• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What parameters define a flugelhorn as a flugelhorn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: What parameters define a flugelhorn as a flugelhorn? Reply with quote

I've seen various configurations of flugelhorns, there are players who sound very flugel-like on trumpet and people whose sound on flugel isn't much different than a trumpet. Then there's things like a flumpet.

Are there specific measurements, parameters, ratios that define a particular horn as a flugel?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flugelhorn is essentially a valved bugle.

It's hard to pin down anything more definite than bell size (bigger than cornet) and mouthpiece shape (deeper than trumpet).

I think shorter pre-valve tubing is typical, like a rotary.

Edit: Note I didn't say anything about proportion of conical tubing. Someone else can have that argument.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see flugelhorn as a piccolo tuba. I think it describes its architecture and sound pretty well.

I gather from looking at a variety of them that the designer starts with the bell flare and taper to establish the sound, then works backward through the horn to create a useable instrument. The best results have been when the tubing size diminishes to somewhere around 0.413" - 0.423". at the valve section.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how that definition includes German Flugelhorns. They are a different animal than the French Couesnon type Flugelhorn, but they're still Flugelhorns.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
I see flugelhorn as a piccolo tuba. I think it describes its architecture and sound pretty well.

I gather from looking at a variety of them that the designer starts with the bell flare and taper to establish the sound, then works backward through the horn to create a useable instrument. The best results have been when the tubing size diminishes to somewhere around 0.413" - 0.423". at the valve section.

I read somewhere years ago that in the taxonomy of brass instruments the flugelhorn is considered a piccolo or soprano tuba.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
It's hard to pin down anything more definite than bell size (bigger than cornet) and mouthpiece shape (deeper than trumpet).

Given that you can get any mouthpiece shape for either flugel, cornet and trumpet, I'm kinda puzzled why the mouthpiece shape would be considered a property of an instrument. Receiver shape would propbably be more fitting, though putting a cornet receiever on a trumpet wouldn't instantly into a cornet either I suppose...
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point. I was just reading "Fanfares and Finesse" by Elisa Koehler, and she devotes a chapter to the development of the bugle (including keyed bugles, flugelhorns, posthorns, and Corno da Caccia). Here's a quote from the beginning of the following chapter, on the cornet:

Quote:
Although [the cornet's] proportion of conical tubing is more pronounced than that of the modern trumpet, the bore profile of the cornet features a high degree of cylindrical tubing and is not as conical as the instruments of the bugle family. The mouthpiece of the cornet features a deep cup or funnel and plays a vital role in its unique sound.

(Koehler, Elisa. Fanfares and Finesse: A Performer's Guide to Trumpet History and Literature. Indiana University Press, 2014. Page 62.)
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "classic" answer is that a trumpet is 2/3 cylindrical tubing and 1/3 conical (flared); a cornet is 1/3 cylindrical and 2/3 conical tubin; and, a flugelhorn is all conical tubing (continuously increasing in diameter). These days I think that's been blurred but the flugelhorns I've seen (including my own) all have a lot more conical tubing and big bell flare to help provide that "dark" sound.

FWIWM - Don
popTbop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by popTbop on Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the differences in sound, excluding physical construction, is the mental concept of what the sound should be (body following the mind and all that), and mouthpiece selection. Put a peashooter mpc on a Flugelhorn and you'll get a trumpety sound. Put a deep, conical mpc on a trumpet and you'll get a Flugelhornish sound.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The taper of a flugelhorn bell is very different than a trumpet or cornet. Modern Bb trumpets and cornets use basically the same mutes. You may have to sand the corks down more for a "tight" trumpet bell, or build them up for the most open bells (ironically enough including the Wild Thing trumpet), but it's the same mute body.

A flugelhorn can generally use small tenor trombone mutes. It can be argued that mutes specifically designed for flugelhorns work better, but it can also be pointed out that there's pretty much no point in putting a mute in a flugelhorn in the first place and essentially no literature written for muted flugelhorn... which probably explains why there aren't very many designed-specifically-for-flugelhorn mutes out there.

My point is, if you can't seat a small trombone mute in the bell it isn't a flugelhorn. If you can, it isn't a trumpet or cornet.

And yes, there are extreme examples that fall in the middle. If neither a trumpet nor a trombone mute fits, it's in the middle and I don't have an opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: