• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Unity Mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Monette Unity Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Just announced!

https://www.monette.net/unity-mouthpieces
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And only $415 too...
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea...I...DEFINITELY....didn't....order....one...
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a deal!!! I paid FAR less than that for my first Bach trumpet (brand new!!)

Time have changed.
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always promise more of everything but never tell us what actually changed in design other than few grams of weight in the blank. I'd like to see cup overlays and measurements insted of false promises. Don't get me wrong, I like the Monette concept and I've played their mouthpieces for several years in the past but $415 is a lot of money. Standard to prana was a great upgrade but I personally hated the resonance series.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly after thinking about it for a while, I don't think it's that crazy for him to charge $415. At first I was shocked, but these are fancy, innovative gold-plated mouthpieces from a small American business with full-time employees. I appreciate these folks for keeping innovation and jobs in the music instrument industry in this country. I won't be getting one but have nothing but respect for instrument makers selling high-end stuff at a high price.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruotjoh wrote:
They always promise more of everything but never tell us what actually changed in design other than few grams of weight in the blank. I'd like to see cup overlays and measurements insted of false promises. Don't get me wrong, I like the Monette concept and I've played their mouthpieces for several years in the past but $415 is a lot of money. Standard to prana was a great upgrade but I personally hated the resonance series.
Cup overlays and measurements are not part of the Monette marketing strategy. Chef's secret.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$415 is only $50 more than the Prana Resonance series. Monette has full time employees who are paid a living wage and receive medical benefits, and that comes at a price, especially when they’re doing small-scale production 100% in the US. There are plenty of other mouthpiece makers in the world charging $200-300 for stock models with custom work adding to that price. As the expression goes “the quality remains long after the price has been forgotten”. And for the person asking for computer scans of the new pieces, the descriptions posted on their website very clearly outline the differences in the new pieces (new backbores for the older designs, and rim/cup changes for the new pieces like the B6M and MF-IV)
jpwol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course $415 is a LOT of money, but when playing Monette equipment we don't pay just for a mouthpiece or a horn, but for the tons of research behind it...

The concept of Monette mouthpieces is so different than others, that it brings a totally new product on the market; it doesn't mean that it's better than other mouthpieces for everyone, but sure it is something else.

I play Prana mouthpieces on my trumpets, and I ordered a Unity mouthpiece for my C993. For my Bach B trumpet it will wait !
Bach Mt Vernon NY 1 trumpet mouthpiece
Cornet Yamaha Xeno
Cornet Besson Breveté c.1880 w/original mouthpiece
Mahillon natural trumpet (19th century) / Egger MZ1 mouthpiece
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
$415 is only $50 more than the Prana Resonance series. Monette has full time employees who are paid a living wage and receive medical benefits, and that comes at a price, especially when they’re doing small-scale production 100% in the US. There are plenty of other mouthpiece makers in the world charging $200-300 for stock models with custom work adding to that price. As the expression goes “the quality remains long after the price has been forgotten”. And for the person asking for computer scans of the new pieces, the descriptions posted on their website very clearly outline the differences in the new pieces (new backbores for the older designs, and rim/cup changes for the new pieces like the B6M and MF-IV)

The problem is that when you don't give users enough information of the product it is very hard to evaluate if the new mouthpiece is going to work for you or not. Trumpet community is full of gearheads and some general information that most manufacturers offer would be a great guidance. Sure if you live in portland then walk into a shop and try one. But for me example I'll take a $500 gamble to order one in Europe and all I have is Dave's promise that everything is now better. Well that's not always the case. I loved Monette 77 and 81 backbores and would really like to know what has changed.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
$415 is only $50 more than the Prana Resonance series. Monette has full time employees who are paid a living wage and receive medical benefits, and that comes at a price, especially when they’re doing small-scale production 100% in the US. There are plenty of other mouthpiece makers in the world charging $200-300 for stock models with custom work adding to that price. As the expression goes “the quality remains long after the price has been forgotten”.

This.

If Monette can support 100% US manufacturing with a full-time, well-compensated staff by charging prices that the market will bear, God bless 'em!

Although . . . if I take one of my old pre-1955 Conn Precision mouthpieces, polish the rim, scratch finish the rest, and gold-plate the whole thing . . . I'd have the mouthpiece equivalent of one of those mid-70's Chevy Monte Carlo-based Custom Clouds! Maybe I'd even add the letters "sonance" to the "Conn" engraved up the side, to spell "Connsonance".

Last edited by Halflip on Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair it does say "more information coming soon on the development" so hopefully that will go more into what is different.

The only rumor I heard is the blank itself is something more complex.. so to really "get inside" one you might have to cut it up and analyze the metals.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea which piece is equivalent to a B3S3?

I am very excited about this! Been playing my Monette for over 3 years and love it. Its particularly interesting that they say its easier to play for non Monette trumpets.

Its unfortunate that its so difficult to side by side compare Monettes, like a Prana to Unity to classic.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:
What a deal!!! I paid FAR less than that for my first Bach trumpet (brand new!!)

Time have changed.

And what is that $415 worth in 2021 dollars?
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Unity mouthpieces in stock yet?
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Monette Reply with quote

When you consider how much money some of us have spent/lost on our mouthpiece safaris, it's not that big of a deal.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just think of getting some of the uber-magical pixie dust they sprinkle on those $10,000 horns, but for only $415.

Whuttabahgin.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is awesome!

We are so blessed to have so many options as trumpet players. There are SO many wonderful things to choose from which people have spent months and years developing and correcting and perfecting.

Anything new that can help someone fulfill their purpose as a musician is totally worth it, even if it’s expensive.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy have y'all been sucked in by the Monette marketing.

If it's about research and innovation, then there are mouthpieces half the price that actually do that.

"Research" in Monette speak just means that Mr. Monette did what every other mouthpiece maker has done. They cut some different designs, tried them, then passed the ones they liked to some other players to test and kept the favourites.
It's literally what Bach did 100 years ago. It's not innovation. If you want Innovation,. you'd want a mouthpiece where maths and acoustic science is involved, like GR, but they're half the price. No, I don't play one, I'm just saying. If you're looking for Innovation, you'd probably also buy a Wedge, they're actually doing something different there. Again, I don't play one, just saying.

If it was about innovation, they'd make their standard mouthpieces all available in Silver plate and charge appropriately less. They don't because the gold and the shape are branding like Gucci.

If it's about US companies, there are heaps that do also makes their own mouthpieces etc entirely in the US, as do Pickett Brass, GR, Wedge, Curry, Parke, James New etc.

If you want to buy something because it's pretty and is the trumpet version of buying a designed handbag then go for it. But don't pretend that you're doing it because it makes much of a difference to you ability to play the trumpet.

If their design was really that much better than everything else out there, then all of the top tier players would be using them. Almost none of them are. And I highly doubt it's because they haven't tried one.
The day Hakan, Helseth and Antonsen all switch to Monette is the day I'll be convinced that they're anything particularly special. (And yeah, Wynton sounded better on whatever he played beforehand the monette IMO).
There are a handful of players that sound great on a Monette, but they also sound pretty much identical and can play identically well on any other mouthpiece.

To each their own, but at least accept that you're being sucked in by the marketing and bling factor.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Boy have y'all been sucked in by the Monette marketing.

If it's about research and innovation, then there are mouthpieces half the price that actually do that.

I'll definitely be sucked in if I try it and like it better than my existing mouthpiece, or any of the other pieces I'll try then or subsequently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: