• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Titanium bells/leadpipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Titanium bells/leadpipes Reply with quote

There have been 1 or 2 threads on this with minimal information, so I’m wondering if anyone has tried some of these niche models in the interim.
Warburton has their titanium bell Bb ‘on sale,’ but the price is still fairly high. I also spotted this P. Mauriat Bb that purportedly has a titanium bell and leadpipe. Does anyone here know anything about this model? I wonder if it’s actually just coated with titanium nitride. Their website seems to indicate it’s a titanium-copper-brass blend, but that seems highly suspect as they’re very different metals…

https://warburton-usa.com/collections/instrumets/products/warburton-33tm-bb-trumpet-demo-model-sn-213

http://www.pmauriatmusic.com/en/products/item/10-professional-bb/113-pmt-75-trumpet
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the Mauriat 75 and have several of their first gen instruments. I liked the blow on it and almost bought one on ebay a year ago. I like the larger rings and bell on their older model better and in the end decided I have too many trumpets. I talked to them in person about the 75 and while it is in theory a modular instrument, you have to order the desired bell/s or leadpipe/s during your initial purchase. I think the metal blend is proprietary and they are not the OEM.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Would love to hear from anyone else with direct experience. Is Mark Zauss still playing the Warburton titanium model? He’s had a wicked scream register for his whole career, so it’s obviously not the horn. I’d just like to know more about these unique animals…
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how these are made, seeing as you need some specialty setups to join titanium.
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
I'm curious how these are made, seeing as you need some specialty setups to join titanium.

I am pretty sure it is not real titanium but another allow they are marketing as titanium. Years ago I had the bright idea to make titanium trombone slides only to find that you cannot soft solder titanium. You can weld it, but there is no way that they are getting the Z braces soft soldered on real titanium.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mauriat is a titanium-copper alloy, similar to Schilke's Beryllium Copper, it's a copper alloy with trace amounts of titanium for added strength. I thought the original Warburton Ti horn was a titanium coated brass bell, but the one pictured on their website looks more like a copper alloy than titanium coated brass.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input so far! I have always had a fascination with titanium because of its use in Russian submarines and exotic bicycle frames. I’ve had two titanium frame bikes, still have one of them, and and I love(d) them both. Thus, seeing titanium for a trumpet bell or leadpipe seems particularly interesting, more academically in this case, but I will admit I have been considering giving that Warburton a whirl…
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
Thanks for all the input so far! I have always had a fascination with titanium because of its use in Russian submarines and exotic bicycle frames. I’ve had two titanium frame bikes, still have one of them, and and I love(d) them both. Thus, seeing titanium for a trumpet bell or leadpipe seems particularly interesting, more academically in this case, but I will admit I have been considering giving that Warburton a whirl…

Don’t forget the SR-71 Blackbird was 85% titanium.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
bike&ed wrote:

Don’t forget the SR-71 Blackbird was 85% titanium.

Nice, I had completely forgotten about this, even though the SR-71 is one of my favorite aircraft (probably the same for most military plane fans I suppose). Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: