• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet bore size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacherchops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Cornet bore size Reply with quote

I’m a trumpet player who is about to dip into cornet playing. Wondering about advice on cornet bore size. Should I stick with a ML bore like my trumpets or opt for a L bore more like a traditional brass band cornet.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as big a deal as you might imagine. The trumpet I've had since high school is a .459 or .460 bore, and my other trumpet is a .438. My cornet is a .485. It's not that much of an adjustment going from one to the other - although I will say that pairing the .485 cornet with a British Brass Band-style funnel mouthpiece is a chore. But C cup and B cup mouthpieces are just fine.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a larger bore than you trumpet
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trumpets are in the .450-.460 range and my Conn Victor Cornet is .485 bore but, honestly, I don't notice much of a difference when playing it.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cornet bore size Reply with quote

teacherchops wrote:
I’m a trumpet player who is about to dip into cornet playing. Wondering about advice on cornet bore size. Should I stick with a ML bore like my trumpets or opt for a L bore more like a traditional brass band cornet.

I wonder if the very design of the horn is the more important variable.
I played a Large Bore Eterna during a major part of my life but decided I should have a new horn. So when testing a lot of fine cornets I got stuck with a Bach Stradivarius. Couldn´t fill it......Thought that I had reached the turning point of old age. Not so- switching back to the Eterna I was young again.
Then for 6-7 years a Getzen 3850 (sold the ERterna, still regretting it), probably large bore - this one I could manage but when I tested a Yamaha 6330II I found that one much more easy to play; a little less "sound" but really good enough.
Bottom line: go for a Getzen Eterna new or used!
Large bore - you will have to test the resistance! What´s good for you!
But playing the cornet might be more difficult than the trumpet - most of the time another register, another sound, requiring more stamina if played in a brass band etc etc.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet bore size Reply with quote

teacherchops wrote:

How do you plan to use the cornet?

Do you occasionally want a distinctly different sound from your trumpet and flugelhorn in your performances?

Do you have some music you want to play that is difficult on trumpet? (Cornet with the proper mouthpiece makes double and triple tonguing much easier.)

Do you want to join a British style brass band?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: