• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

$4k+- to spend. Give me suggestions.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: $4k+- to spend. Give me suggestions. Reply with quote

Looking for a new horn to change things up a bit.

I'd like something in a brushed brass finish with a sound that slightly favors towards the darker side. Nothing too heavy though.

I currently play on an Austin Winds 460. While I love how it plays, I know there is better out there.
I'm a big fan of the how the newer Austin Winds Stage 466 plays and sounds, but before I pull the trigger on that horn I'd like to know what else I should take a look at.

I've tried the Austin Winds Balanced Ballad 1 which is beautiful but too heavy for the type of playing I do. I've also tried a Taylor Piranha but that horn was a bit brighter than I was expecting.

These horns have caught my interest:
Adams A4
Adams A8
AR Resonance models
Lotus Universal and Universal Max

What other brands would suggest for me to look into?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard and read, you owe it to yourself to try an Edwards X-13. It is definitely "not too heavy", and it looks like you can get it in a satin lacquer finish. In terms of tone, it's supposed to be remarkably flexible and responsive.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What else have you played?
2. Where do you plan to use it? (type of music, etc.)
3. What shops, etc., do you have nearby?
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
From what I've heard and read, you owe it to yourself to try an Edwards X-13. It is definitely "not too heavy", and it looks like you can get it in a satin lacquer finish. In terms of tone, it's supposed to be remarkably flexible and responsive.

Thank you, I'll add it to my list and check them out!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
1. What else have you played?
2. Where do you plan to use it? (type of music, etc.)
3. What shops, etc., do you have nearby?

1. Strad 43, NY Strad #7, AW 470, AW 460, AW 466, AW Balanced Ballad 1, Concept TT, Taylor Piranha...those are the recent ones I can think of.

2. Mariachi primarily, salsa secondary, solo/classical as hobby.

3. You mean music stores or actual trumpet shops? I'm in Austin, TX hence why I've tried so many Austin Winds horns. I'm not sure if there are other trumpet shops in my area to be honest.

I'm really wanting something that can be darker in the mid range but can still project without too much effort. I like slightly tighter playing horns where notes slot very easily, but not so much resistance that it'll give me a head rush when I try to open it up.

My daily playing involves playing outside for a funeral, to playing inside a living room for a birthday party, to playing background music at a wedding, to playing loud and festive music at a reception with lots of crowd noise. I'm usually playing trumpet alone, or on occasion with one other trumpet player.

So I really want a horn that'll play like a solo horn when it's in an environment with good acoustics, but also can open up and project without a ton of effort whenever I'm outdoors or playing to a noisy crowd.

My current horn (AW Stage 460) does all of this pretty well, but I'm at the point where I have some money to spend and I'd like to treat myself to a new horn that's a step above what I already have.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the best thing you could do is visit a shop with a lot of horns -- J. Landress, Thompson Music, Dillon Music, ACB. etc. -- and try as many horns as you can get your hands on.

The Edwards X-13 is a fantastic horn. Well worth checking out. Also consider adding the Van Laar OIRAM models to your list.

Have fun on your search!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I'd say that the best thing you could do is visit a shop with a lot of horns -- J. Landress, Thompson Music, Dillon Music, ACB. etc. -- and try as many horns as you can get your hands on.

The Edwards X-13 is a fantastic horn. Well worth checking out. Also consider adding the Van Laar OIRAM models to your list.

Have fun on your search!

Great idea. Now that I think of it, TMEA is coming up in Feb and there are usually a lot of trumpet vendors that attend. I'm not sure how the turnout has been since the pandemic, but that might be a great opportunity to get my hands on a large variety of horns all in one place.

Can't believe I hadn't thought of that already. Thanks!
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mentioned the Adams A4 and A8, I would suggest the Adams Coppernicus as well, which is sold exclusively by Austin Custom Brass. Very much on the darker side of the spectrum. Also anything with a 72 bell or similr - Bach 72, the Thane Performance Trumpet, there are a few Getzens with a similar bell design, etc.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you own a flugelhorn?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the flugelhorn. Or a rotary, cornet, or bass trumpet.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d add Hub van Laar, Thane, Schilke Handcraft, and Scodwell to the mix.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends just got a Coppernicus from Trent and really likes it. I'm salivating at the chance to try it out.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Do you own a flugelhorn?

I do not, but flugelhorns are typically not used in mariachi except in a few recordings.

It would be great if I could keep a flugelhorn with me for the times when I want that dark sound…but it’s just no possible to have 2 horns with me during a mariachi gig.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely add Eclipse to the list.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Do you own a flugelhorn?

I do not, but flugelhorns are typically not used in mariachi except in a few recordings. It would be great if I could keep a flugelhorn with me for the times when I want that dark sound…but it’s just no possible to have 2 horns with me during a mariachi gig.

Mariachi is exactly why I asked about flugelhorn. If the bulk of your work is Mariachi, and authentic Mariachi at that, I question your seeking a Goldilocks horn that will allow you that yet playing darkish. It seems to me you really need a Mariachi-specific horn and for darker work another horn, perhaps a flugelhorn. You an regulate the flugelhorn's relative darkness with mouthpieces.

If it were me, I'd get a Conn Connstellation, Yamaha Mariachi or Bach Mariachi. If you can find one, perhaps an Olds Mendez model, and then a flugelhorn. With both of these you should have all your bases covered.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
blownchops

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Do you own a flugelhorn?

I do not, but flugelhorns are typically not used in mariachi except in a few recordings.

It would be great if I could keep a flugelhorn with me for the times when I want that dark sound…but it’s just no possible to have 2 horns with me during a mariachi gig.

If you're looking for mariachi style, a bach mariachi model ( LR19043B) or the commercial model might be a good place to look. You can get a great Burbank Benge in that range for around 2,000 that would fit that style well.

The Yamaha Vizzuti (used) or L.A. models might be a good place to look at as well.

Finally, you should definitely take a look at schilkie horns, B1, B5, X3, ect. They are known to be top tier horns.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Do you own a flugelhorn?

I do not, but flugelhorns are typically not used in mariachi except in a few recordings. It would be great if I could keep a flugelhorn with me for the times when I want that dark sound…but it’s just no possible to have 2 horns with me during a mariachi gig.

Mariachi is exactly why I asked about flugelhorn. If the bulk of your work is Mariachi, and authentic Mariachi at that, I question your seeking a Goldilocks horn that will allow you that yet playing darkish. It seems to me you really need a Mariachi-specific horn and for darker work another horn, perhaps a flugelhorn. You an regulate the flugelhorn's relative darkness with mouthpieces.

If it were me, I'd get a Conn Connstellation, Yamaha Mariachi or Bach Mariachi. If you can find one, perhaps an Olds Mendez model, and then a flugelhorn. With both of these you should have all your bases covered.

I’m sorry, I guess I should clarify. 99% of my playing is mariachi, but I do not need a dedicated mariachi horn. I have a Bach 43 and my AW 460 that both work great for mariachi. What I’m in the market for is a slightly darker, higher end instrument that wouldn’t be too out of place for mariachi.

I have a Balanced Ballad 1 for the weekend and have found after a few hours of gigs that it’s way too heavy to hold and the slotting is a little looser than I prefer. The sound also doesn’t cut/project as much as I’d like. But I love everything else about the horn. It’s very different from what I already own, but maybe a little too different than what I’m looking for.

I don’t want to spend $4k on a horn similar to what I have, but I also don’t want something that’s so custom that it’s basically a special purpose horn.

I hope that makes sense. It’s hard to describe exactly what I’m looking to purchase. I’m sure once I find it I’ll know that I’ve found the right horn.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a well-known horn or link to a performance that projects the kind of sound you're looking for that we can use as a source reference?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone suggested the Edwards X-13. Lightweight, extremely versatile, dark to bright, and looks cool, too. I like it.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:

Have fun on your search!

Word for word what I would have said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: