• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brass Quartet Christmas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Brass Quartet Christmas Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Does anybody have any recommendations of some brass quartet Christmas books? My quintet is going to be down one member (horn) for our Christmas Eve gig.

I have this collection of non-Christmas tunes which works GREAT, and I like how I can use either two low brass, or one low brass plus horn...very versatile. It would be great if something existed in a similar vein for Christmas.

https://www.cimarronmusic.com/ceremonial-music-for-brass-quartet-7038

Let me know!

Best,
Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course I'm looking on that website, and they have a decent selection of stuff for Christmas as well! Still, curious if there are any other suggestions.
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
romajore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the Christmas selections, but when I had to look for quartet music a few years ago being short a horn player for a performance, brassworks4.com had a decent selection. Many selections can be viewed and purchased as pdf downloads.

Good Luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Christmas; The Joy & Spirit by Sammy Nestico is delightful. Don' know what instrumentation you can use it for, you can look it up, but used it for varying sized ensembles for many years.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough to find good Christmas books these days (what's out there is over-simplified with baselines that are 2-note drones, etc.). I am lucky that we have a set for full orchestra of about 40 carols in 4-part that works for any ensemble and has been in the family for decades - but long out of print. When without those, I have typically just used the Lutheran Service Book - the 4-part harmonizations in that are quite traditional and fun for brass (especially if you stand outside the church like a Salvation Army group!)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Salvation Army, another good set to have on hand is "Carolers Favorites;" published by SA.

There's also these:

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/christmas-music-quartet-brass-sheet-music/20748693

HTH

Ben

[edit] I just remembered that the Rasmussen book is available in letter-sized downloadable PDF from Qpress.ca... b

https://qpress.ca/product/christmas-music-for-four-part-brass-with-piano-organ-rasmussen/

Last edited by benlewis on Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
Speaking of Salvation Army, another good set to have on hand is "Carolers Favorites;" published by SA.

There's also these:

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/christmas-music-quartet-brass-sheet-music/20748693

HTH

Ben

I forgot about those - I've used that book too. My set is in the small format books that fit on a lyre plus a second copy of Trumpet 2 in full size. Those are pretty good.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
'Christmas; The Joy & Spirit by Sammy Nestico is delightful. Don' know what instrumentation you can use it for, you can look it up, but used it for varying sized ensembles for many years.

I loved those in high school. Only complaint being that the pieces are quite short.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Nestico books as well. However, you need to choose the charts carefully. Some will not sound good with just quartet or even quintet without combining or switching parts. I have meant to make a list, but haven't yet. If I recall, it's mostly between the trombone and euphonium books.

HTH

Ben
Ancientram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Christmas Quartets Reply with quote

OK, so the set of books I'll suggest is: 50 Christmas Carols, by Traugott Rohner and John Christie, published in 1968 by the M-F Music Company, P.O. Box 351, Evanston, IL 60204. Yeah, that was a long time ago.

It's not specifically quartet stuff; if you find a complete set, you could use it for full, and I do mean full, orchestra or band. That said, It has two trumpet parts and two bass clef part, also parts I - IV for horn and a tuba part. Thus, you could use it for a horn quartet. The arrangements are all four-part, standard stuff, once thru.

The cover has an artist's color illustration of a stained glass angel holding a fanfare trumpet. I think one of the books has only the line drawing of the angel. The piano/conductor is full size; the part books are horizontal format, probably 8" tall and 10" wide.

I originally spent a couple years tracking down the books for a horn quartet I played in and later, spent several more years off and on tracking down a fuller set. I finally tracked down a pretty complete set from Opus Music Publishers, P.O. Box 8158, Northfield, IL 60093-8158, tel. 224 235 4081, fax 224 235 4182.

I don't see a way to attach photos like in the ads. If you'd like photos of the book to see the contents or help identify what you're looking for should you decide to go on a book safari, pm me and i'll send photos. No, my books ae not for sale, rent, or loan. Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: