• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Get the most out of college

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Get the most out of college Reply with quote

I'm currently in college as a STEM major. But I'm very involved with trumpet--taking lessons with the professor, in the jazz and wind ensembles, as well as the orchestra. The professor is great, and I'm surrounded by some serious grad school students that are some of the best in the country. I'm really inspired right now and I have a goal of playing trumpet professionally one day.

I'm writing this post because I want to get the most out of my college years. I have all the resources in the world to improve my playing and I want to be "good". How can I be sure I make the most of my time here? How much should I be practicing? How good should I be when I graduate? What advice can you give?

I realize this is broad but trumpet is on my mind and I am always interested in advice. Thanks
OldHorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out of college for a long time, but I made a living as a musician. Some things to think about.

Be open to any and all music opportunities that come your way. This includes playing the horn, composing, orchestration, copying, sound engineering, scoring to film, software development, anything that you can think of that's related to music. It's much harder to make a living as a full time trumpet player than it was years ago. The more hats you can wear, the more opportunities that will come your way.

Make friends. Down the road, when one of these friends gets successful, they often will look back to their college years to bring a old friend on board.

Don't be an arrogant jerk. There's more to being a professional musician than just being the best player. You have to be a nice person to be around. During my college years, one trumpet player in particular practiced more than everyone else. He wanted to be the best. But he was such a jerk to be around. He always played the lead chair. I played the 2nd chair. That didn't bother me, I viewed the college band as a stepping stone, nothing more than that.

But after we left school, something changed. I started getting calls to play jingle sessions, to be a studio musician. These were sessions with union contracts, residuals, pension contributions. The other musicians were among the best in the country, symphony players, jazz players, country music. And I'm this 24 year old kid who finds himself playing in these sessions.

One day I get a call from the college 1st chair trumpet player. He comes right out and says to me, "Why are you getting all of these sessions to play? I'm a better player than you, they should be calling me."

I didn't tell him that his personality was to blame. But it was. Just try to be a person who's nice to be with.

And practice as much as you can. Don't focus too much on high notes. They're fun to play, but in real world sessions that I played for 30 years, I never had to play higher than a D. But good sight-reading for a professional is expected.

Good luck.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ, I think you are on a great path majoring in something else. I think it's all about your attitude and how energy you invest into music- a music degree only matters to open certain doors, specifically in education if you see yourself teaching, as well as playing in a professional orchestra.
You are already playing in the ensembles and taking lessons from the prof. Hone in on what kind of playing you see yourself doing, teach yourself a lot about recording and music technology, and keep practicing. Hang out with the music majors and form some connections. A lot of being successful is about who you surround yourself with. Also consider looking into some competitions or festivals in your area.
I have a friend from college who was not a music major but he played in all the ensembles, he loved music, played multiple instruments, and is still playing today. I think he is more musically active than many of the people who were music majors at the state school we attended. He had a joy and lighthearted approach to music that a lot of music majors don't have because they are "serious" and don't explore very much.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from being a good person to work with...

Have a good sound. A great sound, if you can. Always work on your sound.

Having a bunch of technique and notes and skills is great, but if you don't sound as good as those skills.... you're not going to get as much work.

I've run across guys who could play better than me, but frankly, didn't sound great. I never wondered why I would get calls for jobs and they didn't as much.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Get the most out of college Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I'm currently in college as a STEM major. ...

-----------------------
A 'different option' - I suggest that you first consider how your total available time is spent - academics, 'professional growth', leisure (including trpt), social, etc.

And for most people it needs to be a blend - to stay physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy.

For academics, I suggest spending the extra time doing the various 'suggested exercises' in each section - the process of actually DOING the work is as important as learning the theory.

For professional growth, I suggest talking with your teachers, advisor, graduate students, staff who maintain the equipment, etc. to find out if there are extra-curricular activities or groups that you could be involved with.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Bachatit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You write that you are a STEM major but "have a goal of being a professional trumpet player someday". A STEM degree is FAR more marketable than a trumpet performance degree and (as a STEM grad) you can write your own ticket. That said, there is always a market for trumpet players at the top and if you can be that rare player, go for it! As a STEM grad myself, I have had a great career AND have enjoyed playing and studying the trumpet along the way. And I didn't have to suffer the inevitable dissapointment that most trumpet majors suffer when they find they cannot support themselves through trumpet performance alone. Regardless of the career path you chose, you can always bring your trumpet along. Best
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were just starting out in Music today, I would be excited, especially with all the technological possibilities. But I, personally. wouldn't be going into Music with the expectation of a stable, lucrative life. I wouldn't do it for material gain, rather for aesthetic reasons.

This is not to imply what is right or wrong or that with enough of the right kind of dedication and opportunities, you can't end up a millionaire. But that's another path.

Again, I can only speak for myself. I never did it for material gain. Ironically, I came out pretty good. "Do what you love and the money will follow,"

There are Forum posts and threads on this topic ad nauseum. "Seek and ye shall find."

But your degree tach and the preparatory life of a budding musician usually work at cross purposes. they're each self-absorbing and I don't know how you can do both and still have a life, My first regular teacher made me repeat and remember a phrase before I could begin studies with him. "Music is a wonderful hobby. Just don't ever make it your profession."

I don't want to put undue pressure on you, but I think you have a decision to make.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldHorn wrote:

in real world sessions that I played for 30 years, I never had to play higher than a D. But good sight-reading for a professional is expected.

Good luck.

You just made me and my D feel like a stud team.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
OldHorn wrote:

in real world sessions that I played for 30 years, I never had to play higher than a D. But good sight-reading for a professional is expected.

Good luck.

Pause...

I have had to play above D quite frequently, and I am not a lead player. If you want a job on a cruise ship, or playing in musicals, or playing weddings in a wedding band, you better be able to get beyond a high D, and hit Cs and Ds consistently with a huge sound all night. Do you want to just barely skate by or do you want to be a trumpet player that people look up to? Even if you are a middle school band director, if you can play high notes and get the kids excited it really goes a long way. Not being able to play high goes nowhere. To be honest, the professional music world has no room for somebody who can't get above a high D. There are tons of people that can play with a huge sound above that, and there are very few opportunities.

The good thing is you can improve your range. Don't settle for being a mediocre trumpet player if your real goal is to be a professional, inspiring trumpet player.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a Chemistry degree from a good engineering and science university but studied singing and then ended up in psychology...working with the poor, not the rich. I'm 74 now and looked at my earnings record the other day...I never went over $45K annually with a doctorate degree. At my engineering college 50th reunion, there were lots of guys with boats and second homes...most seemed at least a little more economically comfortable than I am now.

I have two kids and two stepkids...one daughter is a lawyer and the other a Masters in Engineering Management. One stepson is a business major (cost analyst) and the other an IT recruiter. They can all buy and sell me twice over. Their lives will be a lot more comfortable than mine has been.

At one point I went to my singing teacher and told him I wanted to look for an opera career. His response was "do you really want to be waiting tables in NYC looking for your big break?"

If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed in the sciences and done music as a heavy avocation. I'm having a great time singing and playing brass instruments for recreation.

If I were you I'd get a some very honest appraisals of your current playing ability and potential on trumpet. Unless people think you are the next Phil Smith or Maynard Ferguson, I would keep up the STEM education. Maybe there's a good paying technical job that is related to music that is STEM.
If I were you I'd keep my options open, get the STEM degree and, if you want, just maybe take five years and get a double major, STEM and music performance or education. Then you can have it both ways. If your performing takes off, great. If you decide that your job ought to be in a STEM field and your avocation be music, that's fine, too. Sorry to be the pessimistic voice of experience, but there it is.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Get the most out of college Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I'm currently in college as a STEM major. But I'm very involved with trumpet--taking lessons with the professor, in the jazz and wind ensembles, as well as the orchestra. The professor is great, and I'm surrounded by some serious grad school students that are some of the best in the country. I'm really inspired right now and I have a goal of playing trumpet professionally one day.

I'm writing this post because I want to get the most out of my college years. I have all the resources in the world to improve my playing and I want to be "good". How can I be sure I make the most of my time here? How much should I be practicing? How good should I be when I graduate? What advice can you give?

I realize this is broad but trumpet is on my mind and I am always interested in advice. Thanks

That all depends on you! Have a balance. Take so much time as you really need (not over), be the part of this forum (but not too much), have a rest sometimes (but don't get carried away with this vacation too much). Everything should be in balance like athletes. It is not necessery to work 24/7 it might get worst!
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the replies! I should have been more clear: I hope to be a professional and doing gigs on the side, in addition to a stem career field. The idea of doing weekend gigs sounds very appealing to me.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a degree in math and worked as a software developer. I was able to play as much as I wanted with bands, orchestra, and church, both for pay and not for pay. I could not have made a good living from playing alone as I was not that good.

I have a son who plays trumpet and is a young electrical engineer. He is playing in two groups currently (non-paying but very good quality bands) and has turned down other opportunities to play.

A career in music looks glamorous from the outside but can be brutal in reality. There are still opportunities galore for those who like to play for fun and many that do pay, depending upon the area you live in.

-- Joe

Addendum:
You actually ask how to get the most out of college. What I did, while majoring in math, was to volunteer to play in almost every ensemble that I could. I was always available whereas many of the music majors were so busy they couldn't add another rehearsal/performance to their schedule. I got to do a LOT of playing in college and was given a LOT of opportunities to play. I took lessons, too.

Take advantage of everything your school has to offer. Be the one who volunteers to accompany the school chorus or play in the opera pit orchestra. Get into the jazz bands (I wasn't so interested in that field myself). Play, play, play as much as you can -- you will learn a lot that way, too; from other conductors and other students.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a goal of playing trumpet professionally one day.

Do you mean making extra money playing the trumpet, or playing the trumpet as your profession?

Quote:
How can I be sure I make the most of my time here? How much should I be practicing? How good should I be when I graduate? What advice can you give?

What does your professor think of your goal? I know you are looking for insights from others, but make sure you communicate your goal to your professor clearly. He/she is in the best position to help you determine how realistic your goal is and what you can do to increase your likelihood of achieving it.

What are you missing out on as a STEM major vice a music performance major? Are you taking theory, studying arranging/composition, playing a secondary instrument? Those things can help make you a more complete musician.

You are taking lessons and in three ensembles, which is great. What kind of playing do you want to do professionally? Are any of the ensembles helping to prepare you for that? If not, think about how else you can get that experience.

In terms of how good you need to be, look to the premier military bands, orchestras, professional big bands...and see who is getting jobs. That's your "competition" and many of them are landing those gigs while still in school (undergrad or grad -- so they are your peers). Do you measure up to them? If not, figure out what you need to work on and take advantage of your remaining school years to round our your skills.

What is your planned career progression? How are you going to continue to develop your skills as a trumpet player and musician once you graduate from school, particularly if you don't get a job in music right away.

Is there value to getting a second major (in music performance)? That might matter for some jobs. Does your university offer a fifth year program you could use for that purpose?

Network, network, network.

Good luck!
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
You actually ask how to get the most out of college. What I did, while majoring in math, was to volunteer to play in almost every ensemble that I could.

Take advantage of everything your school has to offer. Be the one who volunteers to accompany the school chorus or play in the opera pit orchestra. Get into the jazz bands (I wasn't so interested in that field myself). Play, play, play as much as you can -- you will learn a lot that way, too; from other conductors and other students.

I came here to share this same sentiment. Many will tell you that you will have no more free time to practice than in college. In a similar vein, there is no better time to hone ensemble skills than while you're in college. You can find time to practice after you graduate, but opportunities to play in groups become less frequent, at least for most players.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Croquethed wrote:
OldHorn wrote:

Good luck.

Pause...

I have had to play above D quite frequently, and I am not a lead player. If you want a job on a cruise ship, or playing in musicals, or playing weddings in a wedding band, you better be able to get beyond a high D, and hit Cs and Ds consistently with a huge sound all night. Do you want to just barely skate by or do you want to be a trumpet player that people look up to? Even if you are a middle school band director, if you can play high notes and get the kids excited it really goes a long way. Not being able to play high goes nowhere. To be honest, the professional music world has no room for somebody who can't get above a high D. There are tons of people that can play with a huge sound above that, and there are very few opportunities.

The good thing is you can improve your range. Don't settle for being a mediocre trumpet player if your real goal is to be a professional, inspiring trumpet player.

THIS, I absolutely agree.

Brad
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good and interesting advice here. Let me focus on your User Name for a moment. I grew up in Boston and my family had season tickets at Boston Garden. So...if Celtics #33 is your moniker you know a lot about Larry Bird. He lived, breathed, ate, slept, drank, practiced, practiced, & then out practiced everyone in the game. I'd take that as a parallel to what it would take to be a full-time professional trumpet player today with a comfortable income. Technology is also moving the floor on what is available to trumpet, and all instrumentalists, now-a-days.

I have always loved playing the trumpet and I have been lucky enough to have always found a way to play throughout my life. I'm retired and still playing fun stuff all the time.

Back to #33 L.B. for a sec., he only had one focus in his professional career of physical skill and repetitive performance. Basketball as a profession is entertainment, not a STEM contribution. ...just some thoughts to mull over.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Appreciate the replies! I should have been more clear: I hope to be a professional and doing gigs on the side, in addition to a stem career field. The idea of doing weekend gigs sounds very appealing to me.

You need to be doing gigs now. Real life is out there. Stay in college for your career goals and job getting and security. Playing in the real world is experience that will guide you.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: