• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ACB Doubler Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: ACB Doubler Cornet Reply with quote

Thinking about dipping my toe in brass band pool. I am seriously considering purchasing the large bore dual trigger ACB Doubler cornet. I have seen the videos of Trent playing them and looked at the reviews that area available. Before I jump in a plane/car and make the trip to KC, is anyone currently playing one of these or the other similar ACB models on a regular basis? What are your are your thoughts?

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Jimi Michiel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the ACB Doubler's Cornet, but I recently purchased an ACB Doubler's Flugel and couldn't be happier with it. It's got a nice sound, plays in tune, and is pretty fun to play. It is not the most interesting instrument I have ever played, but for what I use it for (occasional jazz or theatre work), it's an incredible value that I would recommend to pretty much anyone.

Last edited by Jimi Michiel on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here on the ACB Doubler.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you marry the ACB Doubler, if you are going to KC, check out their Cornet "bargain bin" e.g.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q2hKEft2ao&ab_channel=TrentAustin

If you are splashing out on a trip, you should also try their Manchester Brass offering--Carol-made horns to ACB specs.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an eye on the bargain bin and if the right instrument is available I may go in that direction. I zeroed in on ACB Doubler because it looks like the best bang for the buck in that price range. I am trying to stay patient.

I have a 50s Reynolds Professional (similar to King Master) that plays well and can be used to practice. I also just purchased a Curry 5BBB to so I cans start working on my endurance.

George/Jimi - I do have an eye on the ACB Doubler Flugel. There are enough threads and reviews/comments out there that when I am ready, I will just pull the trigger. I have a 70s Blessing Artist that is Ok for now.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soprano cornet player in my brass band, Austin Brass Band, recently sent out a note to the band recommending the ACB Doubler cornet. He said it was the Bb cornet that he has and that he felt it was fantastic for the price.
walldaja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very early ACB cornet that I got from Trent. It's truly an amazing horn. I played this in a Brass Band to include an international competition. Several members of our cornet section tried it and it compared well with their Yamahas. I wouldn't hesitate to get one from Trent.

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play cornets quite regularly and have a large collection. I do play in a brass band, but Eb Soprano (Schilke Eb cornet with thumb hook and finger ring) for the last 6 or so years, and we are not traditional, and the other guys most all use trumpets.

Anyway, for my 2 cents, I find the tradition dual paddle style trigger setup totally ungainly!!

I do have very large hands, and I have trouble finding a stable and efficient way to hang on and use those appurtenances. It seems that my sausage like appendages are mashed around every component with little room to activate the triggers. I even had to modify the 3rd trigger on my Olds Recording to extend the ring further from the valveset. But that is not a recommendation for Recording for BBB.

I very much prefer my Getzen 800 Eterna cornet to any of the standard BBB models in tone, ergonomics, and intonation.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two ACB horns, a 2RL that I mainly use, and a small-bore pocket trumpet I travel with (which is primarily motorcycle trips). They are both very good. I'm sure the cornets they offer are, too. I do have a cornet I use to practice in the car with, but it's a Thomann CR4. If I had more time with the ACB horns before I bought the Thomann, I probably would have got one of the the ACB cornets. The Thomann works well enough I can't justify switching now, though. Maybe later.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I got what I think is a good deal on a King Legend 2220. The price was similar to the ACB Doubler.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
deandesi1@comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried lots of cornets.. various makes and vintages. I just picked up a new ACB Doubler cornet. So far, I love it. It's easy to play, stays in tune, construction is sound., dual triggers, all for $475 delivered. No.more problems getting burned on ebay.com.
1978 Getzen Eterna
George RawlinFlugelhorn
2020 Austin custom brass doubler cornet

1939 Pan American Cornet.
1917 JW York B-flat/A trumpet
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and it's a very easy playing instrument. The only critique I have is I think the bell is a little thin as the cornet wants to sparkle and brighten a bit too much as you play louder. In a traditional British Brass Band context, you might find it can get too bright/zingy which your director might not like, as they tend to want things to stay as dark as possible all the way to fortissimo, just with more sound.
I think if the bell gauge was thicker or possibly it was red brass or something it would be a pretty unbeatable horn. It'd be an amazing cornet for Jazz and orchestral cornet. It's just the real trad brass band context I think it might poke through too much at louder dynamics.
Or it's just me, which is also a real possibility
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACB doubler cornet is very similar to YCR-2330III (same wrap, bracing and bore).

YCR-2330III:

ACB doubler cornet:
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI There are two doublers, one is a large bore and has triggers
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
Just FYI There are two doublers, one is a large bore and has triggers

The large bore with triggers, compared with Yamaha's YCR-8335 has the same wrap, bracing, spit valves, mouthpiece receiver and trigger layout. Bore appears to differ by 0.001" (0.468" vs 0.469").

The original YCR-8335 in lacquer sells at WWBW for $3,509. This one, at Austin Custom Brass, for $504.

I wonder whether Yamaha has considered a lawsuit for copying and distributing its designs. Past case law indicates that "evidence of copying may be used to rebut an obviousness challenge, even if that evidence does not relate to the copying of a specific product".

https://www.mintz.com/insights-center/viewpoints/2231/2019-11-copy-cats-evidence-copying-specific-product-not-required
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: