• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet ID

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucky929

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Trumpet ID Reply with quote

Ive got two trumpets Im currently looking at buying, havent gotten any reply from the sellers yet, but Im fairly certain they arent what there being sold as. The first one says 1930's vintage Henderson trumpet with a SN of R25575. I cant make a positive ID but that looks like a Conn to me, and if its a SN starting with R Im under the impression that was 1972 and on. The second one is advertised as a Conn, possibly because it was in a Conn case, but it looks to have the earmarks of an early King. It also has in inscription on the bell that might read "perfection"? Any possible help making sure Im at least getting the manufacturer right would be great. Thanks! [/url]https://imgur.com/Z6V6iqt
[url]https://imgur.com/ZU00ydc [/url]https://imgur.com/bFd7dlU[/code][/url]
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serial numbers don't mean anything on a stencil if you're going by the supposed stencil maker serial number list. They rarely use their own serial numbers on a stencil.

Marking like "Perfection" really won't tell you anything about the stencil maker, either.

I don't have any real thoughts as to the makers of these particular instruments. I will say a few things about stencils, in general. While companies like Conn and Buescher did do stencils, far more of them were made in more anonymous workshops, often in eastern Europe.

Stencils are rarely of very high quality. They might be solid, serviceable instruments, but any outfit that's really putting lot of time and effort into making them will usually put their own brand on it. While you might think that the price on these is nice, unless you're getting them for $10-25 on a lark, they're probably overpriced, because there is zero market for anonymous stencils. People watch Antiques Roadshow and think old stuff is automatically worth something. It's not.

Honestly, I'd rather spend $75 on a random used well-known student horn than an old anonymous stencil horn. It's more likely to be fairly playable and reasonably useful. I suppose an old stencil might look cooler on the wall. But, you do you.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
bucky929

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right on the stencils they wont tell you anything, I was trying to determine the maker based off the design of the braces and valve body. The one that looks like a king is about to go for less than $20 on auction in about 20 min. The other one I think Im going to pass on, he wants $100. I currently have a '39 silver liberty model which is going in for complete refurbish, and just looking for something decent as a backup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: