• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

yamaha band instruments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bent tubing
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: yamaha band instruments Reply with quote

hello eveyone! i know that the old ameican made band instruments are supposed to be good quality but what about yamaha. are they as good as the older vintage americab made band instruments? yamaha i hear is supposed to be improving all the time but are they really as good as the good old fashioned american made instruments? notice i didn"t say anything about China.thanks for all your input.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very generic question. Which American instruments and which Yamahas?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current (and recent, last 30 years?) production Yamaha instruments have a good reputation for being well-made.

Some of the early models are reported to have problems with the quality of the brass that was used.

There might be some 'general guidance' about the differences between the trumpets with 3-digit and 4-digit model numbers. Others people will likely provide more info and corrections ...

I am satisfied with the quality of my Yamaha instrument.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t remember the details but a few years back many of the top Drum and Bugle Corps used Yamaha instruments.

My son was in Santa Clara Vanguard and I believe they use Yamaha. Blue Devils might also.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha has been top of the line quality for the last 20 years.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go back to Nippon Gakki, Yamaha's predecessor. I was in Japan for the "roll-out" of its first wind instrument, a trumpet. Additionally, I studied at the Yamaha School of Music in Tokyo.

As I recall, the trumpet, which had a lot of input from Schilke, was a decent mid-level instrument. I don't recall many Japanese using Yamaha trumpets unless they were students or amateurs. Everyone I knew who could, used American or European trumpets. Same with saxes. If you could afford them, Selmers were the sax make of choice.

I have seen the quality and acceptance of Yamaha trumpets and saxes gradually take eminence worldwide. Matter of fact, I played Yamaha saxes for a while, professionally.

Regarding American instruments, I don't think there was a "Golden Age", just good horns to bad. Some classic horns are great, some contemporary horns mediocre.

Nowadays, it's just what you're looking for in a horn. That's one reason I refer back to my original post. More details, please.

BTW, full disclosure, I am a Certified Yamaha Wind Instrument Teacher but have "no dog in this fight".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bent tubing
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: yamahavband instruments Reply with quote

O.P. I guess it all boils down to personal preferences by that i mean what you are looking fot in the instrument and not so much the brand name. if it sounds good it is good. is that correct?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instrument manufacturers each have things they are known for. Some are periodic, some reflect former strengths and weaknesses, some have a consistent reputation.

My personal take from personal experience and what I have read on here. This is not exhaustive by any means and I could have some wrong.

Yamaha:
Attention to quality control. Consistent from instrument to instrument. Not sure if the student lines are as QC focused.
If used there was a period where the metal alloy used on the pistons was problematic. Look up yamalloy if you want to know more.
Bach:
Very popular and you probably won't have any issues using one on a gig.
Has a reputation for lack of consistency. One respected builder and retailer thought this was a plus for him as a retailer, but most people say "you need to try a few before you find a good one". This might have gotten better since Tedd Waggoner joined.
Schilke:
I hardly ever hear anything negative. However, they are discussed less on here than other brands.
Getzen:
Good quality. Good instruments. The Getzen Severinsen is legendary.
The managing Getzen brothers, Brett and Adam, are ethical stand up guys and contributors on here.
Carol Brass:
Has earned a good reputation over the years as their ability and QC have improved.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 cents, as a former long time band director, and former music retail employee that spend a fair amount of time in the repair shop talking to techs and also play testing current student instruments (and others as well).

The best student line instruments that I've found that are currently made are by Getzen. Kanstul used to make solid ones as well, but they are no longer here. Getzens are made in Wisconsin, but that's not why they are good, they're good because they have decided to make them to a high standard.

Yamaha makes very solid student instruments. To keep their price point at whatever they've decided to keep it at, they no longer make many of their instruments in Japan, but elsewhere in Asia. However, the QC on them is still pretty high. Their current student model trumpets don't play as well as their older ones from Japan (but still pretty well), and aren't quite as well made, but are still good, and maybe a bit more sturdy than the older ones.

The current US produced Conn-Selmer-Bach student model horns are solid. I've sometimes heard that the parts aren't made in the US anymore, but I don't know if that's the case or not. Either way, the TR300 and the Eastlake produced King 601 are fairly solid. I actually think Asian made Yamahas might have a bit better fit and finish, but the Bach and King are solid, durable instruments that play pretty well.

The student Jupiters I've seen are decently made, actually play pretty well (I like how they play better than the Bach TR300). I'm not sure if they're as solidly built.

Many of the non US made Conn Selmer student trumpets are pretty suspect. They don't have Yamaha levels of QC.

Everything I've heard about the Austin Custom Brass sold Asian built affordable trumpets is positive. As Yamaha and ACB seem to show, that it's possible to get good products from places, you just have to constantly work at it and hold places to a high standard.

I won't get into the other "brands" but they're often below the non-US Conn Selmer horns, if not borderline expensive wall ornaments.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing Yamaha in 1975. Their quality and capability was about as good as it gets for each of the tiers back then while American firms were pretty much at their low point outside of a few pro options like Bach Strads, Schilkes, etc.

The American firms that survive have improved from the sad state of affairs in the 70s and 80s, and the pro level US makers are perhaps doing their best work ever. But so is Yamaha at the top tiers.

Student, intermediate, advanced and artist level, you can't go wrong with Yamaha. There are not many others one can say that about, and no others across that entire range (though CarolBrass is almost there).

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me but this looks like a question that might have been posed decades ago. Yamaha is not new on the scene. They are a major player and have been for many years now. I have rarely heard complaints about Yamaha quality.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
bent tubing
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for everyones input! i now have a better opinion of yamaha all together
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: