• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Groovin' Hard LEAD TRUMPET COVER

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetjordy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Groovin' Hard LEAD TRUMPET COVER Reply with quote

ok let's try another one here and see what you guys think~

Link

happy Wednesday, don't work too hard
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.....! I just adore your timing and "crisp" sound! Not that delighted when it comes to the melody itself, although I can dig the groovy tempo/feeling. Endless yet very rhythmical sax solos not my cup of tea...
Count Bubba and his revenge more of my taste. More "soulish".
But then I´m a somewhat oldfashioned guy - I like songs with a catchy "theme" that stays in your mind after having listened to it.

But this wonderful timing of yours - I know how difficult it is -¨from my own attempts to play along - they orginate from the beginning 1970s when our Swingband was well under way and my take, in order to get the right mindset&way of phrasing was to listen to my vinyl recordings of the oldies; many of our arrangements were originals that I bought from the US, or Brons´Orchestral Services in London. Headphones on, put the record on, lead score such as "Loosers weepers-Finders keepers", "Opus one" in front of me and then! Sock it!
You radiate such a relaxed attitude, playing with seemingly little effort yet with that alert punch!
What´s your equipment?
And -please return.
ps Finding your other stsuff I now know your are playing on a Callet horn however not using a mouthpiece of his; Personally I have an old Superchops 1; ridiculously shallow but weird enough fully playable; however requiring a long running in period - I haven´t got that time...
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan,

What do I think? You sound great. I like the sizzle in your tone. You also look like you are having fun.

I very much enjoy big band music and you play it well.

Thanks for posting.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
trumpetjordy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

You radiate such a relaxed attitude, playing with seemingly little effort yet with that alert punch!
What´s your equipment?
And -please return.
ps Finding your other stsuff I now know your are playing on a Callet horn however not using a mouthpiece of his; Personally I have an old Superchops 1; ridiculously shallow but weird enough fully playable; however requiring a long running in period - I haven´t got that time...

Hey thanks so much Seymor! I like how specific you were about what you enjoy and didn't enjoy, you're like a seasoned wine connoisseur of big-band music ha ha! You are very kind,

I've always wanted to try an old superchops piece. I've bought plenty of other used pieces from the TH marketplace (don't tell my wife..). Most likely it wouldn't have enough cup volume and rim would be too flat but it would be fun none the less:) ...I'm coming over tonight ! Ok maybe not But to answer your question~ I was on my GR 66M-B for this tune. I took the GR Play-Test with Gary a few years ago at his shop in Wisconsin. He fitted me to the 66M which was wonderful. But I couldn't resist and have been dialing it in even more and more ever since. Changing only one small parameter/ variable at a time and such. Dialing it in, dialing it in... I think I could play this tune on an old Bach 3C but man alive I have to be honest- the crisp/ bright tone isn't me so much as the mouthpiece. I guess what I mean is~ I don't think it was my "hard work, practice, and perseverance" etc. that gave me this sound. I do practice diligently at times, but I really have to give the credit to the mouthpieces on this one, it's incredible how good things can get when the shoe fits, and you can call up the shoe maker and ask him to give your big toe a little more wiggle room this time😅 The 66M-B was just such a perfect fit for me that it made my job easy👌It was the correct rim, diameter, alpha-angle, tight throat-exponent, backbore, balanced airflow... the only thing not quite right was the bottom of the cup. But anyway the crazy thing is that- here we are several mouthpieces and one year later and I've actually been able to down-size to the 65 diameter, which is great! But now cup volume (bottom of cup) isn't quite right and the throat isn't quite right for me yet. Still playing, gigging, and teaching a lot but I can't wait to get the throat shape factor figured out again! ...nerd... In short, I never thought I would be a "down-sizer" but employing the closed-setting over time is an incredible thing... I'll stop there because I could keep going forever!
trumpetjordy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Jordan,

What do I think? You sound great. I like the sizzle in your tone. You also look like you are having fun.

I very much enjoy big band music and you play it well.

Thanks for posting.

Warm regards,
Grits

thanks so much Grits! I love to play and thanks for watching!
Josephtriscari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real nice sound/tone!!!
Intonation playing very in tune!!
Great job!!!
Joe Triscari
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: