter of building strength and coordination. It require focus, it requires self analysis, it requires time. It doesn’t require an advanced degree. One of the biggest problems young talented trumpet players face is being required to play too much and too far beyond their abilities when they haven’t yet developed the strength and correct placement. If you can take time off and play 30 minutes a day, but play the right way every time, you’ll see a world of improvement.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna argue with the 'get a teacher' recommendation: a qualified person who is able to observe and correct you in real life is much more likely to succeed than any advice given through a forum (caveat: I do agree with Kehaulani that you should be picky about finding a teacher that's right for you).

That being said, because I'm neurotic about wanting to help others, there's 2 thoughts I'd like to share with you.

First of all, from what you're describing, you've got a very busy (stressful?) playing schedule, snowballing from assignment to assignment without having a moment inbetween to actually work on your technique. It may be beneficial to take some time off and let your chops (and mind) recover a bit. A well-timed moment of rest can be more helpful than forcibly keep going just because you've got a schedule to keep. Essentially, take a step back, breathe, and evaluate where you are, and what would help you. The world is not gonna end if you take a moment off, or even if you miss a class.

The second thought is that, if you're having a particularly 'bad chops' day, consider putting the trumpet back in its case and call it a day. Trying to beat your chops into submission will only reïnforce bad habits and train the wrong muscles. Muscle memory is a powerful thing so if you can teach your body the 'good chops' day embouchure, you'll start having those days more often.

Anyway, that's just some amateur's thoughts, feel free to discard them if they're not helpful. Good luck, and I hope you find a way to sort out your issues.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post video of yourself playing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: