• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trombone mouthpiece on trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
There are a number of things he does "wrong" (slapping down the valves for instance - disrupts the embouchure, wavers the pitch, and wears the ____ out of the casings) - but that he is successful in the net performance, that his efforts are enjoyed by his audience, speaks to the inherent diversity in musical tastes.

Listening to a sample of his trombone work (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhpj226ZNY) I find the same tonal concept is present in that as well. It is a recognizable tonal concept and playing style not unique to him. It appeals to some, to others, not so much.

It would be much harder to accomplish a more legit sound with that mouthpiece, and the playing style masks a lot of the potential issues if one were not playing in that style - but within the boundaries of the sound he (and don't forget his audience) goes for, it seems to work.

For someone trying to play in a chamber setting - that mouthpiece would be catastrophic.

Think how boring the world would be though if we didn't have music that ranged from what we want to hear again and again, to what we would rather listen to finger nails on a chalkboard than sit through another moment of.

Thank you for wording it better than I did. Coming from primarily a classical background his sound stood out to me and that is why my original comment.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think how boring the world would be though if we didn't have music that ranged from what we want to hear again and again, to what we would rather listen to finger nails on a chalkboard than sit through another moment of.

Amen! Why my wife and I listen to live music from venues in Chicago to little outposts in the 'burbs and farther. Even if a performer isn't our exact cup of tea, we appreciate the heart and soul that is poured into the songs. And we learn to appreciate some new sounds.
Yamaha 631 Flugel
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it. I liked what he played and his sound. His personality came with the music.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t quite wrap my head around people on here saying negative things about a great player like that. He’s a bone player, and it’s cool that he plays trumpet with his bone size mouthpiece.

I made a bunch of pieces like that a few years ago, threaded tops trumpet depth, bone diameter, mated to trumpet backbores. Looked really odd. So shallow looking. He played them k guess though. I made about 5 for him different depths etc.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: