• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does Anyone Recognize this Carol Brass Crook Trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgosvig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Does Anyone Recognize this Carol Brass Crook Trumpet? Reply with quote

Hi All:

I'm considering purchase of an apparently nice Carol Brass trumpet.

However, the seller's photos show a model I've not seen before - a trumpet with a crook. I can't seem to find another photo of such a model anywhere online.

This seems to definitely be a Carol Brass horn, as the name is stamped on the receiver. And, despite the crook, it appears to be a trumpet, not a cornet.

I'm wondering if anyone might know anything about this model?

Here's a link to 3 photos...(if I knew how to paste these into the body of this message, I would)...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iooYtFeVodNobBP2A

Thank you, as always, for any illuminating insights.

Ben
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted a Carol a few years ago for someone with and put a Shephard's crook trumpet bell on it. I remember it having a sterling leadpipe. II used a Marcinkowicz bell and left it raw brass with lacquered body. Do you have more pictures?
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bgosvig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Landress Brass wrote:
I converted a Carol a few years ago for someone with and put a Shephard's crook trumpet bell on it. I remember it having a sterling leadpipe. II used a Marcinkowicz bell and left it raw brass with lacquered body. Do you have more pictures?

I'm sorry, Landress, these are the only photos I have.

I was wondering if someone may have customized this horn, similar to what you did. Sounds like you really went to town on yours.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that really irritates me, though, is that I can’t see the second valve on picture number 2. Does this indicate that the second valve is not working properly?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
bgosvig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
The thing that really irritates me, though, is that I can’t see the second valve on picture number 2. Does this indicate that the second valve is not working properly?

I fully share your irritation. As this is coming from an estate auction, managed by an auctioneer that probably knows more about tractors than trumpets, it's impossible to acquire more photos or info. Unfortunately, one must usually bid blind in these situations.

Under these conditions, one can occasionally get a good deal. But...you can also get burned badly - which has happened to me. High risk.

That's why I'm seeking any further possible info from this august assembly of trumpet sages.

Given that I can't find another photo anywhere of a Carol Brass crook trumpet, I'm wondering if this was a custom horn. If no experts on this forum have seen this model previously, then this looks to be a Frankenhorn.

That, combined with unknown 2nd valve situation is cause for caution.
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything except for the 3rd slide stop reminds me of Andalucia. Not many shepherds crook trumpets available, this is the closest

http://andaluciami.com/category/keys/bb/
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

I think the second valve clicks in and out just like a Parker pen. Or, maybe, just clicks in. That gives you a solid A with all fingers up.
bgosvig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superviking805 wrote:
Everything except for the 3rd slide stop reminds me of Andalucia. Not many shepherds crook trumpets available, this is the closest

http://andaluciami.com/category/keys/bb/

I must confess, those are some gorgeous horns. I'm drooling.

If you don't mind humoring me, what is the purpose of a shepherds crook on a trumpet?

Presuming it's still a B-flat instrument, shouldn't you already have all the tubing necessary in a conventional design?

Or, is it just an aesthetic thing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: