• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eastman Eb / D trumpets and John Packer Eb / D trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alty62244

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Eastman Eb / D trumpets and John Packer Eb / D trumpets Reply with quote

I hope that no one laughs, but I am a novice when it comes to "off" brands (or those I don't know about).

Can any member comment on (Andres) Eastman Eb / D trumpets...both good and bad.

also.......John Packer Eb / D as well. trumpets......thanks in advance,

Alan altman
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played Eb and D trumpets since 1974, and have been our brass band Eb cornetist for 5 or 6 years. I have owned dozens of different Eb and Eb/D and D trumpets, including Bachs with 239, 229, and 304 bells, Schilke E3L, and Yamahas, Getzens, as well as several Chinese Eb/D trumpets. Most of the Chinese Eb/D were terrible. The response was not good, the slides were not really Eb and not really D.

But recently, I found a really good deal on the Andreas Eastman Eb/D. The tone was great, but at first, on the Eb side, the 5th (4th space E, Eb, D. C#) and 6th (G above the staff, F#, F)harmonics were terribly flat (6th is usually sharp).

I took the horn to my repair guy who is also a PhD in trumpet. He immediately found a burr in the main slide where the water key had been drilled. He reached in with a small hand tool and in about 5 seconds he cured the intonation problem. He also found the horn to be worthy for his students.

I used it to play a featured descant in our concert band this fall, ending on a sustained high C (concert Eb) with the flutes, staying in tune. I also got a lot of good comments on the tone. I prefer the sound over the E3L (too shrill IMHO) and easier than my Strad 239 Eb/D to play.

Moral, I guess is, it is potentially a good horn, but their consistency may not be great.

My 2 cents.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: