• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute for quiet house band playing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Mute for quiet house band playing Reply with quote

So the kids are getting older and more proficient with their respective musical skills and we have recently started (again) a little house quartet. Now, I am the only brass player with the others being all sorts of recorder flutes, acoustic guitar, and cajon/vocals.

The best match we have found so far is flugel but we might still want to add a mute to quiet things down a bit more.

Now: which one? I am leaning towards a bucket mute but what would the TH think? Cup? Harmon? Something funky like a Solotone?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have cup and bucket mutes?
I would ry them both if I have them. If not, I'd go for a cup with that instrumental blend. And I would definitely not use Harmon.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be surprising but I really don’t. Only mute I own (besides practice) is a Peter Gane straight. I had a bunch of mutes, sold some of them because I did not like them (mostly the Wicks), one I lost pre-Covid, one was stolen pre-Covid, and the Wallace cup I just sold because it was so darn heavy. Great sound and much better than any other cup I had played, but really made the horns front-heavy. Never owned a bucket so far.

As I said in another thread, I’m not much of a keeper. If things don’t get used they get put up for sale.

So I may look into a good bucket or a lightweight cup. Any suggestions? Earlier on someone said I was gonna like the Gane bucket but I’d be open to other suggestions.

BTW, yeah, I totally agree on the Harmon. Doesn’t seem to be a good option here.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: