• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

guiding younger trumpeters (progress/advice for first years)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fee like the S/C discussion is a little bit of a non sequitur. If someone can share their experience starting a beginner on it, sure, maybe that would be helpful. Remember to word your advice in a way that a 10 year old would find it helpful and understandable

Two other thoughts on the process:
-I think the motivation is part of it. Keeping kids going through some of the fairly tedious early work can be hard.
-I think improving musicality takes time also.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Two other thoughts on the process:
-I think the motivation is part of it. Keeping kids going through some of the fairly tedious early work can be hard.
-I think improving musicality takes time also.

The discussion so far has been aimed at maximizing the end-result, but imho the trick is to get them so motivated that they want to play, and keep going, to the point where it becomes their favorite hobby.

Back when I joined my first orchestra, we used to have a teen percussionist who helped out the youth orchestra. He was always doing magic tricks, making jokes and aking sure the rehersals were fun. He was also the guy that made sure that everyone had something worthwhile to do, and whenever a new kid showed up, they had a tabourine in their hands even before they took their coats off. He was also the guy who dressed up for holidays and special occasions, and handed out treats. He made sure that everyone felt included too.

To this day, he's been an inspiration to me. I joined my orchestra's youth band to help them out, doing my part to make the music sound better, and to coach the younger players, but also to make sure that every week they have a blast and come back for more. It was the reason I started arranging music: rather than play old boring stuff, I made sure they got to play music they wanted to play (Perry the Platypus' theme was a big hit for months). Technique is important, but drilling fundamentals is pointless if they quit because they're not enjoying what they do. That may be a 'European' way of thinking, but unless you're going for a 'new Mozart', giving them a life-long hobby is much more constructive than getting them burnt out on fundamentals.

If I understand correctly, they're your own kids right? Maybe you could start a little 'family band' together. Play together can help them develop their social skills, and doing fun things together as a family. Show them that practicing will enable them to play their favorite songs. Make practice time a fun 'family moment': your kids will grow up far too fast so make the most of the time you spend with them.

tl;dr Motivation is the most important thing in musical development imho. As long as they keep playing, they'll have the opportunity to improve.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really helpful, hibidogrulez. I think as an adult I've been listening to some of the brass podcasts, and it is interesting to hear how:
-Some people just fell in love with trumpet at first sight
-Others came to it from an instrument they didn't like
-Some had a family member that played
-Others started with a great teacher or band director

I am going to try to do a trio with them, possibly as early as the Sunday after Christmas. I'm trying to learn trombone, so one hope is that we could do trumpets + trombone and play duets out of a book (I'd have to work on my bass clef, which is a weak point).

A number of folk raised embouchure questions, and I don't mean to be dismissive of that. I am hoping to get them with another teacher over the summer at the latest. I think for many of us there was a lot we "didn't know we didn't know."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: