• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul Mouthpiece Comparator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnbechtel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Kanstul Mouthpiece Comparator Reply with quote

So, I'm going through the Mouthpiece Comparator, and I notice things, like the very minor differences between a Bach 6 and a Bach 3 (no letter on either.)

Then there's this. It looks like a Bach 6 is deeper than a Bach 3B:

But then I think, can these minute differences really make a difference?

I guess lips are very sensitive, and can tell the difference between rims, but on screen, it looks like the differences are so small that they should be imperceptible.

Then I was looking on eBay, and there's a Vincent Bach New York 6 cornet mouthpiece up, and I was interested in trying it because I like the Vincent Bach Corp 6 trumpet mouthpiece that I have, and it looks like the Bach New York 6 is actually a very shallow mouthpiece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334220556512

So I don't know. That's a tangent.

I'm probably going to try a Curry 3TC for a normal sized shank cornet piece, if I can track one down.

Either that or a Bach 3B.

But man!
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the comparator is basically worthless. To say that there is hardly any difference between a 6 and a 3 is saying that you haven't tried them together. I'd pay more attention to the numbering system. They give you an idea of the relative size in each family. The 6 really does have a smaller diameter than the 3, and you will notice if you try them together. I have a NY 6C which is deeper than a corp 6B. You never know the history of those old mouthpieces, and whether or not they had been altered previously.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have found it odd that Bach B (and) C cups with different rim sizes have slightly different cups, that is to say the B cup in a Bach 5B is not necessarily the same as in a Bach 3B. I've tried a variety of Bach B cups for cornet, all 'normal shank,' I believe, and I preferred the tone of the 5B best. The inner diameter was just too small for my liking, though. I suppose I'm not alone, as Austin Custom Brass makes a few mouthpieces that are Bach 5B cups on larger rims like a 1.5 or 1.25, and I mean these are different mouthpieces than their 1.5 B and 1.25 B pieces.

After a bit of bouncing around for my personal Goldilocks B cup cornet mouthpiece - ACB 3B, Bach 1.5 B Megatone - I wound up scoring a used Monette B11 after about a year of searching, which I guess is equivalent to a B cup with an inner rim a bit bigger than a Bach 1 series. The 1.5B Megatone had a broadly similar profile, but too much mass - it was very hard to play with any sort of agility on it. Plus I use a B11 on trumpet a lot, so it's a natural fit.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there some question regarding the accuracy of the Comparator?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just compare the Reeves 43S with the Marcinkiewicz Bob Findley mouthpiece, they look 100% same but believe me they are not.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It looks like a Bach 6 is deeper than a Bach 3B"

Based on the Bach mouthpiece manual, it is. The 3B cup is medium deep and the 6 cup is listed as deep. The difference in diameter between the pieces according the manual is 16.2 mm for the 6 series vs 16.3 mm for the 3 series.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
I think that the comparator is basically worthless. To say that there is hardly any difference between a 6 and a 3 is saying that you haven't tried them together. I'd pay more attention to the numbering system. They give you an idea of the relative size in each family. The 6 really does have a smaller diameter than the 3, and you will notice if you try them together. I have a NY 6C which is deeper than a corp 6B. You never know the history of those old mouthpieces, and whether or not they had been altered previously.

The comparator is "now" next to worthless - it's useful only in comparing the particular pieces that were scanned (regardless of whether they're good examples or not!) and the Kanstul produced reproductions of those specific pieces.

I don't trust Bach's generally - they've changed a lot over time and the manual is next to useless, they're a range of pieces crowbarred into a seemingly logical numbering system that vary radically within a given size or cup depth.

All this is to say that ultimately any mouthpiece is only as good as the players perception and ability to test how good a fit that particular example is - whilst some modern brands are incredibly consistent, historic examples of mainstream pieces can be regarded largely as one of a kind and should be only ever be bought with loose expectations as to what exactly one is buying.

I find all this interesting, of course, but I'd definitely urge caution with regards to both the comparator and any older mouthpiece in equal measure.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Isn't there some question regarding the accuracy of the Comparator?

Yes and no.

Scans are scans and probably very accurate.

But the GIGO principle applies: garbage in = garbage out.

If the piece that's scanned and catalogued isn't representative of the model in question then making any comparisons based on that scan will be flawed.

Very, very few brands are consistent across their entire history, so the potential is high for something somewhere to not match up.

The biggest problem with the comparator is people assume what they're looking at is representative AND that the pieces they have themselves are representative - both of these can be questionable assumptions.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwood66 wrote:
"It looks like a Bach 6 is deeper than a Bach 3B"

Based on the Bach mouthpiece manual, it is. The 3B cup is medium deep and the 6 cup is listed as deep. The difference in diameter between the pieces according the manual is 16.2 mm for the 6 series vs 16.3 mm for the 3 series.

The Bach mouthpiece manual is famously... Useless?

16.2 and 16.3 are both essentially ballpark to a Warburton 6 rim (assuming the same measurement point), but in reality a Bach 3 is nearer to a Warburton 3 or 4 depending on the vintage where a Bach 6 is usually more like Warburton 5 territory - far greater than a 0.1mm difference.

As with most other mouthpieces, don't trust the Bach manual - get in practice, try a few pieces without prejudice and let results be your guide.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:

The comparator is "now" next to worthless - it's useful only in comparing the particular pieces that were scanned (regardless of whether they're good examples or not!) and the Kanstul produced reproductions of those specific pieces.

FWIW: The unofficial comparators floating around have many more scans, and work better on mobile. Here's a comparison of the Bach 3B and 6 on one of the unofficial ones.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
TKSop wrote:

FWIW: The unofficial comparators floating around have many more scans, and work better on mobile. Here's a comparison of the Bach 3B and 6 on one of the unofficial ones.

This doesn't look to have many more scans than I recall of the version I used to use.

My caveats also still apply - the scans are only as good as the example they were scanned from relative to the example the end user has (a far from safe assumption!!) unless we're talking about Kanstul made pieces based on these scans.

To be clear, this isn't a comparative of every Bach 3B against every Bach 6 - it is ONLY a comparison of the two examples scanned, which may or may not be representative examples.

Still, I wasn't aware of this page so thanks for that.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on kind'a the same topic, does anybody know how to compare the late 50s-early 60s Bach 6B compared to today's? Thanks.

Just found out. So, that would be a Mt. Vernon 6B mpc compared to a modern Bach 6B.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two scans in the original post are pretty significantly different from each other. Rims different, and cup shapes quite different.

Those are for sure two mouthpieces that won’t play the same, and about every single player would notice it right off on a blindfold test.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach's measurements are indeed useless. But, their system of describing the depth and width of their models, relative to each other make sense. The 6 will be a little smaller than a 5, and the 7 will be smaller than a 6 and so on. Compare the 3C and a 5C cup, and you will realize that they are not the same. But the 3C will be shallower than a 3B. So the depths are relative to each other within the same family. Nowhere does Bach claim that their rims in the same family are the same, because they are not. Yes Bach has inconsistencies, and I have seen major screw ups. Maybe less now that they use CNC lathes. As far as comparing Bach to other brands, that is something you need to learn on your own. If you want to trust the comparator, go ahead. Better to trust your own chops when trying to compare diameters.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moral here is a very small difference in measurement makes a very big difference in how they play. Those comparator scans are accurate. Design a couple mouthpieces and you will start to see big differences between those two scans.

Re: Bach, the sizes are not even ordered by the numbers. A modern 7C is bigger than a 1 1/2C in all dimensions except the cup right by the lip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: