• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

sterilizing a horn after covid

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fintonissimo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: sterilizing a horn after covid Reply with quote

Hi all, I didn't find anything by searching the forums, but I was wondering what would be the best way to sterilize a trumpet after having Covid.

My student recently came down with Covid, and I was wondering what he should do to sterilize his trumpet after he has recovered. My initial impression is that a warm soapy bath with thorough brushing/swabbing with a snake would be good enough. The horn is silver, so there is no worry over potentially damaging a lacquered finish.

Any insights?

Thanks, Chuck
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sterilize" is a medical term for completely devoid of germs and pathogens (like a brand new surgical scalpel). You can't "sterilize" something that is exposed to air, as it will instantly pick up dust, mold, bacteria, and other stuff. I think you're looking for a disinfectant protocol, in which case a bath with warm, soapy water should be more than sufficient. Most pathogens cannot survive on copper alloys or silver for more than 2 hours, so the horn should be fine with no cleaning, but with the amount of sludge that often lives inside trumpets, a bath is probably the best bet.

I hope your student has a speedy recovery! Stay safe.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
"Sterilize" is a medical term for completely devoid of germs and pathogens (like a brand new surgical scalpel). You can't "sterilize" something that is exposed to air, as it will instantly pick up dust, mold, bacteria, and other stuff. I think you're looking for a disinfectant protocol, in which case a bath with warm, soapy water should be more than sufficient. Most pathogens cannot survive on copper alloys or silver for more than 2 hours, so the horn should be fine with no cleaning, but with the amount of sludge that often lives inside trumpets, a bath is probably the best bet.

I hope your student has a speedy recovery! Stay safe.

Technically, , one can sterilize a trumpet. The sterilization might not last very long since it will be exposed to air, dust, mold, bacteria and other stuff. Just like surgical tools are are no longer sterile after being exposed to the environment.

IIRC, sterilize is a step beyond disinfecting. It also requires equipment and materials not commonly found in home shops.

And, IMHO, it really is overkill for addressing covid in a trumpet, especially since, as Goby points out, copper and silver have anti-microbial properties that assist.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soap and lukewarm water should be sufficient to remove most, if not all of the Covid-19, because soap molecules tears the virus's membrane apart (source).
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a pharmacy that sells 99% Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. dunk parts in a quart jar of it and, afterward, pour the alcohol into the bell and other pipes. If you have Spitballs or Blow-Dry Brass foam plugs, dunk those in the alcohol and blow them through the clean horn.

That should be about as good a result as possible without an autoclave.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I caught COVID, I just practiced on a backup horn. This was to keep from blowing any congestion/mucus into my good horns. Once I was recovered, I switched back to my main instruments. It was a performance decision (keep my good horns clean) rather than anything health-related. I didn’t do any special cleaning of the backup or main horns outside of normal maintenance. I can’t imagine anything COVID-related surviving very long inside an instrument.

For a student’s horn, a bath is probably always a good idea. If it makes anyone feel better, use this as an excuse to have the student clean the horn.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day, I poured a pint or so of concentrated bleach down the mouthpipe of my tuba. I then pressed all 3 valves and blew it through. Then I rinsed with the water hose on the mouthpipe, letting several gallons flow with the valves pressed and also working them. No more musty smell. It sounds extreme, but the result seems good.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting bleach in a horn sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. I wouldn't want a caustic chemical like that sitting in my horn, nor would I want to inhale any fumes while playing. Rubbing alcohol would also seem to be a bad idea as it would break down the lubricants on the pistons and slides. Soap and water is fine for disinfecting an instrument. Just get the organic sludge out of the inside, as that is the only surface that could potentially harbor pathogens.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Find a pharmacy that sells 99% Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

Stronger is not always better.

It has been found that high concentrations (~95%) dehydrate the virus, allowing it to survive. Concentrations in the 62~80% range are recommended by the NIH. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7521917/

Soap - like a dish soap, not a detergent - and water should get it clean.

Here are the EPA's comments on disinfect, sanitize, and clean: https://www.epa.gov/coronavirus/whats-difference-between-products-disinfect-sanitize-and-clean-surfaces

And as Rusty pointed out, don't forget about the anti-microbial effect of brass. There's a reason door knows are made from brass...

Gary,
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And as Rusty pointed out, don't forget about the anti-microbial effect of brass. There's a reason door knows are made from brass...

And whatever the door knows, it's not telling.

Whatever happened to rub the mouthpiece with your shirt tail and hand it to the next guy?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a little research, you will find srudies showing that covid survives for less than an hour on mildly oxidized yellow brass. Silver is listed as an anti-viral agent by the CDC (even against Ebola). But to be absolutely sure, you can clean the horn normally and then rinse out with isopropyl alcohol. Take the felts and soak those in alcohol and the carefully dry them. You will need to keep them in the right order, and also make sure it doesn't compress them. If it does, replace with matched thicknesses.

Do not use bleach or acids or peroxide. All of these can really damage the horn.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I recommended 99% Isopropyl Alcohol is that I have found in tests that it leaves an extremely clean surface on yellow brass plate. This was used as a surface preparation prior to applying a hydrophobic/oleophobic nano-coating. The coating performed noticeably better in tests when the surface was prepared with 99%, as opposed to 70% or even 90% Isopropyl.

It seems to me that a clean surface is best for health. 99% Isopropyl is better than any other surface cleaner I've tested.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding chlorine bleach for cleaning instruments, the chlorate is bleach is a powerful oxidizer, and will corrode metal surfaces (especially silver) to the point of removing metal, and making metal halides (e.g. silver chloride) that could have health concerns.

I would not advise this.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of question comes up once in a while. I'm surprised it hasn't come up more in the last 18 months.

Speaking as a physician. You can not sterilize a horn without damaging it, as has already been stated. In addition, you can't disinfect a horn without first cleaning it.

Most of the microorganisms in a trumpet are living in crud and other debris inside your horn. So the best way to disinfect a horn is to do a normal cleaning (warm water, Dawn dishwashing liquid, and cleaning snake/brushes). This is what the OP suggested, and he is correct.

It likely won't harm the horn to do more, such as using 70% isopropyl alcohol, but it likely won't help much more than a good cleaning. Keep in mind that COVID-19 and most other non-enveloped viruses can only live for a couple hours on metal surfaces. Someone suggested 99% isopropyl alcohol, which is a good cleaning agent (as that person noted), but which is not a good anti-microbial agent (you need 10-30% water in the alcohol for it to be anti-microbial).

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Materials chemist here. Putting bleach or acids or anything along those lines in a brass instrument is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. When blowing through the horn afterwards, you only need to inhale a little bit of bleach- or acid-loaded air and you’re in trouble. This also goes for isopropyl alcohol - not good for you (mind you, IPA is not ethanol - related but different compound. You can’t drink IPA).

2. Acids and bases can attack metals and alloys - the keywords are the redox potential and the solubility product. Zinc already dissolves in so-called non-oxidizing acids while for copper you‘ll need an oxidizing acid. The latter is typically not found in households, so what you’re doing with a household acid treatment is removing the zinc. In fact you’re doing a power approach to red rot. Similar processes go for extremely basic solutions such as bleach.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the CDC said last year at a white house press conference that

Once the virus landed on a surface it could only survive for 6 seconds.

Not sure if that applies to inside of a dark wet metal trumpet that was played.
Not sure if that statement was ever modified since that presser either though.

Pretty sure a normal warm soapy water bath would make me feel fine about it.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the virus can remain active for more than a few hours on brass. Even less time on pure copper. Empty the horn of saliva when you are done playing, and swab out the lead pipe and tuning crook. If you keep the horn clean it should be fine.
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many of you are missing an important factor. You all say that Covid does not survive on brass long, which is true when it is on an open surface. With the insides of an instrument it is very, very different.

The inside of your horn is filled with biofilm and condensation from warm air which can contain the virus and survive. Do any of you remember the who trombone lung thing and the study of all the nasty bacteria and viruses that lived in a horn? Covid is no different.

Especially if you have had covid and even if you have not had it you should wash your horn in warm soapy water. Completely disassemble the horn, all slides, caps and valves and give your horn a proper bath, snaking out all parts. There is really no other short cut that works!

Josh
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Landress Brass wrote:
The inside of your horn is filled with biofilm ....

Agreed, as I stated above.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
fintonissimo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks one and all for all of the great information, and for confirming my original thought. I didn't want to tell my student the wrong thing, so I appreciate the feedback; and I learned a couple things as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: