• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn with Unbraced Leadpipe/Bell in Torpedo Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Horn with Unbraced Leadpipe/Bell in Torpedo Case Reply with quote

I've recently picked up a Torpedo case for a horn that lacks any bracing between the leadpipe and bell - they are only connected to the horn at the valve block. The horn's builder recommends placing foam blocks between the leadpipe/bell when placing the horn in a case, but forgot to include the blocks when shipping the horn.

They've shipped me some blocks to use, but until they arrive I've been wondering if I'm alright to stow the horn in the Torpedo case without the blocks. With the bell/leadpipe being unbraced, I'm worried about pressing/tweaking them without some additional support. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Acludwig1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a lot like my 1949 Buescher 400. The bell and leadpipe are soldered directly to the valve block instead of a brace. Although the horn does have a bracing connecting the leadpipe and bell in the normal spots. Sounds like your horn has a very interesting desire. I imagine it feels very open.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played on a horn with no brace between the bell and tuning slide side for abut 25 years. Putting a foam block in there is not mandatory, but it can give a slight sense of reassurance. Little bends and tweaks are too easy otherwise.
Wish I still had that horn!
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - it sounds like to be safe I'm best off waiting for the foam blocks to arrive. I guess the horn gets to spend a few more days hanging out on a pile of towels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: