• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rockford (AKA Bill Siegfried) passed on recently.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Siegfried

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Rockford (AKA Bill Siegfried) passed on recently. Reply with quote

Good evening, my name is Robert Siegfried. My dad was Bill Siegfried, or as some of you knew him, "Rockford". He passed on a couple months ago after a long battle with stage 4 esophageal cancer. I remembered recently how much time he spent on this site, and how many friends he made here, and figured I'd let everyone know in case some of you who knew him had not heard through other channels. He really enjoyed this site, especially this section, and loved learning about rare horns and spreading his own knowledge on the subject.

On the subject of Esophageal cancer, I've noticed a not-insignificant number of brass players getting this otherwise fairly uncommon form of cancer. My dad's theory was that it could be related to valve oil, but there's no way to know for sure. I switched to bio oil after he was diagnosed, I'm sure there's other options out there as well, but I don't follow the trumpet industry as closely as my dad did and can't make any recommendations.

As far as his trumpets, books, and other items go, I am keeping them for the moment, and there are not currently any plans to sell any of it, if that changes I'll let you all know. Thank you all for the good times he had here, and have a nice night.

-Robert Siegfried
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no!! I am so sorry to hear this. Your father was a wealth of information for us trumpet enthusiasts, especially about Bach instruments. Seems like many times that I would post something only to hope that Bill aka Rockford would see the thread and chime in to supply the missing or correct information.

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family. We will sorely miss him here.

-- Joe
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please accept my sincere condolences. Bill was certainly a wealth of knowledge and always seemed to stay out of the weeds when posting.

He will be missed.

Re cancer and petroleum products. I just did a quick search and there does appear to be a link. Now I am flashing back to my younger days when valve oils gave off copious amounts of fumes.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sad to learn of his passing. My condolences to you and your family.
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill played in a big band called Swing Shift in northern Virginia. I sat next to him. He was a wonderful guy, an excellent player, and knew more about Bach trumpets than anyone I've ever met.
All of us in the band felt the loss deeply.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to you, Robert, and family. Rockford was an authority on Bach history especially, and it was always interesting to read his posts.
Regards,
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never met your dad in person but what a class act he was! Knowledgeable, helpful, practical, funny, and someone the made TH a good place. May you have many great memories to sustain you.
Phattlippz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford (AKA Bill Siegfried) passed on recently. Reply with quote

Very sad to hear. My deepest condolences to you and your family.
1952 Martin Committee #2
1941 Martin Handcraft Committee #2
1964 The Martin Committee Deluxe L
1937 Martin Imperial Handcraft
2019 Bach Stradivarius 72 MLV
1937 King Master Cornet
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Bill didn't chime in a few weeks ago regarding that non-Bach bugle that sold for so much on EBay, I feared this was the case. He was always there with the in-depth knowledge to fill in the blanks and help people understand not just the history, but the reasoning behind the details surrounding Bach and other horns.

Some days it feels like we are losing all the experts - Bill was certainly one. His absence as a resource will be felt, but more than that I will miss his passion and his enthusiasm for helping others.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Robert Siegfried

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and fond memories.

One thing which has come to my attention via PMs is that there's interest in the database of Bach shop cards which my dad had unique access to. I live in a different part of the country, but next time I am at his house I will bring home one of the copies of the shop card database and figure out a way to make that information accessible again. I don't know what the file size is yet. If the total file size is small enough I'll try to set up something like a dropbox where anyone with the link can look through it themselves for their desired card, if the file size is too large to freely store online I'll find some other way to make that information accessible, such as passing on physical hard drives to specific people willing to continue locating shop cards for interested individuals, like how my dad used the database. I'll make a new thread when I know what I'm going to do on that subject. Rest assured, I'm aware how important that information was to a lot of collectors, and will make it accessible in some capacity once again in the near future.
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be more than glad to host the file on BachLoyalist.com/server, if you do not find a good solution.

https://www.bachloyalist.com

We have more than 150K + page views on BachLoyalist each year, and fellow loyalists looking for shop cards each week.

Thanks for potential sharing. I had also sent you a message here on TH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: