• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adding trills to my playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Adding trills to my playing Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am new to trumpet and also new to the forum. I am a guitar playing and while playing guitar it is quite easy to do trills and quick notes in a sequence before reaching your target note - you can use hammer-ons and pull-offs to accomplish this.

However, I hear in jazz trumpet that same sound all the time. It sounds so good and is a nice addition to your improvising arsenal. Is there a technique I can practice in order to achieve this and add it to my arsenal?

Thanks in advance.
~Arty
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice sustained trills on all pitches. Even. Vary speed. Arban book is a good place to start.

In a musical-use sense, again preparatory to actual improvisation, pick some common tunes and pre-determine where you will trill. If they come off without a problem just do more of the same. When you hit someplace where you have problems, isolate the trill.

You can certainly use trills, but usually in jazz you use going to and from "upper and lower neighbor tones". Transcribe a couple of solos and hear how these devices are used.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a source to practice from, Arban's Complete Conservatory Method has exercises that would be useful:

Grace notes, gruppettos/turns, (fingered) trills on pages 91-122

"Lip" trills/shakes on page 42-47

Those exercises will help you develop the mechanics. A lot of listening and experimentation helps you figure out how to apply them.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions so far. One that I would like to add is Clarke Technical Studies #4. I find this excellent for cleaning up trill technique - especially whole tone trills. It's also one of my favorite endurance exercises.
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Adding Trills to My Playing Reply with quote

If you want to practice trills within a musical context ---try Charlier Etude 36 Les Trilles....check out Philippe Litzler playing this etude on Youtubehttps://youtu.be/i-9dqd46rtk
Schilke
Getzen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: