• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bought an S22CHD, not a keeper

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurth83

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Bought an S22CHD, not a keeper Reply with quote

It's going back, thank you WWBW for the marvelous return policy!

This is for symphony work, in local orchestras.

Unlike the S22HD (which is a great horn as expected), the intonation on the S22CHD was a bit too wonky for my taste. So away it goes.

I played it into a guitar tuner to check, although I didn't really need to, it just confirmed what my ears were telling me. I spent 3 days with it, so I gave it a little time at least. All I really needed to know was that lipping it into tune was tiresome, and the alternate fingerings were also tiresome. I tried a bunch of different mouthpieces and even a Harrelson gap insert, nothing really made it playable for me. With work I could make it sound good, but I want a horn that works for me, not a horn that makes me work for it.

I think I want a Yamaha, probably the New York Sy gen 3 (YTR-9445NYSIII?). I hear they play in tune better than anything else in that caliber of instrument.

Big, open, dark, and in tune, that's what I'm looking for, at least in theory. Looking forward to trying it out to see.

$5g+ (after taxes) is ouch time though.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't like the horn you ordered because it was symphony oriented but then ordered a Yamaha New York?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means the horn he's purchasing is for symphony use/local orchestras.

It's interesting with the tuner, because I have a C that seems to play in tune with a tuner but there are certain notes I feel are off in a group (especially the D on the staff).
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an S22CHD, not a keeper Reply with quote

kurth83 wrote:

Big, open, dark, and in tune, that's what I'm looking for, at least in theory. Looking forward to trying it out to see.

Sounds like you want a Bb...

All jokes aside, the C trumpet is a different instrument than the Bb trumpet, and your approach to playing it should reflect this. Even if all the intonation quirks were the same on C as Bb, it would still throw off your ear to hear these notes up a whole step. To help you get used to playing a C instrument, see if you can get together with a teacher, local pro, or friend who plays C trumpet, and play back and fourth to get used to the way a C trumpet plays and feels. You might want to try a C trumpet specific mouthpiece as well, like a Bach 1-1/2C with a 24 throat and 24 backbore. A lot of pros like larger throats on their C trumpet mouthpieces.

If you're set on replacing it with another C, you might want to check out the B&S Metropolitan C trumpet at J Landress Brass. Josh is a certified trumpet wizard, and the B&S horn is supposed to be one of the best C trumpets on the market (and it's only around $3k).
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an S22CHD, not a keeper Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
kurth83 wrote:

Sounds like you want a Bb...

All jokes aside, the C trumpet is a different instrument than the Bb trumpet, and your approach to playing it should reflect this. Even if all the intonation quirks were the same on C as Bb, it would still throw off your ear to hear these notes up a whole step. To help you get used to playing a C instrument, see if you can get together with a teacher, local pro, or friend who plays C trumpet, and play back and fourth to get used to the way a C trumpet plays and feels. You might want to try a C trumpet specific mouthpiece as well, like a Bach 1-1/2C with a 24 throat and 24 backbore. A lot of pros like larger throats on their C trumpet mouthpieces.

If you're set on replacing it with another C, you might want to check out the B&S Metropolitan C trumpet at J Landress Brass. Josh is a certified trumpet wizard, and the B&S horn is supposed to be one of the best C trumpets on the market (and it's only around $3k).

Good advice, but your assumption that he isn't an experienced C player already isn't supported by what he has shared with us, since he doesn't indicate either way. You may have hit the nail on the head, but I would hate to see the thread derailed.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a S22CHD. Compared to the 229 I was using before, the intonation was heavenly on the Schilke. I’ve since moved on to a Yamaha Gen II NY.
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nltrumpet wrote:
I own a S22CHD. Compared to the 229 I was using before, the intonation was heavenly on the Schilke.

I had the same experience.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a time I had a Malone modified Yamaha C that had better than average intonation. So much so that I played it for a while without the alternate fingerings near the top of the staff. Over time it became clear that the alternate fingerings played and sounded better so I sucked it up and learned to use and appreciate the alternates. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a horn that eliminates the need for alternate fingering.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
For a time I had a Malone modified Yamaha C that had better than average intonation. So much so that I played it for a while without the alternate fingerings near the top of the staff. Over time it became clear that the alternate fingerings played and sounded better so I sucked it up and learned to use and appreciate the alternates. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a horn that eliminates the need for alternate fingering.

I used to have a Malone C as well (6445HGS) and that thing played like a dream with no intonation issues. I sold it back in 2006 when I quit playing, and now that I'm playing again I'm kicking myself for selling it. Even talked to the guy I sold it to asking if I could buy it back but he had since sold it as well. Now I have an Eastman ETR530 and it plays pretty well as best I can tell with my weak chops.

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh... Big, dark sound.

Too bad you can't order a Kanstul 1510 anymore. Or a Unicorn-like Flip Oakes C trumpet.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGulyas wrote:
cheiden wrote:

I used to have a Malone C as well (6445HGS) and that thing played like a dream with no intonation issues. I sold it back in 2006 when I quit playing, and now that I'm playing again I'm kicking myself for selling it. Even talked to the guy I sold it to asking if I could buy it back but he had since sold it as well. Now I have an Eastman ETR530 and it plays pretty well as best I can tell with my weak chops.

I've been told that it's virtually impossible to make a modern-style C (essentially a cut-down Bb) trumpet that doesn't have the known intonation issues near the top of the staff. Malone's mods help a lot but don't eliminate the problems altogether, at least not on the horns I've tried. My dream horn is a Malone modified Bach 229/MC2 without the extended bell ferrule.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: S22HD not a keeper Reply with quote

Hello all
I owned an S22C for a while and did try the new S22HD. I found I liked a little more resistance in the C3HD better. For me, it also made the 4th partial intonation more manipulative depending on placement in the chord or if I was ascending or descending to it. I have C5L that plays very nicely. Yes, I do have to play with some alternate fingerings, but there is not a professional out there, that doesn't from time to time. And no, I am not a professional, i just watch and listen carefully.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an S22CHD, not a keeper Reply with quote

kurth83 wrote:
It's going back, thank you WWBW for the marvelous return policy!

This is for symphony work, in local orchestras.

Unlike the S22HD (which is a great horn as expected), the intonation on the S22CHD was a bit too wonky for my taste. So away it goes.

I played it into a guitar tuner to check, although I didn't really need to, it just confirmed what my ears were telling me. I spent 3 days with it, so I gave it a little time at least. All I really needed to know was that lipping it into tune was tiresome, and the alternate fingerings were also tiresome. I tried a bunch of different mouthpieces and even a Harrelson gap insert, nothing really made it playable for me. With work I could make it sound good, but I want a horn that works for me, not a horn that makes me work for it.

I think I want a Yamaha, probably the New York Sy gen 3 (YTR-9445NYSIII?). I hear they play in tune better than anything else in that caliber of instrument.

$5g+ (after taxes) is ouch time though.

What is your experience with C trumpets? Is this your first time? Sounds like it. If so, every C trumpet will feel wonky and out of tune. Schilke C trumpets have excellent intonation, better than most. It is very likely that it is you that has intonation issues, not the horn.

Also, big and dark is about the opposite of what you want for a "symphony" horn. Brilliant, focused, and colorful are the attributes for which you should be looking.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
My dream horn is a Malone modified Bach 229/MC2 without the extended bell ferrule.

My old one is out there somewhere. It was a sweet horn. I shouldn't have sold it.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bought an S22CHD, not a keeper Reply with quote

kurth83 wrote:

Sounds to me you need a Ganter Rotary C-trumpet. Sold mine to a guy here on the forum. Great horn, very well made but too dark for me; I prefer bright sounding trumpets, happy with my Courtois C-trumpet mod. Delmotte
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just for the sake of further discussion (harrumph), just what is a dark trumpet and what kind of orchestra's section is the OP wanting to fit in with?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP: You're a "comeback classical player" and you've talked about the lightweight Bb trumpets you currently own, but you've never mentioned what C trumpets you might have owned in the past.

Help the TH brain-trust out here: How much experience do you have with C trumpets, and which ones have you owned in the past?
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Well, just for the sake of further discussion (harrumph), just what is a dark trumpet?

I guess Kurt means a dark sounding trumpet so that will be a trumpet with a fast tapered bell such as a Bach 72 bell

Last edited by Manuel de los Campos on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Well, just for the sake of further discussion (harrumph), just what is a dark trumpet?

I guess Kurt means a dark sounding trumpet so that will be a trumpet with a slow tapered bell such as a Bach 72 bell

That's a fast taper - it expands more rapidly than others as you move down the length of the bell. This tends to impede the transmission of higher frequencies - as does softer metals like copper.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One might be remiss if the new Bach 190 series C trumpets are not tried.
There are some major symphony players testing and giving feedback on these new horns.
The M leadpipe designed by Mike Sachs is a good one to try.

R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: