• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

For those who have used aftermarket bells

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnyc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: For those who have used aftermarket bells Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have a tuneable bell Schilke S42 which is my daily driver. As playing opportunities are changing I’d like to add a bell with a slightly warmer sound. (I’ve already adjusted my cup and backbore). Schilke started offering bells in gold brass several years ago so I reached out thinking of another #2 bell maybe slightly oversized but they are only available in the HD (heavy) configuration but that’s not what I want.

I reached out to another well known manufacturer who does a lot of work with acoustics as they have their own similar material and have models with the oversized bell. Their take was that since the bell was designed to go with the horn intonation would suffer using a different brand.

For those who have changed out bells using other manufacturers, how much if any issue did you encounter?

Thanks!

Ron
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main horn is a Bach Strad that I had converted to a tuning bell set up and I have added a few different bells over the years. The horn was built with a 72GH, but I mostly play a 37G. I also have a 5.25" rose brass bell from Carol (Bach 72ish), a sterling bell I rescued from an old Reynolds and a Calicchio 1S. I've also rejected a Bach 43 (for sound), a salvaged Blessing student model bell (for sound and blow), and a Coprion Conn Bell (for intonation).

Generally, the horn makers only have a couple variables in their valve blocks, so it's easy for them to test the different bells and thus the intonation will tend to line up well on a well made stock horn. But that doesn't necessarily mean that a different makers bell won't work on a Shillke, just that it's an unknown. (Wynton's Bach-bell Schilke E3L from the CBS album being probably the most famous).

There are lots of variables to consider besides material, too. Taper of the bell and other diameters at the tail and through the curve (and if that curve is properly shaped) make a pretty noticeable changes to sound color and intonation. Bracing can also play a role on fixed bell horn but that is irrelevant in our cases.

You also have the ability to use the Schilke Adjustable Sound Post which can influence things, too...

So lots of variables and guesswork, which I enjoy, but many don't.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Edwards which is modular to allow for bell and lead pipe changes. I recently ordered some old stock lead pipes form Getzen but no bells were available so I approached Andy Taylor here in the UK. Andy is a genius bell maker and has a lot of experience fitting new bells to a variety of trumpet makes. I told him I wanted something of the Taylor sound (warm rich) and sent the Edwards to him. I am totally delighted... great sound and playability that marries smoothly with the Edwards. I am of course delighted and yes the horn plays in tune. The bell is just slightly heavier than the original Edwards bell but matches this heavier horn. Andy obviously made critical adjustments and didn't just "slap on" a bell. I would imagine that someone like Dr Valve could easily fit a new bell and would know where to get a bell to match what you are looking for.... certainly worth a call as he knows Schilke inside out.
ronnyc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for taking time to reply, I appreciate it.

I was trying to keep my initial post fairly brief, so I did not mention that I have several other Schilkes, one of which is a fixed bell Dr. Valve S42 conversion. Phenomenal commercial horn! Maybe I will reach out to him.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: For those who have used aftermarket bells Reply with quote

ronnyc wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a tuneable bell Schilke S42 which is my daily driver. As playing opportunities are changing I’d like to add a bell with a slightly warmer sound. (I’ve already adjusted my cup and backbore). Schilke started offering bells in gold brass several years ago so I reached out thinking of another #2 bell maybe slightly oversized but they are only available in the HD (heavy) configuration but that’s not what I want.

I reached out to another well known manufacturer who does a lot of work with acoustics as they have their own similar material and have models with the oversized bell. Their take was that since the bell was designed to go with the horn intonation would suffer using a different brand.

For those who have changed out bells using other manufacturers, how much if any issue did you encounter?

Thanks!

Ron

I had my silver flair redone with a valve job and alignment and had an eclipse LYL bell put on. When I sent it in ( my high school horn) it was a very good Flair and was probably mid pack on my 10 horns. It came back my
3rd best horn only eclipsed by my Eclipse with a silver Taylor bell and a courtois Grand Siecel which are the 2 best I’ve ever played or owned. I was ecstatic over the work. Much better hi reg. and a very clear tone. The eclipse and courtois are better for me and the courtois has by far the best blow and ease of play but the silver bell on the eclipse is very powerful and plays above the band so easily. The flair is better than any new horn I’ve tried in last 3 years .
Hop this help you pull trigger. I’ve got the original flair bell if you want to try it.
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: