• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 8315G advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylordiving

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 8315G advice Reply with quote

I've just tried out a brand new Yamaha 8315G which I can get for a very good (I think) price (approximately US$2100). With nothing to compare it against it played very easily, sounded great (especially with a Bach 3CFl mouthpiece rather than the Yamaha 14F4 that comes with it) and was very easy to play. I'm cautious for two reasons: 1) It was very light almost to the point where it felt like a toy in my hands and 2) As I said, I've got nothing to compare it against. The price alone makes me want to jump on it, especially since I like the way it sounds but I just wanted to get some advice from anyone who has firsthand experience with this particular horn or my situation in general.
1941 & 1942 Olds Supers
Getzen Eterna Cornet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Yamaha 8315G Reply with quote

I just got one. It's a great flugel. The right mouthpiece makes a huge difference. I am currently using a Yamaha EM1 flugel mouthpiece

Best,

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with a Yamaha flugel.
They are solid, dependable, and easy to play.
No surprise it’s the most common brand flugel you see out there used by working professionals.

In my current gig, 6/7 of us trumpet players in the rotating section have various models of Yamahas.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a Yamaha 631G for the past 9 years and I love it. About 10 months ago I A/B'd a Yamaha Shew model flugel and this 8315G. Hands down the 8315G blew the Shew horn away. I immediately fell in love with it and today it's my go to flugel...and I play AOT of flugelhorn. As far as being light? I also own an Adams F1 which probably weighs a little less that 2 lbs! The 8315G is definitely heavier BUT not as heavy as my 631G. It lays somewhere in the middle between the other two. If you can get a brand new one for $2100 I would JUMP ON IT! WW&BW is selling them for a little over $3000 now. IMO...it's a no brainer! Go for it! Let us know the outcome.

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
ronnyc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 8315G about 9 years ago after playing their 631 for about 30 years. Very nice horn, you can’t go wrong. IMO it’s a great value at that price.

In my experience, it spits the difference between the 631 and Shew if you have ever tried those. Warmer than the Shew, more nimble than my 631. Slots well and slurred notes “click” as I move around. The one thing I wasn’t high on was the threads are very fine and I had trouble getting the bottom caps back on, so much so I had to take it to a repair shop.

I’ve used mine in big band, community concert band, and church and received positive comments. Hope that helps!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be put off by the weight. I think at one time, light weight meant a tinny-ish sound. I don't know if it's more sophisticated design, technology or what but light doesn't mean light tone anymore.

I have an Adams A-1, which is relatively light, and there's no compromise in the sound.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
taylordiving

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took the plunge and grabbed the 8315G and couldn't be happier. A gorgeous instrument, both aesthetically and sonically (even with my mediocre playing!) and it's not at all difficult to play in the upper register although I wouldn't say that it cuts particularly well (which it's not really meant to do in the first place). Now I'm keenly on the lookout for flugel opportunities to the extent that even bucket mute Bb passages will be played on this horn.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice as it's all been pretty spot-on.
1941 & 1942 Olds Supers
Getzen Eterna Cornet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taylordiving wrote:
Well, I took the plunge and grabbed the 8315G and couldn't be happier.

Congratulations!

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: