• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

local music scenes today

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often are you going to local shows or actively listening to new music?
everyday
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
multiple times a week
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
once a week
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
once a month
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
i just watch rick beato videos & completely take on any opinion i've heard from a stranger as my own
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
never
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: local music scenes today Reply with quote

i've noticed a pretty common trend of *insert general complaint about music today* & i'm curious as to how often people on this forum are going to shows or checking out new music.

how are y'all finding your new music?

which town or city do you live in?

who are your favorite local bands/artists?

-andrew
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The All About Jazz daily song is a wonderful thing.

I am reminded of the recent-ish "Are players today as good as players of the past?" thread that devolved into a bunch of 'No one compares to [insert famous name from the 1930s through 1970s here],' without incorporating that

1) trumpet players, by and large, don't become famous anymore and their audiences are highly restricted, even to members of communities such as this,

2) in the jazz idiom today's players mostly don't want to play the swing and bebop of their grandparents' era, which means they don't sound like Miles or Harry James or Lee Morgan, and

3) it's all subjective matters of personal taste and there's no right or wrong
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:

2) in the jazz idiom today's players mostly don't want to play the swing and bebop of their grandparents' era, which means they don't sound like Miles or Harry James or Lee Morgan

I think some do want to (and can) but they can't make a good living at it. They have to play in the variety of styles that today's market demands.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
John Mock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I literally cannot name the last time a trumpet player did a concert (as a soloist), in any idiom, in the greater Harrisburg, PA area, since Doc Severinson when he was only 87 or so. I was at that Doc concert, and he played great.

So I listen to new music videos on YouTube, yes, but live concerts? No. Haven't been to one in ages other than at Messiah College for a high school concert.

I don't even feel safe in downtown Harrisburg at night anymore.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: local music scenes today Reply with quote

agolden wrote:
who are your favorite local bands?
The ones that hire me! Sorry, couldn't resist- but seriously, very fortunate to be playing
in three different bands and work has been steady.
The last concert I went to was in August, checked out a friend's brass band- they were great!
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I get out usually 2 times a month to hear live music. We have 1 band (jazz) that we hear each month, and we usually find another event as well. We just found another band to hear on a monthly basis, so we should have 2 we can plan around each month. Both perform well outside of the downtown scene, in the far suburbs, in small venues.

There is nothing like live music in a small venue. A setting that allows the band members talk to audience members between songs and sit with us between sets is all part of the evening!

But as mentioned a few posts above, we are very careful where we are at night. Sad but true, and I feel like it is trending in the wrong direction.
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: