• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Artisan vs Classic Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUenvsci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:52 am    Post subject: Bach Artisan vs Classic Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Hi all, hoping you can help me out…. I have both an Artisan and standard classic Bach 1 1/2C mouthpieces. No modifications have been done to either mouthpiece. I know the specs of throat and backbore are a little different. However, what differences should I be hearing? Would there be an advantage to use one over the other in certain circumstances? I really like both, but am having trouble deciding which one should be my main mouthpiece. I play on a standard 180 series 43 bell Bach Stradivarius. Thanks for the input!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really like both, but am having trouble deciding which one should be my main mouthpiece.

Ideally, this would be something to discuss with your teacher. If you don't have one, I highly encourage you to find one. Lessons will help you far more than gear will (unless there is a serious mismatch, which doesn't seem to be the case here).

If that isn't possible, let the sound be your guide. Which one is giving you a better sound? For whichever one gives you the best sound, are there significant downsides to it? If you are getting the "best" sound with one and there are no significant downsides to it, that's the mouthpiece to pick.

Going from distant memory, the only thing I can recall for sure is that the mouthpiece shank on the Artisan 1.5C had a different taper than on the regular Bach 1.5C. As a result, it sat further into the receiver, meaning less gap, which can be good or bad. I less clearly recall that the Artisan also felt smaller in terms of the cup volume.

If you really have no idea which is working better for you, have a musician friend listen to you and get their opinion. But if you can't tell much difference then it probably doesn't matter much at this stage and you should simply pick one and stick with it for a while.

Good luck!
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised its not more drastic, my modern 3c vs my artisan 3C are night a day different in feel, sound and resistance to me. They have drastically different rims. To me they are nothing alike in any way. I am not sure on your 1.5 as I have never played them.

I would suggest working with your teacher and recoding yourself on both mouthpieces so you can hear what is coming out of the other side, one may sound better or may help with articulation.

-marc
deleted_user_7354402

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of my life I played on standard Bach mouthpieces. Only when I went back for a masters degree, I fell in love with the sweetness of tone in the same size artisan mouthpiece. In the majority of the trumpet range the Artisan, to my ears, sparkles more easily and starts a little sweeter in tone. It fit my general personality.

All that being said, I have switched back to the Standard Bach or more specifically the Symphonic Series Bach and also a standard Bach modified with a 24 throat and 24 backbore done by Osmun music. While I like the tone of the Artisan mouthpiece for some things, the upper register of the Artisan is where I don’t care for it as much. To my ears, the sound profile thins out once you get above the staff and start putting the spurs to the volume. It feels like more work up there. For me, the Standard Bach opened with the 24 24 combo makes the upper register timbre and profile match the lower register. So, perhaps I’ve changed over time. I would note that I did experiment with an Artisan opened up with the 24 24 combo and it did open up the upper register but made articulations so diffuse that it wasn’t practical for everyday use.

For me the Artisan has a sweeter “cash register” tone and the articulations are crisp in a way that I love. Sometimes I still use the mouthpiece in chamber settings (I like it’s light brilliance for French type pieces). I will say that the rim profile has a sharper bite feel than standard Bach. If I apply too much pressure, I’ll feel it.
The standard Bach with the 24 24 combo doesn’t quite have the same sound, but the upper register is more similar to the middle and lower register. The articulations can be rounder, good in soft settings, but the punchy articulations take a little more work.the rim is flatter feeling which can be good for relaxing in the upper register…. At least for me Also, I think there is a lot more core to the tone than the Artisan.
The symphonic Bach series mouthpiece has the classic big symphonic tone. The only complaint I have with this mouthpiece is that the articulation can sound more wild, and squirrelly. Pictures at an Exhibition sounds amazing. The Petrouchka Ballerina’s Dance sounds terrible. To make a clean and consistent staccato takes a ton of effort.

Realistically, I use the Osmun 24/24 for most work and the Symphonic Bach for big Broad works. Occasionally I’ll use the Artisan for lighter works. This is just what I’ve come to, for me. Some guys play killer jazz on an Artisan, the rim to me feels similar to standard Schilke mouthpieces (perhaps that’s what they feel) so it really comes down to what you are going for. I hope these thoughts help.
picctpt33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer the traditional series over the Artisan
RUenvsci

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all! Yes, seeking help from a teacher would be great, but it’s not really an option right now. I recorded buzzing and samples of my playing yesterday. The buzz on the Artisan, for me, was clearer and more open. Sound on the horn matched the buzz. Both are great mouthpieces, but the edge goes to the Artisan (for me).
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add a comment: one's preference between the Standard 1.5c vs. the Artisan 1.5c can also depend on which horn you play.

My son plays on both of those mouthpieces as well as on a Megatone 1.5c, and, on his Bach 180SL72, the Artisan sounds better on that horn than the Standard 1.5c or Megatone 1.5c.

On my son's other horn—an old Conn custom, he actually sounds best on a Megatone 1.5c.

So, the combination of mouthpiece and horn may prove another variable to consider.

I like the 1.5 rim myself and, for orchestral music, the 24/24 1.5c on a standard Bach blank is my favorite Bach mouthpiece. However, with my Flip Oakes Bb & C horns, I use five of the 1.5 rim mouthpieces that Flip developed with Mark Curry, because those mouthpieces work so well with Flip's horns. Thus, one can again conclude that the pairing of mouthpieces with one's horns can have relevance to your choice of mouthpiece.
RUenvsci

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWG wrote:
I would like to add a comment: one's preference between the Standard 1.5c vs. the Artisan 1.5c can also depend on which horn you play.

My son plays on both of those mouthpieces as well as on a Megatone 1.5c, and, on his Bach 180SL72, the Artisan sounds better on that horn than the Standard 1.5c or Megatone 1.5c.

On my son's other horn—an old Conn custom, he actually sounds best on a Megatone 1.5c.

So, the combination of mouthpiece and horn may prove another variable to consider.

I like the 1.5 rim myself and, for orchestral music, the 24/24 1.5c on a standard Bach blank is my favorite Bach mouthpiece. However, with my Flip Oakes Bb & C horns, I use five of the 1.5 rim mouthpieces that Flip developed with Mark Curry, because those mouthpieces work so well with Flip's horns. Thus, one can again conclude that the pairing of mouthpieces with one's horns can have relevance to your choice of mouthpiece.

Yes, plus there is variability among mouthpieces. For example, my standard 1.5C is from the mid 90s. Today’s standard 1.5c feels different to me. I prefer the older one.

I mention my horn because I agree some horns matchup best with certain mouthpieces. There is a lot to be said about taper of leadpipe, gap, tuning slide shape, etc. that I think matches best with certain mouthpiece specs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: