• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Modern equivalent to a Bach Mercedes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peck Time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Modern equivalent to a Bach Mercedes? Reply with quote

I just picked up a 1970s Bach Mercedes Trumpet. Serial number in the low 80,000 range.

It has a two piece bell, two piece valve-casings, and a single brace on the lead pipe.

It really sounds great too.

What would be the closest modern equivalent?

Thanks.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the Elkhart Mercedes, but the Mt Vernon Mercedes had a medium bore, #7 leadpipe, and #38 bell. You can still get the 38 bell from some parts suppliers (not sure if Bach sells them anymore). B&S made a bach 38 copy at one point in time for Malcolm McNab. I think you can still find them on the secondary market, but it might take some patience.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varied a lot back then. There were some Mercedes and Mercedes II (and Selmer Signet Soloist models) that had what appeared to be Strad valvesets (all ML 0.459" bore, in all my experience) and a few that looked like glorified Bundys. The ones that looked like Strads sounded 0retty much like really light Strads, with perhaps a tighter blow. Even some that looked like Bundys had solid nickel valves and played pretty well.

I have a Mercedes II trumpet and cornet serial #'s 500K and 600K, that look like Bundys, but with gold brass bells to fix up for grandkids. They do not play very much like Strads, but sound very good, very solid dark tone, and are built more like tanks than the Bundys I have worked with.

I would not worry about the 2 piece bell. Many great horns, even Monettes, are 2 piece bells. I am not sure what the current equivalent to the old Mercedes is, but the TR200 and some of the Omegas are about the same as the Mercedes, with 2 piece Strad bells (I have heard they use the 43 mandel) and a 7 equivalent lead pipe.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a tr200. They're really nice trumpets, but expensive enough you might as well just buy a strad. I had a 25 year old one and really liked it. Also a two piece bell and somewhat heavy/solid feeling in the hand.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach Omega would most likely be it or the omega stradivarius
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be helpful if you could play your Mercedes against a stock 37bell 25 leadpipe Strad.

If they feel about the same then any Bach clone might work.

If you find that the Mercedes sounds darker and or seems to have less front end resistance you probably have the 38 bell with the #7 leadpipe.

If that's the case - no - I'm not aware of a current stock semi-pro trumpet that has similar specs. You would need a special order Strad.

You could order a #7 leadpipe on demo and try it with a standard Bach Strad with #37 bell. If that's close enough, than a #7 leadpipe transplant on a Getzen Capri or 700 might get you an affordable substitute.

The Mt. Vernon Mercedes was my first "real" trumpet. It served me well. For years I wondered why I did not like the professional model Strad. Then found out it was mainly the #25 leadpipe I didn't care for.

Oh - If you do have a 38/7 Mercedes - you might like the 18077 - 7 bell and 7 leadpipe. Not the same but I thought it to be a nice playing Bach.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Mercedes horns differed from the Stradivarius line due to absence of nickel slides, that cost far more to purchase and machine. A raw brass Mercedes and a raw brass Strad clearly display Bach's strategic use of nickel on the Strad.

Bach's training as mechanical engineer in Austria taught him all about the properties of different metals/alloys and allowed him to do only 1/ 4 of the normal mandatory military service requirement demanded of Austrian men. When WW1 started, Bach was performing in Britain and got arrested as an enemy combatant due to his Austrian citizenship; Bach fled from Britain to the United States by using false identity papers to purchase a one-way ticket aboard the Lusitania—what a great story! To further his knowledge of metallurgy, Bach melted down one of his favorite cornets to determine its metallic composition. Bach knew that nickel's brittle and hard nature conducts sound faster than brass: 2960m/s for Nickel versus 2120m/s for typical yellow naval brass (gold, red, vs pure copper variants of brass within 100m/s of naval brass).

So, Bach's strategic use of the far more expensive and hard-to-machine metal nickel on the Strad had everything to do with the horn's responsiveness versus an all-brass trumpet.

Hence, with respect to all the nickel Vincent Bach used to make the Strad special, I would say that the closest horns to the original full-brass Mercedes horns are actually 180LT and 180LR Strads that have full brass tubing and lack the Strad's nickel slides.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading on here that some Mercedes were produced from leftover strad parts. My memory could be bad, or, if I am correctly remembering, the poster could be wrong.

As to the Mercedes II, I owned one back around 1972. It was a real dog. It could not be tuned and different fingerings were off by different amounts. This was confirmed by multiple players trying it out.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I seem to remember reading on here that some Mercedes were produced from leftover strad parts. My memory could be bad, or, if I am correctly remembering, the poster could be wrong.

As to the Mercedes II, I owned one back around 1972. It was a real dog. It could not be tuned and different fingerings were off by different amounts. This was confirmed by multiple players trying it out.

The Mercedes II's appear to be some variation to the Bundy trumpets. The Mt. Vernons were pretty nice. We're trying to figure out if the early 70's regular Mercedes has the same specifications - 38 bell and 7 leadpipe. They look the same except for the adjustable 3rd finger ring - on a reversed 3rd slide.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

yes and no. Bach dabbled with a few "less expensive" versions of his popular Stradivarius line with the Apollo, Mercedes, and Mercury lines. By the late NY and Mt Vernon period, the Mercedes was more-or-less one step below the Stradivarius. It used a valve block made by Bach, brass slides, a medium bore, and had one less brace on the 3rd slide, making it a lightweight instrument. I believe the Mercedes was marketed towards jazz and big band players, since the lightweight and smaller bore would make it easier to play on long gigs, plus give the player a little extra cut to their sound. It is technically "Strads parts" since everything was made by Bach and resembles the Stradivarius line, but the parts would not swap 1:1 with a Stradivarius of that time period due to the changes listed above.
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach VBS 1S or TR200
Peck Time

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s some photos of my Mercedes.

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

yes and no. Bach dabbled with a few "less expensive" versions of his popular Stradivarius line with the Apollo, Mercedes, and Mercury lines. By the late NY and Mt Vernon period, the Mercedes was more-or-less one step below the Stradivarius. It used a valve block made by Bach, brass slides, a medium bore, and had one less brace on the 3rd slide, making it a lightweight instrument. I believe the Mercedes was marketed towards jazz and big band players, since the lightweight and smaller bore would make it easier to play on long gigs, plus give the player a little extra cut to their sound. It is technically "Strads parts" since everything was made by Bach and resembles the Stradivarius line, but the parts would not swap 1:1 with a Stradivarius of that time period due to the changes listed above.

Ahhhh. Found it.
StevenPSparks wrote:
Hey Patrick,
I inquired of my good friend Roy Hempley (aka Selmer Bachologist) about Mercedes horns, and the following was his reply:

"By now I've reviewed all of the shop cards on Bach's Mercedes trumpets. I don't have the data aggregated yet, so about all I can do is give you some general ideas.
For most of his manufacturing career, Bach's Mercedes were his
middle-of-the-road instruments. Early on, the Mercedes line was a
place to use Stradivarius parts that didn't quite measure up to Stradivarius standards. For example, a blemished bell intended for a Stradivarius trumpet might end up on a Mercedes trumpet. When he changed components, say from the #6 bell to the #7 bell, the leftover #6 bells might be used on Mercedes trumpets. The same was true of mouthpipes. Eventually, the Mercedes came to have special components of their own. Bach used the one-piece #38 bell on his Stradivarius trumpets, but he used a two-piece version on his Mercedes trumpets. So you run into lots of Mercedes with
that bell. At Mt Vernon, he introduced a special bore size for the
Mercedes of 0.456 inches. At one point in a correspondence he called them "Strads in disguise". If you were lucky enough, you could get a Mercedes with all Stradivarius components at a reduced cost. The adornments were always plainer on the Mercedes trumpets. He didn't use as much nickel trim, and certain options were not offered. This was to hold down production costs.
As far as I know, however, all of the Mercedes used Bach-made two-piece valve casings indistinguishable from Stradivarius valve casings.
Still, the Mercedes were fine trumpets, and they remain a bargain today.
Hope this helps some. I'm continuing to gather data on the
Mercedes.
Maybe in the future I can get a clear handle on exactly when Bach
production concepts were changed. As of now, all anyone can do is look up the configuration of the individual instrument to see how it was made."

That sould clear things up a little bit, eh? If anyone has never read his writings on the Selmer Bach History site, it's well worth the time.
ps: I sure do love my Mt Vernon Mercury!

Edit: This is the thread the quote is from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: