• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Musings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Musings Reply with quote

I really have no question, just thinking out loud. Perhaps it might give someone food for thought.

As I've stated before, I've just never gotten along with Bachs. That was based on trying friends' Bachs back in music school and spending all the time, hence, playing “not-Bachs”, mainly a Connstellation and a Severinsen, with some other horn excursions here and there. These have all been excellent horns. Nothing wrong with any.

I recently tried a Bach Centennial Stradivarius 190-37 model. What a beautiful sound. And exceptionally versatile. It does everything a horn does that I need/want it for. And with a flexible sound, adaptable to any genre.

I don't do the kind of, or amount of, playing I once did, so I'm reducing three horns, Schilke B-1, Getzen Eterna Classic, Yamaha Shew to one. I don't need one -each for different kinds of playing. Just one all-purpose horn.

If there's one take-away message to this, it's not necessarily how good a Bach can be, but to always keep your mind open. Especially vulnerable to us older folks, is don't be locked into how we remember things used to be. They can change over time or even, maybe, never really were. Every morning, things start anew.

Best of luck to everyone on your quest for your own Holy Grail.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:37 am; edited 7 times in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree (although I like Bachs and have played one as my main horn since 1992) that things change and require changes. I have never felt much of a difference in playing but since about 2-3 years I feel like I set my embouchure differently, how I hold the horn differently, and how I relax much more into my playing.

Not everything is age-related, some is just better practice routines. So I guess having so many horns available, learning and learning and learning, along with better routines and more precise manufacturing sometimes does change things. Plus I do think that in general newer horns can ease things especially for amateur players, so I keep looking.

I am not quite at the point to reduce to three horns overall, which you seem to have done but in a perfect world I’d have one trumpet, one flugel, and one bass trumpet. But I really like the horns I have, even the pTrumpet serves a purpose (but may have to go at some point).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a great sentiment. Keeping an open mind for new stuff, though admittedly, its easier said than done…we all have our habits and conventions and I’m no different in that regard.

For me, Bachs have always struck me as the perfect brand for classical players. It all seemed very ‘safe, decent and conventional’ to me (and of course the name ‘Bach Stradivarius’ doesn’t exactly scream ‘Uptown Funk’ either ). As I’m rather susceptible to psychological and placebo effects when it comes to music, Bachs just don’t do it for me. Which is a shame I suppose because I’ve seen video’s of some of the very fine jazz horns that Bach makes. But the ‘old American jazz horn’ vibe just works for me in a way that I cannot see in a modern instrument. Silly I know.

But as for that holy grail, I did find it in the Olds Recording I play now so I guess I’m set for the next few decades at least. Then again, even temporary changes can be a good way to improve to the next step so I get what you’re saying. Maybe I should try a new modern trumpet, but entering a store to try a bunch of new horns without having the intention to buy one seems a little rude…

I guess that ultimately what it comes down to is that there are just too many cool instruments out there.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new horn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: