• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I don’t have a consistent embouchure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello JOAP23,
Sorry you are receiving so much contradictory advice, but as you've probably discovered, there isn't a consensus on how to play the trumpet. Some folks are lucky enough to develop good habits by chance and others struggle for years or quit in frustration. A few things I can say to add to what's already been said.

1. No, it isn't a mental thing. You describe a problem with embouchure placement and use.

2. Your schedule, which seems to involve a lot of playing throughout the day, possibly without the adequate rest others have described, is not helping you at all. Arts Academies are not necessarily good at helping students who have playing problems. This is also true of a lot of colleges...if you have good habits already, they can develop you musically, but they are clueless as to how to help a player with technique problems. If your embouchure is not right, of course you are going to tire out with a lot of playing. The solution is to stop playing when you are tired and to find a good embouchure placement.

3. Your rather low placement indicates that you are probably a type IV player. Type IV places differently from most players and comprises only about 15% of players. Many teachers don't understand type IV and will tell you you are placing wrong, but if you really are type IV, that isn't true. Wynton Marsalis is type IV, so enough said.

4. A Reinhardt oriented chop doc can help you with this. You have Xmas break coming up, so that is an idea time away from regular practice to work on this problem. You are in the DC area and probably the most eminent proponent of Reinhardt's approach is Doug Elliot, who is in Silver Springs. He is also a mouthpiece maker, so he can recommend a different mpc if that is part of the solution.

5. If you consult Doug or another chop doc, they should be able to spot your problem in the first session and start you on a track to fix it. It shouldn't take forever, altho' it could take more than one session to figure out your exact embouchure problem. I would say in a session or two you would know you were on the right track to solving your problem, altho' relearning what to do correctly could take a while.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You are in the DC area and probably the most eminent proponent of Reinhardt's approach is Doug Elliot, who is in Silver Springs."

I am not a proponent of Rheinhardt, but in-person help from a well-experienced "chop doctor" is right down the street. I don't think you need any more advice than to give him a call. It's in your hands.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: